Looking to Hire 02/19/2015 06:44 PM CST
Need someone to add a lock to a satchel for phasing purposes. What is the going rate for such a job? And is anyone interested?
Re: Looking to Hire 02/19/2015 08:59 PM CST

No idea what folks are charging. I generally just charge materials which varies depending on exactly what you want. I (Rlen) am currently around the Landing, though usually I'm in River's Rest. I can always meet someone in Mist Harbor, as well.
Re: Looking to Hire 02/19/2015 09:52 PM CST
If you are looking for someone on Teras send me an email and we can arrange a time to meet and get your satchel setup. I generally just charge for materials as well.

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: Looking to Hire 02/20/2015 01:53 PM CST
Its best to use someone you will be able to find again in the future. If you acquire a new container and want it lockable with the same key, you need to use the same smith. Keys can be duplicated by anyone, but only the smith that made it can duplicate a lock.
Re: Looking to Hire 02/20/2015 02:35 PM CST
Good advice!

As of your last logon, your premium service has
been continuous since 2/7/2005.

-- Robert

Re: Looking to Hire 02/22/2015 12:53 PM CST

Thanks for the info. What do the materials cost? I'll be on this evening if you are around, I'll find you.
Re: Looking to Hire 02/22/2015 01:21 PM CST
I was going to write out all the factors but decided it would be easier to cut/paste some of the notes that I had saved off. This should give you a basic idea of what is involved and some of the decisions you need to make.

The cost to create a lock assembly with a -10 lock is 200 silver
The cost to create a lock assembly with a -500 lock is 12,500 silver.
The cost to create a lock assembly with a -1000 lock is 50,000 silver.

The rogue can create a lock to add to certain containers. The lock can be of any difficulty that the rogue can pick open, though a difficult lock is not necessary. The larger the lock size, the more expensive it is to create.
The rogue can also cut keys and eventually customize said keys. It is advisable to have at least two keys; one key to unlock the container, and another key to store inside the container in case the first key is lost. Lockable containers can also be picked open and relocked via LM RELOCK.
Having a container that locks has both practical and role playing purposes. Phasing a locked container will cause the items within to become weightless as well as the container itself, making the service desirable for sorcerers.

The following items can have a lock added to them:
backpack, bankbook, basket, book, box, case, casket, chest, coffer, handbag, haversack, hip-basket, hip-satchel, kit, knapsack, manifest, pack, prayerbook, purse, register, reliquary, reticule, rucksack, satchel, songbook, sporran, strongbox, tome, toolkit, trunk, and tube.

(The above list may have been expanded on recently so we can try other containers you may have as well.)

To duplicate a lock assembly, use the LM LOCK CREATE DUPLICATE syntax inside a workshop. This will create an identical lock assembly to one held in the rogue's hand. This is useful for people who want multiple items that lock, but want to use only one key.
Lock assemblies can be removed from containers, but the lock assembly will be destroyed in the process. Locks can only be removed in a workshop. This is useful for those who have lost their keys and would like to regain the ability to lock and unlock the container with a key.

Making Keys

To cut a key, the rogue must purchase a key blank. Steel key blanks are available in the guild workshops. Key blanks made of various metals can occasionally be purchased at special merchant events.
Keys can be cut to fit specific lock assemblies or to duplicate existing keys. Keys can NOT be cut to fit the lock assembly after the lock assembly is installed in the container. The lock assembly can be removed from the container in case all keys are lost, but the lock assembly will be destroyed in the process. Keys must be cut specifically for each lock assembly; keys made for assemblies even of the same difficulty will not fit. The only exception is if a duplicate has been made of the same lock assembly.

Hope that helps!

-- Robert

Re: Looking to Hire 02/23/2015 11:34 AM CST
You might also want to have the rogue make a duplicate assembly if you're having them use a key blank you got at a merchant or special event. That way you can have locks added to other containers later that use the same key or the assembly needs to be removed for some reason. If you're just having them use a generic key blank from the guild, it's not as big of an issue since any rogue can just rip out the assembly and make new assemblies and keys.

Also, if you're using a special key blank and want it to work with multiple locks, make sure you get a rogue that's familiar with the system. It's pretty easy to make a mistake and end up with a key that only works with one of your locks. (why they haven't made it so you can pull out an assembly without destroying it is beyond me... it would certainly make things much easier)

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.