What do you guys think of... 02/07/2014 08:09 PM CST
I was kicking around some ideas for a potential shop item in the indeterminate future, and was wondering what you (the Lock Mastery practicing population) would think of something similar to my ranger imbue/runestone boxes, but for lockpicks?

The short summary is a box that you can toss a lockpick into, activate it, and the lockpick would be altered into a predetermined design based on the box. As with the other offerings, that design is customizable by merchants. So you could have a signature lockpick that only you can produce.

Now, do you guys think this is something that infringes too heavily on the customization offered by Lock Mastery, or something you'd like to see? The advantages I can see for this approach are you're not limited to color/gem inset, and could do other things like descriptions of the teeth on the pick, or a handle, or its shape, etc.

For example...
"a half-round vaalin lockpick with fine mithril teeth"
"a slightly curved kelyn lockpick with a thin oak handle"

Let me know what you think!

___
GemStone IV will be up shortly!
Sorry guys, my bad :(
Re: What do you guys think of... 02/07/2014 09:02 PM CST
I like the idea!

What about the idea of having it work as an extension to current LM capabilities such that it would produce lockpicks that could still have the edge, inset, or dye customized but would allow for features otherwise not available normally?

-- Robert
Re: What do you guys think of... 02/08/2014 04:11 AM CST
I'd only get one if it was restricted to lock masters. If anyone could have one, I'd regard it as a cheap gimmick that indicates the user is a quack and wouldn't take one unless you paid me, and then I'd bin it.

i.e. its not a serious infringement if its restricted to lock masters, and if its unrestricted it would be like allowing a rogue to imbue via the use of an imbue box.
Re: What do you guys think of... 02/08/2014 12:22 PM CST
What if it could also be a custom noun? I have shards, teeth, bone, hairpins, etc. Would the noun be something fully customizable?
Re: What do you guys think of... 02/08/2014 05:17 PM CST
As a completely tangential idea...

What about a rod that when waved at your wizard familiar it gives it a disguise? And along similar lines something for Ranger animal companions?

And now back to the regularly scheduled thread topic.

-- Robert
Re: What do you guys think of... 02/09/2014 08:11 PM CST

I think that is a cool idea.

Throw in an ability to make them wearable and pick the slot?

-E
Re: What do you guys think of... 02/09/2014 08:21 PM CST
>>Throw in an ability to make them wearable and pick the slot?

Outside of the purview of an off-the-shelf item. And really, I'd prefer to save wearable picks for a traveling merchant. Maybe I should make one of those...

GM Marstreforn also floated the idea of a similar item but for Lock Mastery clasps. People could make their own signature clasp that way. Would that be something you guys would be interested in?

___
GemStone IV will be up shortly!
Sorry guys, my bad :(
Re: What do you guys think of... 02/09/2014 08:35 PM CST
I really like the signature clasp idea but not sure it would get that much use overall. I can't imagine a clasp that I would want to use that frequently for anything.

-- Robert
Re: What do you guys think of... 04/29/2014 09:15 AM CDT
Nice to make people feel good that stuff may be safer, but give the box to a cleric or empath and one cast and the box is toast, plus a nice pile of silver or loot, depending on the outcome. Another way is to have a sorcerer to phase into the box and get items. I think that programming time would be better spent to make lock quality clasps that can go on containers that prevent critters and other from opening the containers/boxes ever. This would be useful as it is a pain to hunt in areas where one must double pack items and lock em all to ensure critters do not steel items while hunting.