'Tough' boxes 12/06/2013 07:11 AM CST
Just curious how top-end 'tough' boxes have to be to get a rep from picking? I've picked several boxes now which I thought would give a rep but haven't. 2x picking at level 19: boxes were around the 400 mark. Anyone know what the cutoff is? Thanks.
Re: 'Tough' boxes 12/06/2013 08:21 AM CST
It's a percentage of your max, it varies with your training, the 3x training percentage is lower than the 2x percentage. I don't recall the specific numbers but kinda hazily remember around 75% for 2x I think?

There's a minimum level of pick you can use as well, based on your total LFM ranks. Veniom will always work.

I just tried to get full roundtime. Aiming for that seemed to always land me within the range. I think half roundtime will work too but I'm not positive.
Re: 'Tough' boxes 12/06/2013 08:48 AM CST
For a 2x trained picker, its 75% of your maxlock. The exact size will depend on stats, pick used, injuries, lore etc. in the same way that your maxlock does.

e.g. 40 ranks picking, 20 DEX, fresh glaes (mod 1.6), maxlock is 256 and 195 would give a rep.
if you are using lore and your lore is worth 50 and use vaalin (2.5) instead, maxlock is 525 and 395 would give a rep

If you are using lored vaalin, its quite possible you wouldn't get a rep at 400, but with an appropriate pick for the lock you could get a rep at 200. Another possibility is that your pick has been broken too many times. About 4 breaks and it won't give reps any more.

As you progress though LM the mod of the pick you can get a rep from increases. At level 19, you probably have glaes still working, but eventually it has to be veniom (2.2).
Re: 'Tough' boxes 12/06/2013 09:02 AM CST
>I just tried to get full roundtime. Aiming for that seemed to always land me within the range. I think half roundtime will work too but I'm not positive.

Depends how highly trained you are. The more training you have, the more certain you can be that full roundtime will give a rep. If get full RT on a roll of 99, you'll get a rep. A 2x trained picker might need to get to Great Lord before getting a rep on full RT with a roll of 2.

A 3x trained picker can quite easily be getting reps with no RT, however the general principle is right. Aim to get the most experience per box subject to using a pick good enough to count for LM.
Re: 'Tough' boxes 12/06/2013 11:22 AM CST

thanks for all the replies. i think i have two separate problems - my rogue actually has 50 ranks of lockpicking at 19 so maybe a 400 box (think it was actually 380 or 390) was only just below the cutoff. I was using a vaalin in that example.

my second possible problem is that for the majority of boxes, i'm using an ora lockpick for easier boxes so perhaps this is too low of a mod for me to be using. i'll buy a glaes and see if i start getting more reps.

seems to be quite a science getting it all just right. with 50 ranks, the boxes i get from critters that i can actually hunt are too easy! been hunting thunder trolls, wind witches and ogre warriors. only got the 50 ranks so i could use vaalin, but am stopping now until just double trained.
Re: 'Tough' boxes 12/06/2013 11:56 AM CST

>>my second possible problem is that for the majority of boxes, i'm using an ora lockpick for easier boxes so perhaps this is too low of a mod for me to be using. i'll buy a glaes and see if i start getting more reps.

You'll get a message indicating whether the modifier on the lockpick used wasn't sufficient for a rep.
Re: 'Tough' boxes 12/06/2013 12:40 PM CST
Ora will work through rank 4, the minimum is only glaes until rank 7, then laje 8-11, vultite 12-19, veniom 20+

Tsoran's LM guide is saved in various places e.g. http://www.cmnservicesgroup.com/tsoran/lm.html and is the most comprehensive LM guide out there.

Lored it could well not give a rep with vaalin, but unlored it should have been reppable.

At low level the bottom of the rep range doesn't change much with training. Your maxlock goes up but the required fraction of it goes down and that more or less cancels. At high level you can get reps off significantly lower locks with less training but not at low level.

If you are getting locks around 400 you can easily get reps. I could get reps off locks lower than that when I mastered and had about 140 ranks picking at that time. However I did find the Landing suffered from excessively easy locks, and progressed pretty slowly until I moved to Icemule around level 30 (its the undead in Icemule with the big locks, if you avoid undead its locks are also pretty low).