How long did it take you to master Lock Mastery? 06/07/2012 02:43 AM CDT
I started on the Lock Mastery skill years ago but only work on it in small to medium surges. My biggest hurdle at the moment is being bored with the picking contests. I have 10 reps in my current task and just can't seem to work up the motivation. But in the time it took me to get as far as I have through lock mastery training, I think I could have mastered Subdue and Gambits several times over.

For those of you who mastered the skill, how long did it take you?

Maynist
Re: How long did it take you to master Lock Mastery? 06/07/2012 08:15 AM CDT
Roughly a year (on and off). 3x picking and disarm plus self lore plus living on Teras with Basalt Blat's good supply of easy locks and fire mages good supply of difficult locks provided plenty of materials to work with.
Re: How long did it take you to master Lock Mastery? 06/07/2012 08:16 AM CDT

About 3.5 years and numerous lockers of stashed boxes. Things like picking contests I actually preferred as I knew how long it would take me to do the task. Once I got far enough I just..HAD to finish. Let me tell you the that mastering felt quite wonderful, I love that 5 second rt for picking as well.

Re: How long did it take you to master Lock Mastery? 06/07/2012 03:19 PM CDT
I've mastered it with two characters. I'd guess each took at least a couple of years. But I play a lot of characters, so my playing time is very spread out among them.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: How long did it take you to master Lock Mastery? 06/07/2012 04:39 PM CDT
Roughly level 45, I forget exactly.

I miss the picking contests, slap hands is what I hate.
Re: How long did it take you to master Lock Mastery? 06/07/2012 11:20 PM CDT
>My biggest hurdle at the moment is being bored with the picking contests.

took me a bit under a year. but there were generally dozens of boxes sitting outside the Rift needed picked at any given moment. never hard to find the trap I needed.

As for picking contests, I suggest disarm all 5 first, then pick. I rarely lost with that strategy...actually for the first few ranks I think just picking and taking the penalties for the traps got me thru, but at later ranks I had to disarm to win. Use your best pick and lore...speed maters, nothing else.
Re: How long did it take you to master Lock Mastery? 06/08/2012 10:01 AM CDT
For picking contests at the end I would disarm and pick the first box, then disarm two through five and pick two through five.
Re: How long did it take you to master Lock Mastery? 06/08/2012 05:42 PM CDT
Took me about a year to master picking, but I took a break from GS in the middle of it so might have been a bit more.

For the picking contests, as long as you don't miss any traps and finish before the trainer, you won't fail the task. I just wrote myself a script to do it for me and used a vaalin pick.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: How long did it take you to master Lock Mastery? 06/08/2012 06:18 PM CDT
Disarm the lot then pick the lot works best I think. You can judge which pick to use based on how far the master has progressed when you have completed the disarming. Vaalin every time will win pretty much all the time, but if you are trying for record scores, you will do better starting with lower ranked picks when you have a lot of time in hand. I just used rolaren, invar and vaalin. I had macros set up to disarm each box (F1-F5), pick each box (F6-F10), and swap the pick I was holding for vaalin (F11). Once I was well into the swing it took a couple of fumbled picking rolls to make the contest close.
Re: How long did it take you to master Lock Mastery? 06/09/2012 02:05 PM CDT
I disarm all five and then pick all five. I rarely miss getting the rep (it happens maybe once every other rank, and only then because my luck is really bad). I just find the task...well...a big yawner.

I have managed to cap (after 17 years) and am hunting the invaders in Ronan's Temple in Solhaven. As there aren't as many Rift Hunters as there used to be, I need to largely hunt up my own boxes these days.

Maynist
Re: How long did it take you to master Lock Mastery? 06/11/2012 01:40 PM CDT
I only disarmed the first 4. The bonus points gained by not spending the RT detecting and disarming that last box worked out in my favor (and really in my favor if there wasn't a trap on the 5th box).
Re: How long did it take you to master Lock Mastery? 06/11/2012 08:57 PM CDT
I generally disarm three (any three) boxes and then pick all five using the invar lockpick. If I run into any sort of delay I switch to the Vaalin lockpick instead. I usually finish early enough that the bonus points for time offsets any traps I set off.

As to how long to master lock mastery - I've been at it for... 5+ years? and am in my mid 30s - during that time I've mastered alchemy, nearly three weapon types in forging, and archery a couple of times but I'm still working at it and will eventually master it - I generally only pick my own boxes so this certainly slows the process down quite a bit.

-- Robert