lmast wedge (x-post from ebon gate) 10/05/2011 10:28 PM CDT

Is it intended that warriors get the benefits of opening any container using an item that will not break (their own head), or a weapon that will not break while lock mastery rogues will always have to make components that will continue to yield no experience (wedges)? A warrior could train in lock picking and also train up to self cast lock lore and pick some boxes and bash others they cannot pick and never need to make components.

There is no mechanical benefit of wedges not breaking besides reducing encumber or total items carried (I could carry 499 wedges and open all my boxes with a pick until I find that 1/100 boxes that I cannot, using a wedge garners litter or no fame or experience and I much rather actually learn using a pick). Just wondering if there was a discussion about how rogues having one wedge for life would make them over powered somehow in the long run that I haven't thought of yet.

Rolfard the Rogue-ist
Re: lmast wedge (x-post from ebon gate) 10/06/2011 05:39 PM CDT

If they couldn't be usable for reps, and/or only usable by masters of the skill, I don't see why this couldn't be made available. In fact, mebbe as a perk it could be possible to create yer own metal wedge too.

~D
Re: lmast wedge (x-post from ebon gate) 10/06/2011 06:00 PM CDT
I think I prefer the way it is now, with the trade off between bashing/wedging being breaking stuff in the box, and breaking wedges.

Maybe some magic self-repairing wedges or something though? Like an urnon one that slowly reforms itself, or just a wedge that fixes itself each day because 'a wizard did it.' As limited items.

-Keleborrn.
Re: lmast wedge (x-post from ebon gate) 10/07/2011 01:42 AM CDT
I agree with Keleborrn that I'd rather wedges break than box contents. Furthermore, I only carry one wedge and nearly never use it. Acid/cloud vials are a much better way of getting into a plated lock. The wedge is for the (very) rare fused lock. As to out of range locks, well, a wedge is no way to treat a lock.

Rlen
Re: lmast wedge (x-post from ebon gate) 10/09/2011 02:14 AM CDT
I think that it would be hard to argue that Lock Mastery does not come out on top in any comparison between it and Batter Barriers. Wedges may be marginally worse than battering in one or two regards, but how many other uses besides wedging does Lock Mastery have? It is not intended, in any case, to give rogues a single item that can open all treasure boxes for only a marginal time cost.

As I indicated in the other thread, I may do a release of stronger than normal wedges from time to time because it would be fun and they'd be useful. Never in unlimited quantities, and absolutely never a permanent wedge, though.
Re: lmast wedge (x-post from ebon gate) 10/09/2011 07:58 AM CDT
>Is it intended that warriors get the benefits of opening any container using an item that will not break (their own head), or a weapon that will not break while lock mastery rogues will always have to make components that will continue to yield no experience (wedges)?
Rolfard

Bashing is woefully sad compared to Wedging. The only way it comes out ahead is it doesn't 'break'. Factor in all the ways wedging comes out ahead and that one perk bashing has still isn't worth talking about.

-farmer