Prev_page Previous 1
Profession Hunting Combinations 01/05/2011 11:53 AM CST
Does anyone have any recommendations for what professions work well hunting together?

My friend and I have decided to come back to Gemstone after a very long hiatus and were trying to determine the best professions to choose that would compliment each other while hunting.

Thanks!
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/05/2011 12:30 PM CST
Generally a caster and a square are good together. Or a semi and a square. My favorite was always a wizard and warrior or a bard and a warrior.

-Adam

"You guys took all the pretty places." ~Anonymous
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/05/2011 01:46 PM CST
Wizard and Ranger best as it gets. Rangers are walking mana pools and the Wizard - Ranger spell circle combonation can't be beat. Back in the day I and a certain wizard lass used to tear it up. Then while resting offered complete set of mass spells to all present. Even better are one VOLN Master and one COL Master. JMHO
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/05/2011 04:26 PM CST
As both a paladin and a warrior, bard was always my favorite to join with for hunting. All of their boosters help each other well, and both are better against stanced/proned foes. Mixing with the real pures who can mostly attack defensive targets can be a problem at times, although bards can ward things in a pinch too.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/05/2011 07:08 PM CST
I'm a proponent of dual pures. Wizard and cleric gives you access to 6 different magic spheres. If you're targetting more 1 - 40 range, you can't go wrong with semis. Bard and paladin would be pretty fancy.

The Nalfein Kitten
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/06/2011 12:48 AM CST
Let me put a word in for sorcerer-rogue, which I've found to compliment one another very well. With the sorcerer disabling and the rogue ambushing, its very rare for any critter to live longer than half a round in a room with us.

Something actually surviving long enough to attack either of us is a novelty.

Dave, Brandain's Bard

(Disclaimer: This does not apply to mobs of assassins swarming said sorcerer outside the Landing gates)
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/06/2011 10:58 AM CST
Pretty much any combination of spell pure-semi-square works well. The combined arms concept is the key. Pure or semi casts an AOE disabling spell (e-wave, censure, sympathy, nature's fury, song of whatsit), whereupon rogue ambuhes critter's head or warrior M-strikes the heck out of it. Voila!

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/06/2011 11:37 AM CST
Haste and a lance, or haste and a Claid is a pretty mean combination. I think Wizard/Paladin is a great match up because the wizard can provide elemental-based spells to off-set the Paladin's lack of defense in that area, and the same goes with spiritual spells for the Wizard. The Paladin is then free to use a weapon like a lance with 1605 and Zealot up, swinging with an insanely low RT.

Warriors can fill the role of the Paladin, but cannot provide the spells that the Pali will bring to the Table. Rogues aren't really meant to be open hunters. They can be, but they aren't at their best. Hunting with a hider is a headache, too. Rangers have a lower AS than most other semi's. Bards are a close second, but they are better off going the pure route, and you lose out on the physical aspect which strengthens the dynamic.

Pretty ideal setup, if not the best.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/06/2011 05:13 PM CST
I'd go with wizard/ranged rogue myself.

Later on there'd probably be some more powerful combinations, but I can see that being lots of fun right out of the gate, and also fun for when you're on your own.

-Keleborrn.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/06/2011 06:10 PM CST
>>Hunting with a hider is a headache, too. Rangers have a lower AS than most other semi's. <<

A) Coordination with a hider is necessary, but once you get accustomed to working with the same person for a while, it gets easier to predict their patters. And if you can haste them, it's even better since it reduces their hiding RT.

B) Not sure that is true; partially depends on weapon style and stats of the ranger. My mage has hunted with an archer ranger. Totally deadly when hasted.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/06/2011 06:50 PM CST
Really you guys can play any combination and make it work well, it just depends on how well you guys know the professions you pick. I think E's player has it right though, the deadliest combo would probably be a wizard and a paladin.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/06/2011 07:27 PM CST
I love Bard\Warrior, but I ran Wizard\THW Empath the other day with a friend, and let me tell you, that was wonderful.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/06/2011 08:23 PM CST
I was playing a caster empath and hunting with a caster wizard friend for a while, and it was downright scary at times.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/08/2011 03:31 PM CST
Sorcerer + Empath is almost as fun as a Bard and a Sorcerer.

Just my two cents.

Magarven the Mad
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/12/2011 10:14 AM CST
Cleric + Bard

great synergy on AS/DS buffs

-James-
player of Fremie

Mirayam says, "You are not a rogue, sir."

Mirayam exclaims, "You are noble!"
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/15/2011 11:13 AM CST
My paladin hunts with an ambushing rogue.

She ambushes once then stays out, usually. Helps she's my wife and we sit three feet apart, so we can talk without typing.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/21/2011 06:13 PM CST
Pure empath and wizard is probably my favorite combination. They compliment each other fantastically.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/22/2011 09:34 AM CST
>>Pure empath and wizard is probably my favorite combination. <<

Well, of course if you have a spirit caster and an elemental caster together, they can share spells and pump up each other's defences, which is always helpful to survival. Note that a sorceror (yes, I insist on using that variant spelling! Sue me!) can complement either of the above professions, since they have access to both elemental and spiritual circle spells.

The main point is to have two characters with different abilities, so that their combat capabilities augment each other's.

Square + pure
square + semi
2 (different class) semis
Semi + pure
2 pures of differing spheres

All of the above combinations can provide that needed diversity.

Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/22/2011 10:23 AM CST
Wizard is really the only non-square that pairs with squares competitively, in my opinion. Yeah, everything can really be hunted solo (short of the Scatter) - so any 2 characters can get the job done quickly - but only wizards have the spells to directly enhance squares and do it without an opportunity cost.

Use 509 and 506 to hulk up your square buddy, drop an ewave so you get exp when they murderize everything, go back to the tavern when fried. Wizard uses less mana without having to directly attack, square gets better at every single thing we ever do from those 2 spells...

Well - I just thought of square-empath - but that's working a little differently in my mind :D

-Keleborrn.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/22/2011 10:43 AM CST
Don't forget about semi's, Kel. Bards can offer song of tonis and a bunch of buffs, and Paladins can add to weapon DF, DS, blocking, or Zealot if they want to go all-out.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/22/2011 10:50 AM CST
Even hunting partners who are both squares can do well as long as the two people know how to work together.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/22/2011 11:01 AM CST
307 and 310 directly enhance squares without any cost to the cleric.

Pick any two you fancy playing. As long as they are not both ambushers there will be a significant benefit.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/22/2011 11:15 AM CST
>>Use 509 and 506 to hulk up your square buddy, drop an ewave so you get exp when they murderize everything, go back to the tavern when fried. <<

Use 101, 103, 107 and 202 to hulk up your square buddy, drop sympathy when they kill everything, so you get experience ...

Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/22/2011 01:05 PM CST
>>As long as they are not both ambushers there will be a significant benefit.

Not always true, if you happen to be hunting something that requires set up two rogues can work very well together. Like giants, one legs, the other kills, and the roles can switch back and forth.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/22/2011 01:12 PM CST
I'm not saying other combos won't do well and have fun, I'm just saying you could do be more destructive if you don't take the time to buff up your square buddy is all...

It's all fun, I'm just thinking along the lines of what I think would be most efficient if you got 2 shattered accounts and wrote perfect scripts. I would wager that pure-pure, pure-semi and semi-semi would outperform pretty all of the square-semi and square-pure combos except wizard-square. I will say that I'm not really considering lower levels though.

Square-swinger (har har. I mean another square or a swinging semi/pure) would be an exception to my made up rule I bet. More FoF, big benefits from side by side. More scars, and chicks dig scars...

-Keleborrn.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/22/2011 01:14 PM CST
<<Not always true, if you happen to be hunting something that requires set up two rogues can work very well together. Like giants, one legs, the other kills, and the roles can switch back and forth. >>

That's a small subset of critters though. And does the group bonus to treasure work if you're not actually grouped? Ambushing is awesome alone, but it sucks for playing with other people a lot of the time.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/22/2011 01:22 PM CST
>>That's a small subset of critters though. And does the group bonus to treasure work if you're not actually grouped? Ambushing is awesome alone, but it sucks for playing with other people a lot of the time.

Yah, they really do need to fix hiding with groups.

And of course most everyone else will out preform against squares, something else that needs fixing.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 01/22/2011 02:04 PM CST
>>And does the group bonus to treasure work if you're not actually grouped? Ambushing is awesome alone, but it sucks for playing with other people a lot of the time.

According to Warden, yes it does. "Group" bonus was simply meant to indicate that the more people that struck a creature, the better the treasure likelihood. A shame he left before answering any other questions regarding that system that needed addressing.

As an ambusher, I always felt like my favorite pairing was with a sorcerer. By the time they had the limb disruption off, I was already in place to land a finishing strike. Now that I've switched over to ranged, wizards are definitely top notch partners.

The L behind the Laphrael

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a shoe.
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Laphrael
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/23/2011 06:09 AM CDT
I really like empath/sorcerer, though I think warrior/empath is also a lot of fun.

I think as long as the two of you are in professions you'll like, anything will work really.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/23/2011 07:11 AM CDT
Taeghan and Myr's paladin/rogue (decoy/actual threat ;) ) combo works better than one would expect. Any pair should work well provided you can work well together.

Keith/Brinret
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/23/2011 07:31 AM CDT
Paladin absently asks, "Stalking?"
>
The voice of Rogue drones, "Stalking."
>
A slow, clunky hunting team just went north.

Pass.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/23/2011 09:51 AM CDT
This is what I meant by learning to hunt well together Ev. I've watched Taeghan and Myr hunt. She hides, stalks and does a specific whistle. Taeghan never has to ask anything and they're moving again in 3 seconds.

Keith/Brinret
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/23/2011 09:56 AM CDT
I won't argue it cannot be done, or even done well. I will argue that the pair will be less effective than non-hiders, though, based on the limitations of the stealth combat system.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/23/2011 10:46 AM CDT
It's true, unfortunately. Ambushing is also not very good for sharing kills, too. If it takes 2 swings, it's sub-optimal.

I generally find it better to stay in the open and spam cmans and aimed attacks to the head to try to keep everything stunned/prone/unable to cast.

With other people around I don't have to worry so much about getting caught in the open in offensive.

-Keleborrn.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/23/2011 10:57 AM CDT
Taeghan and Myriamie have the benefit of having their players a) know each other for nearly 16 years and being very in tune with each other and b) sitting a few feet away from each other while playing.

That said, I do that that, with a little practice, a paladin/rogue hunting team can be fantastic. If the rogue is able to ambush to begin then stay in the open for the rest of the fight if there's a swarm, it works really well. However, it takes a dedicated hunting style on the part of the rogue. Because she fights out in the open so much, Myri will likely never be able to give up a shield. She can't ever be a true stealth rogue.

The practice part would be a necessity, too. Even with those two benefits I mentioned above, Myri still gets caught in Taeghan's spells once every few months or so during the 3-second "hiding without being grouped" window. It's still a super combo, though, and especially well suited to bandit hunting.

~~k
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/23/2011 11:59 AM CDT
As mentioned, we have the added bonus of sitting a few feet from each other. We may not type conversations much while hunting, but we're always talking.

Myri can stealth it up if she wants, and is extremely effective (gremlocks and their bloody perception notwithstanding). If I finish a bounty before she does, she just necks everything. I'll add my 1614/1630/mstrikes to help.

We finish most bandit tasks in 7-8 minutes, tops.

I would argue that we may be as efficient a pair of hunters as you can find in any instance on the game, but again, that's largely because we sit near one another and have always played these two characters together.

Paladin/rogue is incredibly effective.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/23/2011 12:18 PM CDT
Wizard/ranger has always been my favorite combo. Really I think pure/ranger-bard is the best combo. Rangers can unstun, bards have encouraging shout or whatever it's called. Rangers have a ton of utility and when I'm in a group I don't bother with the hiding/stalking/coughing routine, just slows you a down a ton. I just stay in the open and spike thorn everything.

-Drew/Chiv

A raggedly-dressed lass lopes by, slowing long enough to whisper, "The smuggler's cutter 'Live Bait' just pulled into Glok's Pier!"
>
Paulydee exclaims, "Boats are here!"
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/23/2011 03:20 PM CDT
>Wizard/ranger has always been my favorite combo. Really I think pure/ranger-bard is the best combo. --Drew

Agree, although, the best combo is likely Wizard/Droit or Wizard/Gnimble. They drop ordinance on fools.

-Sea Wizard

>A green-eyed white cat belches, and a bolt of blue flame explodes into the air.
>Rimalon points at Kilthal. A puff of silver smoke envelops Kilthal. When the smoke clears, a frog is squatting in his place.
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/23/2011 07:54 PM CDT
I'll have to vote for Bard/Paladin for sheer power...with group AS buffs and song of tonis it's just rediculous.

or for Pures, Sorcerer/empath, though it still startles me how effective empaths have become at hunting (since I started playing when AOL was still at an hourly rate and empaths had a hard time killing anthing they could actually learn from at that point)

Also rather enjoy sorcerer/rogue....limb disrupt right leg....ambush head...done.

--Jurp
Re: Profession Hunting Combinations 03/23/2011 08:02 PM CDT
I think wizard/wizard is by far the fastest hunting combination I have been involved in. You spend way more time resting than hunting.

-- Faulkil
Prev_page Previous 1