Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/19/2014 05:44 PM CST
>> I've finally accepted I have to start hunting the bowels and it's proving unhealthy with that giant hand spells 100% kill rate.<<

You're hunting with what? An empath? I've hunted 3 caster professions there from mid 80's to early 90's, including my empath. Yes, that stone fist type attack is more effective than the player version, but that's to be expected. I suspect Iloke cheats by giving his followers a better version. I don't recall 100% fatality though; seemed a lot less. Unless you count getting incapacitated by it and having another critter come in and whack you while stunned. That usually leads to an unfortunate result, raising the mortality rate. What I really hated was the krynch's rolling attack (much better than the monk version!), since they would charge in from another room and whack me before I even knew they were there :P

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/19/2014 06:33 PM CST
>You're hunting with what? An empath?

Yes, that's all I play.

>I don't recall 100% fatality though; seemed a lot less. Unless you count getting incapacitated by it and having another critter >come in and whack you while stunned.

So far every giant hand spell from a jarl had killed Tanivar by itself. An Elder did one yesterday for the first time and that was a long stun and it beat Tan to death. I managed to get a Mass Interference spell off against a jarl later that day (only a +32 to the attack roll) and it's first giant hand spell put Tan down for a short stun, two third level wounds, and half his blood gone. Amazingly he recovered from the stun, lasted through the stand RT, and got away to the next room and into a major sanct.

>What I really hated was the krynch's rolling attack (much better than the monk version!), since they would charge in from >another room and whack me before I even knew they were there :P

Haven't noticed this attack yet and I've never hunted monks. Something else to be wary of.

I've gotten the impression that being weak at casting the major spirit debuff spells is going to prove a real flaw in Tanivar's training while hunting in the bowels. The odds of getting a Silence spell off successfully against a jarl is even worse than that of getting Mass Interference off successfully. I have to spend an awful big chunk of his 303 manna pool before a cast scores on a jarl.

What tactics did you use when hunting in there using an empath? I'd really like to keep playing around the Landing where there are more players.

Tanivar's currently set up to be good with empath spells and web spells for combat, but their not capable of killing earthies and Iilokes quickly enough for Tan to be the one to leave alive.

Tanivar Somakre

Retired 'vulture'
Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/19/2014 06:41 PM CST

I can tell you that as a rogue, the bowels was not any fun alone, ever. Being with someone did not make it much more fun either.

A well formed group is your best bet there, with everyone doing their role to take them apart. Not a solo friendly area for any class, really.

~The red-robed summoner steps forward, bows respectfully, then steps back. His hood falls back slightly and his dark sea blue eyes stare out from the shadows. He grins wickedly, then steps into the shadows.
Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/19/2014 10:01 PM CST
I did Minotaur's as long as I could then skipped the bowels. Plane 2-4 in the rift was good until 93/94. All of them are within technical walking distance.

-Geijon
Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/20/2014 12:28 AM CST
>I've finally accepted I have to start hunting the bowels and it's proving unhealthy with that giant hand spells 100% kill rate.

A bit off topic, but here's me grepping log files for stone fist. 0% death rate:

A massive stone hand appears in the air before you!
The stony fist clasps around you, squeezing you in a its powerful grip, crushing you like a vise!
... 20 points of damage!
Blow to the eye swells it shut!
You are stunned for 5 rounds!
... 15 points of damage!
Nasty blow to your abdomen!
--
The huge fist clutches at you, but you avoid its crushing grasp!
--
You almost avoid the massive hand, but it catches you between its rough, stony fingers, squeezing you in its powerful grip!
... 10 points of damage!
Light blow to your left arm.
An Illoke jarl looks weakened!
The ground melts and churns as an Illoke jarl rises to the surface!
An Illoke jarl lifts his huge foot up and slams it into the floor, shaking everything violently!
--
--
--
--
--
--
An Illoke elder looks weakened!
--
You almost avoid the massive hand, but it catches you between its rough, stony fingers, squeezing you in its powerful grip!
... 15 points of damage!
Nasty blow to your chest!
You are stunned for 1 round!
--
The stony fist clasps around you, squeezing you in a its powerful grip, crushing you like a vise!
... 25 points of damage!
Strong blow to your left arm breaks it!
You are stunned for 3 rounds!
... 15 points of damage!
Nasty blow to your left leg!
--
An Illoke elder looks weakened!
--

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/20/2014 03:11 AM CST
I haven't yet been to the bowels, but as a warrior even just messing with mystics and shaman... yeah, stone fist sucks. This is from a square with 2x PF, 2x CM, 1x Dodge, and fully trained for full plate, unencumbered. Luckily if it doesn't kill me outright, I can usually escape with berserk.

I happen to have a set of plate armor that is very resistant to earth attacks. I'm super, super tempted to see what sort of impact that has once I get to the bowels. I would imagine it is about the best thing I can do against the attack. Training wise, I'm not sure there is much that is going to help. I've seen pures and squares get totally owned in there, almost regardless of training at like level. I noted Throgg's highlight of 0% deaths, but I'm guessing anecdotally that is post-cap and not like level.

Glurph

>wtrick tslice
You try to stuff your razern morning star in your ear.
Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/20/2014 03:36 AM CST
My logs were like-level, halfling sorcerer in plain enchanted robes. Probably the only unusual spell I have that might be related is Prayer (and who doesn't need to pray before going to the Bowels?). My stats are good, and my training fairly solid IMO, but no crazy enhancives besides a fair bit of extra Aura.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/20/2014 06:59 AM CST
What's being said here implies the bowels are not that bad. What you hear talking to people in game is that the bowels are very bad. Tan's experience is usually a crushed head or such from that giant hand spell.

Tan's numbers are:

Strength (STR): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Constitution (CON): 74 (12) ... 70 (10)
Dexterity (DEX): 70 (15) ... 70 (15)
Agility (AGI): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Discipline (DIS): 96 (18) ... 96 (18)
Aura (AUR): 93 (21) ... 93 (21)
Logic (LOG): 84 (17) ... 84 (17)
Intuition (INT): 77 (13) ... 77 (13)
Wisdom (WIS): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Influence (INF): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Mana: 304 Silver: 3199

Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Physical Fitness...................| 266 166
Arcane Symbols.....................| 200 100
Magic Item Use.....................| 180 80
Spell Aiming.......................| 266 166
Harness Power......................| 234 134
Elemental Mana Control.............| 90 20
Spirit Mana Control................| 183 83
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 183 83
Mental Lore - Telepathy............| 25 5
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 150 50
Survival...........................| 183 83
Perception.........................| 183 83
Climbing...........................| 160 60
Swimming...........................| 145 45
First Aid..........................| 266 166
Trading............................| 30 6

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 25

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 40

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 102

See anything in these numbers I could change to make him as immune to the giant hand spell as some of you are? Keep in mind an empath's skill costs.

Tanivar Somakre

Retired 'vulture'
Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/20/2014 08:52 AM CST
All I did was grep ALL my log files for stone fist and post the results, with a majority of misses and a few minor hits.

Kaldonis (at level 89), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Combat Maneuvers...................| 50 10
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 20 4
Physical Fitness...................| 190 90
Arcane Symbols.....................| 280 180
Magic Item Use.....................| 190 90
Spell Aiming.......................| 280 180
Harness Power......................| 188 88
Elemental Mana Control.............| 190 90
Spirit Mana Control................| 190 90
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 90 20
Sorcerous Lore - Demonology........| 163 63
Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy........| 114 28
Survival...........................| 50 10
Disarming Traps....................| 140 40
Picking Locks......................| 140 40
Perception.........................| 190 90
Climbing...........................| 130 35
Swimming...........................| 130 35
First Aid..........................| 90 20
Trading............................| 50 10
Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 40
Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 40
Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 100

Name: Kaldonis Harvest-Moon Race: Halfling Profession: Sorcerer (shown as: Witch Doctor)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 99 (9) ... 99 (9)
Constitution (CON): 86 (28) ... 86 (28)
Dexterity (DEX): 96 (38) ... 96 (38)
Agility (AGI): 97 (33) ... 97 (33)
Discipline (DIS): 97 (18) ... 97 (18)
Aura (AUR): 96 (18) ... 96 (18)
Logic (LOG): 97 (28) ... 97 (28)
Intuition (INT): 97 (33) ... 97 (33)
Wisdom (WIS): 96 (23) ... 96 (23)
Influence (INF): 85 (12) ... 85 (12)
Mana: 264 Silver: 0

Assume I usually have like 115 Aura and 101 Wisdom, unlikely to have any bearing on stone fist.

Then again, this is a log-grab from me warcamping earlier this week (1712 and society symbols missing):

You currently have the following active spells:
Armor Support ...................... 2:13:22
Curse of the Star (bonus) .......... 0:45:29
Spirit Warding I ................... 2:56:34
Spirit Barrier ..................... 0:56:29
Spirit Defense ..................... 0:56:25
Disease Resistance ................. 2:58:59
Poison Resistance .................. 3:56:18
Spirit Warding II .................. 1:06:15
Water Walking ...................... 1:06:11
Fasthr's Reward .................... 1:06:07
Lesser Shroud ...................... 1:06:03
Spirit Shield ...................... 1:32:25
Bravery ............................ 1:36:26
Heroism ............................ 0:54:42
Prayer of Protection ............... 1:32:45
Benediction ........................ 1:39:14
Warding Sphere ..................... 1:39:29
Prayer ............................. 1:35:26
Elemental Defense I ................ 2:25:02
Elemental Defense II ............... 2:38:50
Elemental Defense III .............. 1:21:32
Elemental Targeting ................ 3:11:15
Elemental Barrier .................. 3:05:37
Thurfel's Ward ..................... 1:35:07
Elemental Deflection ............... 1:41:27
Elemental Bias ..................... 1:41:03
Strength ........................... 1:33:27
Elemental Focus .................... 1:38:00
Natural Colors ..................... 2:25:22
Resist Elements .................... 1:51:02
Phoen's Strength ................... 1:38:17
Mobility ........................... 1:50:54
Cloak of Shadows ................... 3:25:27
Prismatic Guard .................... 1:41:36
Mass Blur .......................... 1:35:22
Foresight .......................... 1:34:16
Mindward ........................... 1:34:40
Blink .............................. 0:00:41

Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/20/2014 08:57 AM CST

Maybe i got lucky. Outside the two elementals i found the rest of the bowels pretty easy to deal with. Sunfist major bane to help take a leg off then a chop at the neck. I simply stay away from the elementals when i solo.
Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/20/2014 11:27 AM CST
You look like you are level 81. Level 89 critters are going to do nasty things to you if let them manoever you.

Crush fittings/Web bolt and a partner/Stick to the area without Jarls until you have a few more levels.
Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/20/2014 04:14 PM CST

I will seconded on crush fittings. Forgot that one. It helped a ton.
Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/20/2014 04:33 PM CST

Just looked it up on Krakiipedia. Who has the Crush protection specialization and can it be done to an empath's armor?

I suspect not getting those 3rd level head, chest, and abdomen wounds might be a Good Thing(tm). :)

Tanivar Somakre

Retired 'vulture'
Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/20/2014 08:01 PM CST

Not sure what time you play but I thought Hood(...Sorry I can't remember the full name) can put the crush protection on your armor. Try looking for him and asking. I think Dasmik too can do that too to armor.
Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/20/2014 10:38 PM CST
>> I noted Throgg's highlight of 0% deaths, but I'm guessing anecdotally that is post-cap and not like level.<<

No, it was mid 80's to early 90's. And please, I NEVER claimed 0% deaths! I said my death rate was a lot less than 100%. Huge difference; many times they squished my head like a grape with that attack.

>>Haven't noticed this attack yet and I've never hunted monks. Something else to be wary of.<<

Heeeh! No, silly; I was referring to our own PC monk characters, who can learn a combat maneuver called the rolling krynch. It is, I assume, named after the krynch's maneuver attack in the Bowels. They can form into a boulder in the next room, then come rolling in and try to run you over. You never see them coming until they either succeed or fail in their attack. They can also do this while in the same room with you, but in that case you get a clear warning and have a chance to act.

The Bells of Hell
go ding-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Simucoin Store Down 11/22/2014 01:35 AM CST
Tanivar check your play.net email sent you some info

~Shi'larra
One bold fella breaks from the chain and climbs up on Brinret's chest, grabbing a hold of the tufts of hair on both sides of his head and holding him still! A fat, wet kiss is placed before the monkey disappears