Spurred to Action 02/08/2011 12:28 PM CST
It's come to my attention that there are some offers on the table for the purchase of spurs, including but not specific to those garnered from chivalric and Imperial-related roleplay.

As a primary note, we recently (within the last few months) lowered alteration restrictions to allow spurs. Spurs don't make a knight, but all knights must have spurs...

...which brings us to the second point. I don't want to discourage the free market, but the spurs from the Solhaven quest were given as a result of extraordinary chivalric roleplay and are linked to your title, as well as to the noble who awarded them. If it comes to my attention that you have sold them, there will be consequences.

And since spurs are relatively unrestricted now, that should never be a problem!

Auchand

You may have heard of me.

The ongoing live write of my novel-in-progress:
http://story.shadowling.com
Re: Spurred to Action 02/09/2011 09:51 AM CST
>And since spurs are relatively unrestricted now, that should never be a problem!

This is probably worth some clarification, since the timorous beasties on the Players' Corner had a couple of valid questions about the availability of spurs as alterations.

Spurs are an allowable alteration from appropriate pin-worn items, and can obviously be added to footwear like boots that would logically be able to have spurs on them. The only stipulations are that these spurs should not, in descriptions or markings, imply that a character is a knight errant or member of a Turamzzyrian chivalric order, such as the Order of the Golvern Star, the Silver Gryphons, etc.

In case my pronouncement about 'consequences' was nebulous or sinister-sounding, here's some clarification. Not everyone with spurs is a knight, but every knight has his or her spurs. They're part of a bundled reward received with the knighthood for extraordinary chivalric roleplay AND defense of Imperial interests from a roleplaying perspective. Selling a very rare item given by a Turamzzyrian noble as a personal honor would be seen as a paramount dishonor within the Empire, and it only makes sense that one's knighthood (along with the titular 'Sir' and 'Dame') would be stripped in those circumstances.

I'm well aware that GemStone is a game, but in any society (even a fictional one) actions have consequences. It's because GemStone is a game, and because I want people to have fun within its bounds, that I reiterated and clarified our policy about creating your own spurs when it seemed like misunderstandings about that policy were leading down a potentially unpleasant road.

Auchand

Re: Spurred to Action 02/09/2011 02:15 PM CST
What's an appropriate pinworn item to alter into spurs? And is it possible to add spurs to boots, either in a long description alteration or a show alteration?

And documentation wise, are spurs in Elanthia normally used for horseback riding and other mundane things? Or are they pretty much just a status symbol....

-Keleborrn.
Re: Spurred to Action 02/09/2011 03:45 PM CST
WTB mule spurs

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Spurred to Action 02/09/2011 06:36 PM CST
>>The only stipulations are that these spurs should not, in descriptions or markings, imply that a character is a knight errant or member of a Turamzzyrian chivalric order, such as the Order of the Golvern Star, the Silver Gryphons, etc. - Auchand

Sooo...

This Order of the Golvern Star, they fight demons on the Wall, correct? How many demons have to show up away from the Wall in order for them to send a patrol or dispatch a squad to handle the ridiculous (seemingly) that continue to appear In Solhaven and the Landing? The backdoor to the Empire is wide open and demons seemingly love to use it. These guys could teach us some good tricks or maybe vice versa.

I think the Order is possibly one of the most fascinating and intriguing things about the Empire. I wish someone would flesh it out some more. The Wall should be added as a hunting ground...gives me goosebumps.

Thanks for clarifying on the items you touched upon in your post.

~Galenok
Re: Spurred to Action 02/10/2011 07:43 AM CST
While I can't speak to Solhaven/Vornavis, the Landing probably isn't much of a blip on the radar for the Order. While the Landing may have fun with demons every now and then, the Wall experiences them at a much higher rate. And what the Wall guards is far more important than the potential trade income of the Landing. In the skew of things, the Landing is still just a trading outpost in the far north, dwarfed by probably every major city in the Empire. The Landing is an object of importance more to the Imperial provinces in the north, such as Vornavis to Jantalar, than to Tamzyrr. Is it impossible for a member to appear up north? Nah, but it would take something big or the personal interest of a member or someone powerful.

GM Scribes
Re: Spurred to Action 02/10/2011 07:48 AM CST
Hey, thanks for the response Scribes! It's understandable, too. I'm sure the sporadic demons in the Landing and Solhaven don't draw much imperial interest but it was a thought. So much for wishing. ;)

~Galenok
Re: Spurred to Action 02/10/2011 01:18 PM CST
>This Order of the Golvern Star, they fight demons on the Wall, correct? How many demons have to show up away from the Wall in order for them to send a patrol or dispatch a squad to handle the ridiculous (seemingly) that continue to appear In Solhaven and the Landing? The backdoor to the Empire is wide open and demons seemingly love to use it. These guys could teach us some good tricks or maybe vice versa.

The Order of the Golvern Star has a much wider scope than just fighting demons. They're pretty much the elite aegis against threats to the heart of the Empire.

This is not an excuse for not developing them, but part of the allure in the Order of the Golvern Star is that there is some mystery to them. Their training practices and internal culture is secret, but there is some documentation on the GM side about what they do and who they are.

>The Wall should be added as a hunting ground...gives me goosebumps.

Hunting grounds take time to get approvals for. We're talking years. We have limited development resources, and almost every town guru has stated the need for a hunting ground in his or her area. If it was easy to add them, I would totally be squeeing with you!

Auchand

Re: Spurred to Action 02/10/2011 01:36 PM CST
>>Hunting grounds take time to get approvals for. We're talking years. We have limited development resources, and almost every town guru has stated the need for a hunting ground in his or her area.

QFT.

I think we've been asking for higher level hunting in Solhaven since we had the Jants stolen from us. It's been a long long time, so yeah, I know how long it takes.

>>If it was easy to add them, I would totally be squeeing with you!

Guess we'll have to wait on that bit of fun.

~Galenok
Re: Spurred to Action 02/15/2011 06:45 PM CST
I'm with you, Galenok, on how much fun it would be to hunt the Demon Wall. On the other hand, I wonder if part of the allure and continued exciting-ness of demons is how rarely appear and we get to fight them. It's tough for me to balance out those two aspects...which fortunately or unfortunately, I don't have too, since per the last few posts, it's not likely to happen in the forseeable future anyway.

However, I also agree that a demon heavy storyline, even mini-storyline, possibly including intervention from the here-to-for mysterious Golvern Star would be pretty cool. The GMs could be suitably vague about the secrets of the Order, ie, a Golvern Star representative shows up, slays demons alongside us and then vanishes, leaving us to speculate with much gnashing of teeth and tearing of hair, to the delight of the GMs behind the scenes. It would both give us something to chew on, depth of the Empire-wise, allow us the fun of fighting some demons, and allow the GMs to gleefully enjoy teasing us with their (supposed?) secret knowledge of the inner workings of Elanthia.

Everybody wins!

*Mohrgan grins cheerfully*
Re: Spurred to Action 02/15/2011 06:57 PM CST
I think an appearance by the OGS would cause less questioning amongst certain individuals, and inspire something akin to a catatonic state for these people.

Or a whole lot of "Dude!" "Dude?" "DUUUUDE!" going back and forth.

-A

http://azuresun.net
http://www.twitter.com/SolhavenGS for Solhaven updates and other happenings around town.
Re: Spurred to Action 02/15/2011 08:22 PM CST
Okay, Aydan, that was funny. And so true.

~Galenok
Re: Spurred to Action 02/16/2011 12:11 AM CST
>>Or a whole lot of "Dude!" "Dude?" "DUUUUDE!" going back and forth.

Only if followed by appropriate quotes of, "What's MINE say?"

"SAHWEEET! What's MINE say?"

~
GM Emeradan
GS4-EMERADAN@PLAY.NET
~
"If you love, love without reservation. If you fight, fight without fear."
"Why's it always the ... that pass the test?"
"Not bad... let's do that again."
Re: Spurred to Action 02/16/2011 09:04 AM CST
Given how proficient the OGS members are supposed to be, you might not actually see them at all.

Sir Edumond was capped or near it for the time, and he told us on several occasions that he was the green-horned new member that got sent out to the Landing because the others had actual work to do.

A many-years veteran of the OGS would probably arrive on the scene like Walker, Texas Ranger. Swords would swing, heads would explode, and he/she would be gone. And to drive home just how special they are? They'd ride off on a living horse.

-a
Re: Spurred to Action 02/16/2011 11:11 PM CST
lmao but.. now I am in serious danger of imagining the Demonwall as populated by a few score platemail-sporting Chuck Norrises.. D=

~Diana, Seomanthe's (much less colorful) keeper
Re: Spurred to Action 03/31/2011 03:50 PM CDT
Where can I read more about this demonwall??
Re: Spurred to Action 03/31/2011 03:52 PM CDT
There's some mentions of it here:

http://www.play.net/gs4/info/tomes/human_history/turamzzyrian-timeline.asp

I'd just search for it as that doc is a bit of a beast.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Spurred to Action 04/01/2011 08:59 AM CDT
That is the best source on the Demonwall for now. Largest wall in Elanthia! Visible from Outer Space!

GM Scribes
Re: Spurred to Action 04/10/2011 06:22 PM CDT
Are there mongorian on the other side?

~James
Player of Nontan and Septimius
The Hoot Club, RR's finest group of friends.
http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Nontan
Re: Spurred to Action 04/11/2011 08:35 AM CDT
Just mongorian beef.

GM Scribes