Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/07/2017 04:39 PM CDT
Heya;

So, I'll try to keep this brief. Homes cost a decent amount, are a good drain to make them look nice, and really don't offer a TON of functionality besides some super naughty closed door stuff that I know you GMs are always peeping into (pervs).

I don't think it's an unreasonable ask that homes should provide a mechanically similar benefit to something like table at the local inn. This would not only drive down any competition for tables (which I realize is not as bad as it once was due to player base atrophy, but also increase foot traffic to an otherwise incredibly alluring, cool part of the game. Rather than offering spellups at your thrak table, offer spellups in your home... Or people could eventually just go to your home to see you if you're resting somewhere. It really increases the likelihood that a player would be at their home if they're not doing anything.

With these changes, homes could see increased popularity and could potentially be expanded upon to offer an economic drain on the silver economy... which I understand is something that is much needed in the current environment.

Secondly, there's some anomalous behavior with how Lich interprets the XML that is sent from homes on the WFE. The XML corruption stems from inconsistent handling of broadcasts to the room window in Stormfront versus WFE. After a few discussions with more knowledgable programmers than I, a conclusion was reached that it was inconsistent with other room window broadcasts. Seemingly because the broadcast just states that you see their home, you see their furniture, without the full text from the initial look/etc.

~Whirlin
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/07/2017 05:20 PM CDT
Man I would really enjoy seeing player homes utilized more. +1 to all of this.

~Land Pirate Maylan~
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/07/2017 05:26 PM CDT

I'm pretty sure my home is a node already, but it would be cool if homes were more useful and used.

In DR one can buy SimuCoin furniture to store stuff in your home. So you literally go home, get something out of the wardrobe, change your clothes. I loved it :)

But it might be all sorts of fun to turn a home into a gathering place! The door auto-closes, making it not friendly. What else do we need to make them centers of activities, roleplay, and stuffs?!

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/07/2017 05:29 PM CDT

>I'm pretty sure my home is a node already, but it would be cool if homes were more useful and used.

it is not
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/07/2017 06:25 PM CDT
>>In DR one can buy SimuCoin furniture to store stuff in your home. So you literally go home, get something out of the wardrobe, change your clothes. I loved it :)

Private properties offer this. What would be done for them, or do they just lose that unique ability?
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/07/2017 08:05 PM CDT
Absolutely +1 to home node.

I remember this conversation coming up several years back. Any reconsidering to be done?

~Amanda, player of Treeva
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/07/2017 10:34 PM CDT
>In DR one can buy SimuCoin furniture to store stuff in your home. So you literally go home, get something out of the wardrobe, change your clothes. I loved it :)

Most all furniture in DR is functional - stores items inside, on top, etc. You want a bed full of stuffed animals? You can have a bed piled with as many teddy bears as that item will allow. You want a bookshelf to store your books? Buy one. The benefit of buying furniture from the simucoin store is that the items are larger and hold more things. It's a good money sink for those of us who enjoy having their character's home reflect their quirky personalities. I really, -really- wish this was a thing for premium subscribers in GS. As it is, homes are a little underwhelming.

I'd also like to see more merchants willing to alter furniture. I know someone has been alternating shops/homes lately, but I wish the service was a little less rare of an occurrence.

tl;dr We love homes and want to make the most of them.

>Private properties offer this. What would be done for them, or do they just lose that unique ability?

Private properties are multi-room and are built like normal areas. They don't share any mechanics with premium homes, so this is really a non-issue. Suggesting an upgrade to one system does not obligate one to suggest upgrades to a completely unrelated system that very few have access to. If you're concerned that improving premium homes impinges on the functionality provided by private properties, by all means, make suggestions!
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/07/2017 11:43 PM CDT
>>Private properties are multi-room and are built like normal areas. They don't share any mechanics with premium homes, so this is really a non-issue. Suggesting an upgrade to one system does not obligate one to suggest upgrades to a completely unrelated system that very few have access to. If you're concerned that improving premium homes impinges on the functionality provided by private properties, by all means, make suggestions!

I'm aware of the differences between a premium home and a private property. While it's true private properties are most often, multi-room, the personal storage functionality is also a benefit that they alone provide.

Currently, private properties are the only opportunity, aside from lockers, to get personal storage. They are also very rare, and often times very expensive to obtain. When they were offered in the Simucoin Store, they cost more than $1000.

Making a statement that it's a "non-issue" makes me believe you don't have a private property, because it would most likely be an issue for anyone who does have one, if their unique expensive functionality were released to the masses.

While I may also like to see homes improved, that improvement shouldn't lessen the value of what others have paid for.

Instead of offering access to "new" storage, homes could offer access to the locker in your homes town. That would provide the "storage" function that people are requesting without reducing the value of private properties.
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/08/2017 01:16 AM CDT
>Instead of offering access to "new" storage, homes could offer access to the locker in your homes town. That would provide the "storage" function that people are requesting without reducing the value of private properties.

Locker access in private homes would be much appreciated, were it deemed feasible. I think there's plenty of room between no storage and private property levels of storage, though, to allow for an implementation of some token storage for roleplay/minor display purposes in premium homes if, at some point, someone chose to tackle the system to allow it. Being able to throw an couple items on a table shouldn't be a perk valued at multiple hundreds of dollars.

I would like to see premium homes have more social currency. The node suggestion could be a good one, or it could go the route of encouraging people to retreat to their private node rather than interacting at public nodes, which is the argument I've heard raised against the idea in the past. At this point I really don't know whether it'd be a net gain, loss, or a wash.

That said, I don't expect to see premium homes getting any serious mechanical overhauls any time soon. I want to say the system, like player shops, has gained a reputation for being a GM-killer. (And yet, Retser lives still, so who knows what the future will bring.)

But hey, if we're throwing out wish list ideas for homes, and if they ever do get development, consider giving people the option to have more than one premium home per account, either by default or by simucoin purchase to unlock additional slots - even in ye aulden days of higher population, there were huge swathes of lower class neighborhoods that stood empty, and I know multiple people who'd love to dress up a grungy shack for an alt to live in.

PS - I mentioned nodes so this post was on topic, right? Right.

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 110 silver coins for it."
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/08/2017 08:41 PM CDT
As someone who does have a private property, I would be fine with the idea of adding in a DR-style upgrade option for premium homes, to include containers with (presumably limited) storage... so long as those of us who have an existing private property are afforded the opportunity to upgrade ours accordingly. So, if a premium homeowner has the ability to upgrade two objects to each store, say, 10lbs worth of items, I would expect that I could add at least that same amount to my private property, if not double that amount.

Similarly, if a node addition option is added to the premium homes, then I'd like to see similar compensation for my private property. Perhaps all rooms are now allowed to be full nodes. Or perhaps I'm afforded one of the future 'upgrade' options at no cost (that are not yet available), such as the addition of a workshop/summoning chamber/etc if I don't have one presently. Or perhaps I'm afforded another scripted feature.

I'm all for improving premium homes (and would likewise take advantage of any improvements for a second character). But I'm with VEYTHORNE in that I want to make sure that it does not unduly diminish the monetary investment already made.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/09/2017 04:43 PM CDT
I would absolutely agree that I wouldn't want to diminish the value of the properties. I would have to draw a line at offering storage though, as that seems incredibly redundant of the offering of increased locker storage and multiple lockers already offered by being Premium, and I think we'd see a lot of houses popping up JUST for storage, rather than the intent of having a little dwelling... Perhaps adding a room or two, which can be outfitted, similarly to shops.

And I would certainly hope that each of the big private dwelling places has at least a node... unfortunately, not familiar enough with all of them to know that though.

~Whirlin
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/09/2017 06:50 PM CDT
>I would absolutely agree that I wouldn't want to diminish the value of the properties. I would have to draw a line at offering storage though, as that seems incredibly redundant of the offering of increased locker storage and multiple lockers already offered by being Premium, and I think we'd see a lot of houses popping up JUST for storage, rather than the intent of having a little dwelling... Perhaps adding a room or two, which can be outfitted, similarly to shops.--Whirlin

I can definitely see the appeal of having, say, a table that is able to store up to 5 lbs of things on it. That's a great way to display items of personal interest to your character, such as a quest item or trophy. It's also very handy for entertaining with food/drink items, or to use as a makeshift alter. Very limited storage like that I'm fine with, and I suspect that most private property owners would be as well.

I can likewise see the appeal of being able to access one's locker. I'm a bit on the fence there, though I'm more inclined to be fine with it than not - in particular if it's the locker for the character whose home is listed in the description (and thus not necessarily available to all characters on that account).

But if we get to locker-level of storage in terms of capacity for volume or mass on top of what is offered in a locker? That's where the idea definitely devalues the private properties.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/09/2017 10:49 PM CDT
>I can definitely see the appeal of having, say, a table that is able to store up to 5 lbs of things on it. That's a great way to display items of personal interest to your character, such as a quest item or trophy. It's also very handy for entertaining with food/drink items, or to use as a makeshift alter. Very limited storage like that I'm fine with, and I suspect that most private property owners would be as well.

This is exactly what I want, personally.
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/11/2017 12:20 PM CDT

I'm also a private home owner; and I wouldn't mind limited upgrades to premium homes but I do think in the long run - unless there is a massive overhaul the point is moot.

I was around when premium homes were first released and I have observed many discussions about them. Premium homes don't exist ingame like anything else exists. When a player leaves and closes their premium home it vanishes inside. When they return it remakes itself. I believe, but am not positive, that they were created that way to save server space during the time period they were created. Therefore, having storage inside would be a very difficult thing as it would likely destroy any item stored inside that wasn't part of the 'remaking' process.

Private homes are very different as they are permanent structures like most other buildings around. Each private home has a node and storage of some kind.

I wouldn't be opposed to nodes in premium homes as a private home owner but I also would appreciate an upgrade to private homes as it is expensive to acquire and maintain them. Perhaps the full home noded or a supernode; something special.

As to premium homes, I would suggest purchase-able scripts for them as a possibility. Make them more RP friendly; for example if your character is a baker you can buy stoves and what not that are functional and perhaps there could be a worktable that would only hold food items (which are subject to loss of course due to the nature of the home). But at least while in the home and using the scripts, whatnot it is functional. Same for other items.. vanities that have mirror and hairbrush scripts or closets that have rummaging through wardrobe scripts etc.

I would have to admit I would be opposed to locker access in premium homes as that is what the CHE is for. And let me tell you it can sometimes be hard enough to get members to participate with the CHE house much less hang out there if it wasn't for locker access. I wouldn't want to see the CHE destroyed because they lose the ability to provide the populace with lockers.

Having said this; I wouldn't mind a premium home type addition to the CHE houses where more benefits could be afforded to the members. For example, Silvergate Gardens Neighborhood with homes and a locker annex onsite. I say this because I know firsthand how hard officers of the CHE work and having something that would lose members from their organizations is not something I could support.
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/11/2017 09:48 PM CDT

You study your surroundings and use your keen knowledge of the arcane. It quickly becomes evident that this room is not a magical workshop.

You sense a convergence in the flows of essence and gather that this place must be a natural earthnode.
You do not detect the distinct harmonies of a mana pool.

~Whirlin
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/11/2017 09:54 PM CDT
So many hearts. Thank you!!

~Amanda, player of Treeva
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/12/2017 08:24 AM CDT
Ahem... spoke too soon... Nodes turned off! And my key's to other people's house/etc seem to have gotten removed!

So you're all definitely working on updates... and I absolutely appreciate the fact that you are.

Please reach out to me if you need any testing or any way I can support your efforts.

~Whirlin
Re: Homes: Nodes and XML Corruption 06/12/2017 10:42 AM CDT
Alright... Now that I've provided an update on the node side, and they're seemingly doing something about it, time to provide an update on the other side for the XML corruption.

This XML corruption is incredibly isolated to Lich with WFE, it's underlying cause is that Lich authenticates to Simu as though you're using Stormfront, regardless of Front End. Meanwhile, Simu has different ways of managing their two different front ends on an XML basis, because Stormfront has a bunch of additional shineys that WFE does not have. This particular line of corruption comes from the way Lich interprets the XML sent to Stormfront for room window updates within homes. It's important to note that this is different than how it pushes updates about every other room! Specifically, the room title remains, but the room description is never actually encapsulated in a room_description tag, as it can be variably reset using the HOME command.

So, tl;dr, It would be a fairly robust alteration to how Lich interprets XML, or a change on Simu's side to how they're pushing the XML, or it would require rewriting of how the room descriptions are stored for homes, or... Someone could write a lich script to fix it for WFE... which is exactly what happened.

I worked with Ondreian, Tysong, and Lost Ranger (sorry, forgot IG name), to create a script... And by worked with, I mean, they did all the work, I just provided logs/imput/whatnot. Lost Ranger identified the overall problem and a method for solution, Ondreian took point establishing the framework, Tysong did polishing work. The script is now available as homefix.lic on the Repository.

~Whirlin