Moving Furniture Didn't Work 06/09/2014 09:34 AM CDT
I decided to move out of Gamaliya Alley to the Port Valley Vineyards in River's Rest. The instructions for moving furniture are pretty confusing (or maybe buggy). Since I encountered serious trouble and my furniture wasn't really worth that much, I decided not to ASSIST and finally sold the deed including the furniture and just re-bought everything I wanted. My only real loss was the 9 hours and some 100k moving fee which was basically a waste (and some loss for the furniture prices). Here I provide a run-down of what I did.

So, firstly I went to the mover, and moved my house from River's Rest to River's Rest.

>order shipping 4
"Yes, yes" says a friendly looking clerk. "For the paltry sum of 112500 silvers I will arrange cartage for your fine furnishings to River's Rest. That should take about 9 hours for standard shipping, but for a few extra silvers I can get it here much quicker!"
Please order shipping 4 CONFIRM this order before proceeding.
>order shipping 4 confirm
"Yes, yes" says a friendly looking clerk. "For the paltry sum of 112500 silvers I will arrange cartage for your fine furnishings to River's Rest. That should take about 9 hours for standard shipping, but for a few extra silvers I can get it here much quicker!"
A friendly looking clerk steps up to you and accepts your silvers, glances at you and exclaims, "Why yes, we'll get your furnishings shipped to River's Rest right away!"
The clerk glances about his shop and mutters something to himself.
>hands
You have a home deed in your right hand.
>read deed
The deed is for the property located in River's Rest at an area described as "Gamaliya Alley." This was formerly the home of Kaldonis Harvest-Moon. The original purchase price of the home was 100000, and is now appraised at 72000. It is accompanied by several furnishings of moderate value. The furnishings are currently being moved from their original location in River's Rest. The furnishings are currently in transit from your former residence. The furnishings should be available in a bit over 1 hours.

I felt it was a little strange that they said 9 hours but the deed said 1 hour, but anyway I waited more than 9 hours. Then I went to test HOME CLAIM, which basically wouldn't work as shown on a test:

[Carousel Court, Silver Park]
The northern end of Silver Park is less crowded than its southern counterpart, lush with a large expanse of carefully groomed grasses. Playground equipment of all kinds dot the land, frequently in use by gleeful children and adults. The centerpiece of the city park, The Silver Park Carousel, dominates the southern end of the grounds - a testament to the artisans who poured their heart and soul into its construction. You also see an elaborate polished marble hall, an imposing dark stone edifice, a plain manor, an elegant riverstone manor and a plain edifice.
Obvious paths: northeast, south, northwest
>read deed
The deed is for the property located in River's Rest at an area described as "Gamaliya Alley." This was formerly the home of Kaldonis Harvest-Moon. The original purchase price of the home was 100000, and is now appraised at 72000. It is accompanied by several furnishings of moderate value. The furnishings are currently being moved from their original location in River's Rest. The furnishings have arrived and are ready to be moved into your new home.
>home claim
...Checking for the home to match your deed...
Your deed does not match any of the homes in this area.

>hands
You have a home deed in your right hand and a silver lockpick in your left hand.

Okay I thought, well so I need a new home, so I go get one from the realty and fork over another 100k. Now I can go claim my new home so my furniture can be moved into it...

[Port Valley, Vineyards]
Great red strawberries grow here, big as the nose on a dwarf. The sun shines down on the field, bright and hot, but a pleasant breeze from the west keeps things comfortable. You also see an ancient fieldstone lodge and a stately felwood chateau.
Obvious paths: west, northwest
>home claim
If you are using a deed, be sure to hold it in your right hand.
...Checking for available homes...
Found an abandoned cabin
HOME CLAIM again within 30 seconds to claim a home in this room.
>home claim
If you are using a deed, be sure to hold it in your right hand.
Attempting to claim......Claiming an abandoned cabin as your home...
>l cabin
This cabin belongs to you.
>unlock cabin
You unlock the door to a plain cabin.
>open cabin
You open the door to a plain cabin.
>go cabin
You see your private home. You also see your furniture.
Obvious exits: none
[Note: look in the Story window to get full description and character locations in the room.]
[Note: look in the Story window to get full description and character locations in the room.]
You walk through the door to your cabin.
[Kaldonis's Home]
Walls of rough-hewn oak and a dusty oak floor covered by a tasseled cotton rug enclose this room. In one corner lies a simple stick cot, and near the cot sits a sturdy oak table. Above a small firepit hangs an Estate Holder plaque. The room holds a mild scent of dust. You also see a door.
>hands
You have a home deed in your right hand.
>read my deed
The deed is for the property located in River's Rest at an area described as "Gamaliya Alley." This was formerly the home of Kaldonis Harvest-Moon. The original purchase price of the home was 100000, and is now appraised at 72000. It is accompanied by several furnishings of moderate value. The furnishings are currently being moved from their original location in River's Rest. The furnishings have arrived and are ready to be moved into your new home.

And none of my stuff was moved! Which part of HOME HELP 14 didn't I follow?! Here's the excerpt of the relevant information:

Step 3 - Claiming a new home with your deed
Whether you stay in the same neighborhood or move half-way across Elanith, you must ship your furnishings. Go to the local Cartage Merchant and the merchant will tell you how much it will cost and how long it will take. Following the directions on the sign, order shipment of your furnishings.

The next important step is to WAIT. Wait until your furnishings arrive at the new destination. Then you may go to your new home and, with deed in your right hand, type HOME CLAIM. When your home is successfully claimed, your furnishings will be inside.

Note: Be sure to thoroughly research your new neighborhood before you decide to move there. Some neighborhoods have race and profession restrictions that may prevent you from claiming a home there.

How could I "go to [my] new home" when I didn't claim one / don't have one? As you can see, without paying more money to the realty agent, my deed "does not match any of the homes in the area". My only guess here is that one must move to a neighborhood with a matching type. And the cost for claiming a home is the same no matter which neighborhood you choose. All the interior furniture items are independent of the class and type of the house! I never even customized the exterior of my old home, so there was nothing to be "moved" in that respect.

I don't know if this is broken or implemented as designed. HOME HELP 14 certainly says nothing about limitations on moving furniture pertaining to the type of home. Either way, it's very confusing, and any one else attempting to move might easily run into difficulties.

>(OOC) Rozy's player whispers to the group, "Spiiiiiderhalfling!"

>Out of no where, a ki-lin gallops in.
Re: Moving Furniture Didn't Work 06/09/2014 06:45 PM CDT
Hi!

I'm sorry this was confusing for you. Apparently this happens a lot, which to me, means something in the instructions isn't clear. As I am sure you'd agree with.

What often occurs is a player deeds a home, pays for their furniture to be moved, and then also unecessarily visits a realtor NPC and essentially buys a new home (paying the 100,000 silver fee to the realtor.) Which, according to your account, is what you did.

The player then goes to the location they've selected for their home, and uses HOME CLAIM to claim one. Since they've paid the realtor for a 'new' home, the home is claimed as such, and any deed they player might be holding will be ignored. They successfully claim a home, but it's a new home, and so has none of the player's old furniture; this is where the player usually assists or reports.

That's why your furniture didn't arrive with your home, it was a new home and your furniture was ignored. If you had ASSISTed, there is a way for us GMs to fix it.

Now, what I'm not sure about is that original message you got about not having a home match your deed. I notice you got that message in a different area than you eventually ended up settling on for your new home. Perhaps you hit one of the profession or race restrictions that HOME HELP 14 mentions at the bottom!

~Just Jainna
Re: Moving Furniture Didn't Work 06/10/2014 03:38 AM CDT
>Now, what I'm not sure about is that original message you got about not having a home match your deed. I notice you got that message in a different area than you eventually ended up settling on for your new home. Perhaps you hit one of the profession or race restrictions that HOME HELP 14 mentions at the bottom!

I bought the new deed after basically deciding not to deal with assisting for what would turn out to be 200k since something seemed badly broken. I figured in the off-chance that this was how the system was supposed to work, I could try it, and if not it was easier than the alternatives.

It's true I didn't use the room I finally selected to test it, but that room was closer. I'm not aware of any race/profession restrictions for River's Rest.

>(OOC) Rozy's player whispers to the group, "Spiiiiiderhalfling!"

>Out of no where, a ki-lin gallops in.
Re: Moving Furniture Didn't Work 06/10/2014 04:18 PM CDT
If that ever happens again, I would ASSIST because it would save you that 200k and some headache. It's not broken, it's mostly user error. I haven't done the process in a long time myself, but likely there's some messaging that isn't as clear as it should be.

In terms of the messaging you got where you couldn't put your house in that room is likely because of the style of home you had originally chosen. If you picked a rural home you could never move to a middle urban neighborhood, for instance.

~Just Jainna
Re: Moving Furniture Didn't Work 07/21/2016 03:14 AM CDT
> And none of my stuff was moved!

> I don't know if this is broken or implemented as designed. HOME HELP 14 certainly says nothing about limitations on moving furniture pertaining to the type of home. Either way, it's very confusing, and any one else attempting to move might easily run into difficulties.

Having just come to the forums with this exact same problem, I am more than a bit upset to see that over a year later the instructions have not been updated to be any less confusing. I have an open assist in now and hope to get this fixed tomorrow, but honestly? I would write off the 100k house registration fee as an acceptable loss if it didn't override the fact that I already had furniture I spent over 400k shipping.

In addition, the times listed at the furniture movers are also wrong. Had I known it would take about 9 hours (instead of 25 hours as stated), I might have waited to see how long the 100,000-odd silvers moving would have - but that was listed as being 76 hours.

Can the home help as well as the messaging in home claim PLEASE be updated?

Thank you.