The Evolution of Premium Homes 09/02/2012 05:09 AM CDT
<<Transferred this from the general discussion thread.

A precarnation of mine remembers when we were able to first own homes. There was a great land grab as I recall. There have been some great developments in homes since then.

However is there any scope for adding rooms or even floors to homes? I don't expect this to be an easy thing - everyone knows how complicated RL planning permission is so comparable systems would be acceptable - but how about:

1. Multiple rooms, with a total max specified and obviously relative to the building and area.

2. Building up (first floor) or down (basement), with a limit of no more than two or three levels - again limited by area and building type. Perhaps this could include - as a room if needed - the development of a garden with flowers, garden furniture.

3. Other functional items - .. secure storage areas for 10 items, cart with alcohol, functioning washbasins, wardobes

Some of these suggestions have been raised over the years and are probably worthy of discussion and consideration for the future. Please don't dismiss based on current workload. Think two or three years from now and beyond if needed.

This could (and should IMO) be tied into the premium point system as a perk of constancy rather than ability to acquire silvers.

-
Bremerial - Chair of the 'Bring the Highman Games to Kharam-Dzu' Committee

Warrior Interviews - Have you been interviewed yet? - http://www.assessrisk.com/personal/gs4_30.htm

AIM: warriorbremerial
Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 09/02/2012 12:43 PM CDT

Absolutely agree with this post.

I, for one, think that a change in homes would be an excellent addition. I love having a home in the game and think that the of greater functionality as suggested would make homes a greater usefulness in the game(ie. storage/locker access point/furniture-containers, weapon stands, etc.). Right now, I visit my home occasionally, but spend very little time there as the available decorations/changes are expensive and funds are usually applied to other things. (I have not reached a point where I have large amounts of silver in hand.)

I also think that other variation in interiors would be fun.

- lighting/fireplaces/active items (could have fun descriptives - guttering candles, fires that change, a cuckoo clock that periodically acts, etc.)
- More profession/guild oriented decorations which could be awarded/purchased.(ie. plaques, awards, etc.)
- longer exterior descriptions (chimneys, pennants, trees/bushes, etc.)
- perhaps some items/areas to aid players (ie. workspaces, etc.)

Just think that homes have a lot of potential, even though, I am sure the work to do it would be difficult.

Islerogue
Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 09/02/2012 03:10 PM CDT
I wouldn't mind if homes could be expanded into 3 total rooms like shops, perhaps with Upper class being 3 rooms, middle 2, and lower just the one. And maybe rural can expand outwardly, with urban expanding up/down. I don't think there should be huge storage spaces in them though. Maybe a weapon/armor/shield rack that can hold one or two items for display purposes that is janitor proof.

~James
Player of Septimius
Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 09/02/2012 08:57 PM CDT
All I want is for homes to be experience nodes. That by itself would make them much more useful.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 09/03/2012 12:55 AM CDT

<<All I want is for homes to be experience nodes. That by itself would make them much more useful.

I actually thought about this David. But although I think there is serious scope for the development of homes in the future, I'd be worried about us all sitting in our little bunkers and never interacting, even if the interaction is a cursory nod. But I suspect other would be strongly in favor of nodes in homes. This is going to be a very good discussion point David. Thanks for raising it.

-

Warrior Interviews - Have you been interviewed yet? - http://www.assessrisk.com/personal/gs4_30.htm

Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 09/03/2012 12:56 AM CDT
I doubt homes would replace tables in that respect.

~James
Player of Septimius
Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 09/03/2012 03:19 AM CDT
>>But although I think there is serious scope for the development of homes in the future, I'd be worried about us all sitting in our little bunkers and never interacting, even if the interaction is a cursory nod.

You can't force people to interact if they don't want to. But the effect might be exactly the opposite. If homes were noded, people might used them as a place to give services--lockpicking, healing, whatever. It would be like having an office to work out of. With the service verb, you could advertise your location. It might actually increase interaction.

For me, the bottom line is this: I own two premium homes. I never use either one. The one thing and only thing I can think of that could change that is having the homes noded.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 09/04/2012 01:08 AM CDT
<<You can't force people to interact if they don't want to.

I agree 100% David, especially as Bremerial can swing from totally social to positively antisocial from day to day depending on my RL mood. Was thinking less about forcing to interact and more about not providing another incentive to be antisocial...if that makes sense.

<<But the effect might be exactly the opposite. If homes were noded, people might used them as a place to give services--lockpicking, healing, whatever. It would be like having an office to work out of. With the service verb, you could advertise your location. It might actually increase interaction.

Now that is actually a great idea. Never thought about nosing of homes in conjunction with the provision of services and the use of the new service verb. Now if it's used in this way, almost as a working office, I can see this working well for some. Yes. Can definitely see the benefits here.

<<For me, the bottom line is this: I own two premium homes.

I use my home less as a social venue or in RP situations but more as a way to keep my character(s) out of trouble when I don't want to log off. I'm sure there has to be a better use for a home than a character locker. I think they just need... Something more.

Love the comments so far guys by the way. please keep them coming, even if it's to disagree violently with me and to tell me that homes are perfect as they are. There have been some good issues raised of which I certainly wouldnt have thought.

-

Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 09/04/2012 08:10 PM CDT

I'd like to have a small storage container too to store my coffee pot and coffees, some cooking utensils and maybe a knitting project that I am working on. I'd love to be able to go to my home, make some coffee and work on my knitting. It would be great RP for me instead of going to my locker, filling up my cloak going to the house, doing whatever, then stuffing my cloak and going back to my locker. I bought those items with good intentions, but somehow I just don't have the wherewithal to gather it up to use it, then gather it up again and put it away.
Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 09/08/2012 09:13 AM CDT
>I'd like to have a small storage container too to store my coffee pot and coffees, some cooking utensils and maybe a knitting project that I am working on. I'd love to be able to go to my home, make some coffee and work on my knitting. It would be great RP for me instead of going to my locker, filling up my cloak going to the house, doing whatever, then stuffing my cloak and going back to my locker. I bought those items with good intentions, but somehow I just don't have the wherewithal to gather it up to use it, then gather it up again and put it away.

This is exactly why I don't buy RP items like tea kettles, coffee pots, cooking utensils, etc. I may use them once or twice, and then they go in my locker forever. It makes me happy to see things like this added to the game and I would love to have them and use them, but right now it's too cumbersome. Changes to homes could fix that.
Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 09/08/2012 10:06 AM CDT

Absolutely agree with this as well. Love the "fluff" items, but cannot use the miniatures, etc. that I find. Some go in the locker. Some get left on the bench in the Square because I am out of locker space.

It would be really fun to be able to place them in a house on a table or on a wall. My house is pretty desolate as I have not invested in a bunch of walls, etc - BUT I would be far more likely to do so.

Along the same notes, it would be nice to have a wardrobe in houses. A place to store stuff that one could wear in town. Stripping out of armor, etc is not much fun, but it would also be nice to develop an area where players should wear all the "fluff" items, etc rather than armor. Smarter people than I should figure our parameters, but I think it would be fun to have a noded area where adventuring gear was discouraged, but repair, trading, etc could be done.

I am certain my dwarf's armor is ripe. (I have been slowly developing a Rogue who wears more elegant attire, but he is not my main...yet.)

Islerogue
Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 11/12/2012 01:48 PM CST
I have tried to summerize the evolution of premium homes in a way which can be presented to whoever makes decisions about these sorts of things. It is based on the enthusiatic connversations about this issue in and out of the forum.

Introduction

(a) Part of the benefit of premium subscription is possibility of owning property - especically premium homes. However although there has been some minor development to premium homes since the introduction of this concept - pets, new furnishings etc - it is suggested that there is still scope for further development.

Proposal

(a) That consideration be given to the development of premium homes in the following way:

(i) The concept of multiple rooms be developed. The rooms would need to be consistent with the neighborhood.

(ii) Limitations could be placed on the number of rooms - again subject to neighborhood and type of property.

(iii) Rooms could be added to extend the height or depth of the building - such as first floors and basements - with a limitation of the degreee of construction based on game mechanics and of course property/district limitations.

(iv) Rooms could be added to extend the ground floor interior or exterior - bedroom or garden

(v) That objects that allow for the housing of a minimal number of objects be included within the homes - eg a wardrobe for clothing; A cabinet for tea and coffee ware

How would it Work?

(a) Owners of homes could be charged more rent for constructed developments and would naturally have to pay for the extra rooms.

(b) There could be an increased trade in home elements - stairs, garden furniture etc. Players could be involved in the design of some of these items. Include as competitions (monthly premium or standalone)

(c) Each town could develope its own beurocratic system of applying for permission and having to wait for permission to be granted. Local politics might play a part with some towns applying a NIMBY (Not in my back yard) approach or not wanting to spoil the view in certain upperclass neighborhoods. [Perhaps this would encourage people to construct properties in areas not populated to any great extent.]

(d) Some time limits would need to be applied so that construction takes a while - perhaps players would be excluded from their homes as construction takes place, to add a sense of reality (heh - I can see that not going down well actually but a small price to pay if even some of these idea are implemented.. no?)

Benefits

(a) It would reinvigorate interest in premium homes from a RP point of view, allowing owners to perhaps offer services from those homes.

(b) It could encourage more players to upgrade from standard to premium to try out the new homes

(c)It would increase spending on elements that could be used within the home - the potential list of ancialliary items is endless. Certainly it would encourage existing items such as coffee sets, cooking utensils etc, to be better utilised in the game.

Conclusion

The evolution of premium homes is a good concept which would be beneficial to all players either directly or indirectly. Additionally anything that potentially could increase subcriptions for Simu has got to be a good thing commercially. Coding issues aside - and as someone with no concept about coding but who does not underestimate the skill it takes to get stuff done - this is a good idea. I present it to the powers that be for consideration.

-

Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 11/12/2012 03:34 PM CST
Nice post. I don't want to kill ideas, but every layer of complexity decreases the chances of anything being done. Let me illustrate with one of the proposals.

<<(c) Each town could develope its own beurocratic system of applying for permission and having to wait for permission to be granted. Local politics might play a part with some towns applying a NIMBY (Not in my back yard) approach or not wanting to spoil the view in certain upperclass neighborhoods. [Perhaps this would encourage people to construct properties in areas not populated to any great extent.]>>

This takes a relatively simple check such as "Can I build this type of structure in this area?" to a "Can I build this type of structure in this area of this particular town?"

Why I'm saying this is because this system is a GM killer. At least two GM's have quit after working on this. It might have been a coincidence that they happened to be working on it or not. I'd love to see the system updated, but don't hold your breath.

SGM Sleken
Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 11/12/2012 10:52 PM CST
The reference to the beurocratic system was aspirational; and a suggestion as to the eventual possibilities... Even if the realisation of those possibilities would take years. But please don't let that detract from the core of this proposal which is the addition of more floors and inclusion of workable items.

I do appreciate the response Sleken and for the provision of a little background. But no need to worry. I'm not a great believer in the death of ideas. Often they merely smoulder and have to be stoked occasionally, until someone provides the fuel to bring them to life in some form.

Hopefully someone can cherry pick the workable elements of the proposal and consider the logistics and resource implications for implementation, even if realistically, implementation in its basic form would be a few years. (Good grief. I think I've just described a feasibility study. I am getting old!)

:)

-

Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 11/13/2012 05:37 AM CST
*Looks about for a GM to kill*

Valyrka throws premium homes at said GM

*said GM has bit the dust!*

The secret Gm assassin as struck again!

~ Valyrka ~ Who is silly this morning
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Forest Gnomes
Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 11/13/2012 12:15 PM CST
You know... thats not far off. I once had a premium home issue that took a few months and multiple GMs to fix. One of those GMs somehow got the walls of my home stuck to them and we had no idea what to do about it all. Finally I think it was Emeredan who figured out the fix and it turned out to be the simplest damned thing.
Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 11/13/2012 01:24 PM CST

Rather than rework the existing system it might be easier to write a new house system, maybe one that piggybacks on how shops work or something.

You would not have to do away with houses as they exist currently and the new system would be a new kind of house. Allow those who already hold a to get a new deed that would delete the existing house allowing you to rebuild with three rooms. If doing so, costs the initial furnishings cost, so be it. If you are unwilling, you can keep the home you have and forgo the housing upgrade. While I am unhappy with that result, the added benefits that could be part of a new improved home system are worth it to me and probably others as well.

Maybe instead of DEED we call them PROPERTY DEED.

A revision to the housing system has been on the to do list for many years. I wish I had a reason to use my home.
Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 11/13/2012 03:36 PM CST
A new system is what is planned. It's just a big undertaking and we do not have resources for it at this time.

SGM Sleken
Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 11/30/2012 10:38 AM CST
Case in point. Got some great tea/coffee making items from EG. I will have to either dump them in a locker or carry them with me. It would be lovely to have these items as an addition to my home, either as additional furniture or more probably, kept within a cabinet..

We British do love our afternoon tea and tiffin! (Apologies to any player named Tiffin. I don't mean you!)

-

Re: The Evolution of Premium Homes 12/18/2012 06:07 PM CST

One thing I've always wanted was the ability to access my locker through my house. I mean... In real life I'm going to change in my house and not in a public dressing room. I keep my clothes in my house, not in a storage unit.

Just a thought.