Return to frustration 05/09/2018 02:02 PM CDT
Hi folks, I'm thinking about returning to GSIV, after leaving in 2005. I played for a month in 2013, and boy things had changed even then. I opened a F2P (then found the code to reopen my old account for a month). I think I'd like to play for a while.

Meanwhile I'm struggling with trying to get the launcher to work, stormfront to actually open, and lich. Anyone able to help?

Currently named Freylafdottir.
Re: Return to frustration 05/09/2018 02:46 PM CDT
We can probably drum up a solution or two between all of us. ;)

Good to have you back!

Give me a sense of what you're using? Windows 10? Clean install of SFE? Clean install of Lich? Old version of Lich that you used when playing in 2005 / 2013?

And perhaps most importantly - when you get the launcher rolling, what happens?

Doug
Re: Return to frustration 05/09/2018 03:28 PM CDT

Windows 10.

Tried to clean install of Launcher but can't find the program. I expected it to put a short cut on my desktop and possibly one on my task bar (though I think I remember making the shortcut on the task bar in 2013).

Clean install/download with SFE, however, as the launcher isnt working, I must have the browser logged in in order to play with SFE.

Clean install of Lich, was able to download the zipped file and open all folders. Ref: Tillmen's site, I do have the two folders and one file as expected. but as the launcher isn't working as expected I can't tell that I did what is necessary.

Downloaded Ruby. Think it's the correct one. then got stuck trying to get Lich (ref above) to work.
Re: Return to frustration 05/09/2018 03:56 PM CDT
You say Taskbar, but probably mean SysTray (where the clock is, all the little icons); that is a separate program, "SGEtask", that you have to add to your StartUp folder OR run manually (preferably with Admin rights) each time you start the computer.
Re: Return to frustration 05/09/2018 04:02 PM CDT

Need I say I'm not in the computer field?

So how do I get the "SGEtask" (Wizard was so much easier!)
Re: Return to frustration 05/09/2018 07:02 PM CDT
Have you tried this?

https://www.play.net/gs4/play/sge-info.asp

Doug
Re: Return to frustration 05/09/2018 08:35 PM CDT
>> (Wizard was so much easier!)

I feel obligated to mention that the Wizard FE still works fine, and Lich is by no means needed to play.

Avaia, player of
Re: Return to frustration 05/10/2018 08:45 AM CDT
I agree that Wizard is slightly easier; down side to it, everything resides on THAT machine. So if you login from the public library or your cousin's machine while you visit... no highlights, no macros, no customized nothin'.

StormFront, all of that is up on their servers by default, though I believe you can pull it down local if you want.

SGEtask is just the little shield sitting in your systray, that lets you click on it to pop the SGE (Simutronics Game Entry) dialog box, where you put in your account name & password to choose game to choose character. Keeps it in the systray all the time--like the clock--rather than making you go track down a desktop icon.
Re: Return to frustration 05/10/2018 08:46 AM CDT
(And yes, the SGE lets you choose your Front End [Wizard or StormFront].)