Coming back after a long absence. 03/17/2018 02:07 AM CDT
I last played about 17 years ago. I'm thinking of rolling a new character since I'm pretty lost on remembering how everything works...but I can't remember if there's an easy way to transfer stuff from my old character to my new.

Granted it's not much, just a Drake Falchion and a few thousand silvers, but it's better than nothing for a new character.

Also, is there anything I should be aware of as far as class changes or the population? Back when I played on AOL, it was never a problem finding a rogue to pop a box, for example...is that an issue now, and should I take it into consideration when rerolling?
Re: Coming back after a long absence. 03/17/2018 04:16 AM CDT
<but I can't remember if there's an easy way to transfer stuff from my old character to my new.>

If they're on the same account, the only ways are to hand them off to someone and have them pass it to the new character or find an out of the way chest/drawer/etc that's part of the room you can put the things in while you log one out and the other in.

If you're being literal about what you want to pass from the old character to the new one, I seriously wouldn't stress about it. Drake weapons are much easier to come by now then back then and if you play your cards right, you'll be ready for mithril or better before the new character is an hour old (make sure you follow the sprite around when you roll up the character, they give exp and silver for completing their quest). Heck, if you chat with folk in a resting spot between hunts, someone might even just give you a mithril/drakar/etc weapon they have collecting dust in their locker.

<Also, is there anything I should be aware of as far as class changes or the population? Back when I played on AOL, it was never a problem finding a rogue to pop a box, for example>

The population isn't as big now as it was back then. PC locksmiths aren't as easy to locate as they were then, but the SERVICE verb can help with that or there's usually a sorcerer or wizard around willing to magically open low level boxes. Empaths and clerics are usually easy to find in starter towns, but if you move to one of the "smaller" towns (SolHaven, River's Rest, etc), you'll need to rely on herbs a lot more.

As far as other changes that have happened since the AOL days, there have been far too many to list here. I'd recommend looking over the wiki articles for the profession you choose and asking for advice in the profession folder here if you still have questions.

If you find you have a question that needs a more immediate answer, find the Silverwood Manor in the town you're in (all the starter towns have one) and ring the bell outside. A Mentor will come and answer every question you can think of and offer other advice you might not think to ask about. Those folks are awesome.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Coming back after a long absence. 03/17/2018 06:08 AM CDT
It's going to seem pretty overwhelming at first but take it slow, do the sprite quest as suggested, and read the new player guide on the wiki.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Coming back after a long absence. 03/17/2018 10:54 AM CDT
Welcome home!

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Town
Re: Coming back after a long absence. 03/17/2018 01:12 PM CDT

When you are ready for it, I have 4x gear to give away.

Give Askip a thought on the Global amunet channel (ESP DEF GLO).

Welcome back.

:D