Returning Level 31 Ranger Advise 10/24/2017 09:15 AM CDT
Hi All,

Think the last time I attempted to play was back in 2010 so I have a lot of remembering how to properly play the game again. That being said I am trying to find a good place to hunt for a level 31 Ranger. Last night I tried to hunt the Trolls south of Rivers Rest but they ganged up on me too way to much lowering the chances of survival. I briefly tried the Dobhrems (sp?) outside of Solhaven, they seemed alright but they tend to always see me hiding which doesn't work too well with my ambush combat technique. Any suggestions on a good place for me to hunt? I do prefer live critters over undead as trying to find a cleric to always bless my weapon seems to be a pain.

On a side note to add to this question, apparently I also had a rough time finding a hunting spot the last time I played as well because my Death Sting is currently at Crushing! :) Is there anything new to get rid of this penalty more quickly or just continue to hunt?

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas, thanks!
Re: Returning Level 31 Ranger Advise 10/24/2017 10:49 AM CDT
Experience that you gain goes into the pot to be absorbed (reflected by mind status, anywhere from Clear as a bell through Clear, Fresh & Clear, Muddled, Becoming Numbed, Numb, Must Rest, and even Completely Saturated [not possible through normal hunting]), and as it absorbs/your mind state lowers again, a chunk of points is set aside to offset Death's Sting and the rest of the amount (now, much smaller) counts towards making your next level.
OR you can buy potions from an NPC in town, offsetting it with in-game silver.
OR you can buy similar effect from the SimuCoin store, offsetting it with real-world money.
OR you can use some of your daily benefits, visible in the 'boost info' command.
Re: Returning Level 31 Ranger Advise 10/24/2017 10:59 AM CDT
For your death's sting, you can buy potions from a wandering NPC, called some race of "priestess," in each town -- see https://gswiki.play.net/Death%27s_Sting#Recovery_Potions_and_Salve for more info. I strongly recommend finding her because crushing sting is the highest level penalty you can reach, lol.

Buying deeds will help you avoid accruing sting when you die.

As for where to hunt, maybe try frost giants and storm giants on the Glacier? I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

/seo, wheels and skulls department/
Re: Returning Level 31 Ranger Advise 10/24/2017 11:06 AM CDT
Appreciate the info, I didn't know about the wandering priestess. For the life of me I do not remember why I didn't have deeds before and why the penalty got so high, probably some type of shenanigans, but I will need to search for the cost for deed by level to figure out getting some.

I faintly remember the glacier and hunting there before, i may give it a try tonight once I figure out the first stuff. Thanks!
Re: Returning Level 31 Ranger Advise 10/24/2017 01:11 PM CDT
On the glacier, titans & frost giants can both stomp (knock you down); giants tend to wear a few spells but titans not so much. I don't recall if I started getting Resist Nature from a friendly Ranger because of the effects of the weather (cold) or if they some times cast bolt spells, but either way keep 602 up.

You said ambushing, but I didn't get a sense of whether you were Ranged or melee, so height may be an issue if you're trying for immediate kills.

If you're low-30s, both of them are several levels above you. You may also have good luck up on the moon, through the runestone in the Misty Chamber; hooded figures in the 'Y'-shaped area at the top of the stairs are also only in the low-to-mid-30s, and human-sized (a LOT fewer hit points than the 300-400 that titans/frost giants can have), and wear a mix of armor (robes through at least chain, maybe even plate).
Figures are definitely spellcasters; mighty useful when they DO wear heavy armor, because they pretty much always fail. :)
Re: Returning Level 31 Ranger Advise 10/24/2017 02:05 PM CDT
Thanks for the additional advice. At least back in the day the combat style I've used is a 1 handed edge/shield combo, would hide, ambush leg to knock them down, them ambush head. I've never fully been able to latch onto ranged weapons whenever I tried in the past.

I did just learn that I do have a Fix Skills available so I may go back in and dig to see if my skills need any adjusting tonight along with the priestess suggestion to get rid of the death sting.

I am also recalling that the glacier critters like to swarm as well, least back in the day, which may not be good for me to solo. Never heard of the moon, might have to look for maps on that one
Re: Returning Level 31 Ranger Advise 10/24/2017 02:32 PM CDT
Glacier swarms primarily because to go from here [Landing] to there [Icemule & Rift], like folks do when they're running Adventurer Guild bounties, requires walking between here & there. (Or vice versa, of course.)

So there are frequently a TON of people there--from a consideration of the system thinking, "do I gen some more monsters?"--none of whom are actually THERE (from a standpoint of "competing with you for the experience").

But yes, crowd control capabilities--MStrike, "Ranger Stuffs", whatever--to keep the multitudes under control are definitely a Good Thing.
Re: Returning Level 31 Ranger Advise 10/24/2017 06:37 PM CDT
If you want to hunt around the Landing, you might try ice trolls (level 29) on the glatoph for a while until you get used to hunting again. They spawn pretty well but don't typically swarm. Snow crones (36) are near there too and as long as you can ambush, you should be okay but careful of them casting at you. After a couple levels you can try titans and frost giants on the glacier (36 & 38 I think). You'll probably be able to up-hunt there but you'll challenged by the stomping wind knocking you out of hiding. Titans also cast weaponfire so be careful. They can swarm but tangleweed is helpful when that happens. Storm giants on the Sentoph are good too but they hang out with some undead giant, so not sure if you want to avoid that.

You got some good advice on how to avoid and cure death's sting. You'll be able to hunt a lot better once that's taken care of too.

Welcome back!

Re: Returning Level 31 Ranger Advise 10/24/2017 07:25 PM CDT
The trolls in RR shouldn't have been bad at level 31... though having good knowledge of the Jungle is important if one's going to keep from being over-whelmed there. Probably more-so then any hunting area prior to the Rift.

I'd recommend trying hisskra across Maelstrom Bay in RR after getting your death's sting taken care of. Just make sure you grab an inexpensive weapon and have it e-bladed before going there (melee weapons can bounce off their hide and fall to the ground). If you stay in the area right after the swim (don't go through the gate), you'll only have to deal with a max of two at a time.

If your ranger doesn't have 610 yet, get it fast. It's excellent for keeping the room clear of all but the critter you want to be messing with when playing an ambushing ranger.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Returning Level 31 Ranger Advise 10/25/2017 07:24 PM CDT
If hunting trolls find a drake falchion or see if someone has a 4x fire flaring weapon. Will do wonders against trolls in RR or glacier in the landing.
Re: Returning Level 31 Ranger Advise 10/28/2017 12:42 AM CDT
The Moon is a fascinating place to hunt, but you need a certain amount of arcane lore to get past the runes in the Misty Chamber. Also, if you die there the odds
of a rescue are fairly small, since it's out of locate and teleport range.

If you are an ambusher, note that some areas of the glacier are so cold that the weather can drive you out of hiding. No big deal ... you can just rehide again ... unless,
of course, you are in the middle of a swarm of titans and giants when it happens. Kill the titans first, btw; they can cast weaponfire which, unlike the player version of
the spell which totally sucks, is quite nasty and often results in your death.