What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/24/2017 11:22 AM CDT
15 years... I think I fit into the category of, "OMG I thought this was a game with a widely diverse and rich toolset before... What did you guys do to it?!?" I've been spending the past week or so combing old posts, wiki articles, etc. just to figure out why the heck Erek is no longer viable as a build (oh I used to be godly, believe me... back when Rangers could triple hide). No complaints here, but wow.. so much has changed.

I even started a young Wizard so I could learn fresh from the Turnip cart, so to speak. That's been quite fun, but I miss my old coot puma lovin' tree hugger.

Enhancive? What's that?
Ensorcells? Fwah?

I love all the new stuff, but wow it's a bigger learning curve than ever before!

I just need to convince Elysia to find her old account so I can get a hunting buddy...
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/24/2017 11:26 AM CDT
Rangers are still my favorite profession. You may not be the most deadly warrior with blade or the most deadly spell caster but there is no better profession that can handle all situations. If you have build issues let us know and we will definitely help. Post your info in the ranger forum
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/24/2017 01:57 PM CDT
Dear Erek,

Been there, done that. Although I did not attempt to return as the old bardess.

;whatis

I wish it had been around almost 3 years ago.

Please let me know if there are things missing in it. Actually ... PM Newsby with it. She keeps records. I will have no brain left by the time this week is over.

Welcome home. I nearly cried when I saw you at BardFest.

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/24/2017 07:16 PM CDT
Oooh... ;whatis... thanks so much for that. I am sure I will be using that a lot.

I can't express how excited I was to see you as well. We all had so much fun back then, including the one who dwelt in shadow. :)
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/24/2017 07:28 PM CDT
> I can't express how excited I was to see you as well. We all had so much fun back then, including the one who dwelt in shadow. :)

<3

I've had just as much fun the past couple years since I returned. Maybe MORE!! But I tell you, those first couple months were not at all easy.

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/24/2017 10:16 PM CDT
Wow. THERE's a couple of names I haven't seen in a LONG while. :) Welcome back, you two!
(Or is it three now? Gigantor the Man-Child should be old enough to type, right? He's... about to graduate high school?)

You may be unsurprised to learn that Krakii has made precisely NO levels since you bunch of sadists used to wander around the Illoke stronghold, but on the other hand my Bard enjoyed them hugely. (Right up until "boil earth" became "earthen fury", so... watch out.)
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/25/2017 04:38 AM CDT
Gigantor spends too much time playing something you could easily name "Hunger Games Simulator" to bother with something so mundane as typing. And yep, he's got 2 more years of high school before I can finally go on a vacation during off peak season. Ahh bliss...

I always pictured Krakii to have replaced the grizzled old warrior by now, or more appropriately... the gypsy fortuneteller.

To be clear, Elysia actually ISN'T back yet... I am still trying to sway her. I think she's convinced that she'd be too tempted to put on the old mantle and build something ambitious.
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/25/2017 08:45 AM CDT
Tempt her. Bards are STUPID good. Emails to follow.
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/25/2017 10:46 AM CDT
I sent you an email (with big attachment) from my home address to "erek@play.net", and have not seen any bad results. Sending (different info) from my work address to "erek@play.net", I got a bounce-back message.

So, uh... make sure your play.net account is correctly set to forward your emails. :)
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/25/2017 11:04 AM CDT
Fixed!

I didn't get either, so try again.

She emailed Chris at customer service... the great account recovery (read: archeological dig.. I don't think she remembers her old email addr) has begun!
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/25/2017 12:29 PM CDT
I got a bounce again, which Billing says is due to some inherent delay in propagating the changes from there to actually be usable via the site.
So I'll try again this evening or tomorrow.

Short version: Yeah, Bards can be that good.
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/25/2017 12:39 PM CDT
I just sent your play.net a valid email. Hopefully you got that, cuz I hate waiting.
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/25/2017 06:41 PM CDT

Hi Ranger! Dara
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/25/2017 08:11 PM CDT
Hi Dara!

Kraks.... she got her char restored and logged in last night. We spent the rest of the evening figuring out what all our ancient gear did. We've got some heirlooms. :)
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/25/2017 10:43 PM CDT
If you see a guy named "Ardwen" come sniffing around, he's the latter-day Ciston. Anything you sell to him will have a good home, and he generally pays top silver.

That having been said... much of what you have may very well be priceless in today's world. (Like 8x or higher gear, with levels of weighting/padding from when we had monthly merchant events to replace lost gear.)
I know we talked about it at the '99 'Con, but leadership never bit the bullet so Breakage never went back in. So we encountered the predicted consequence: major item creep.

It's feeling like Old Home week in here nowadays. Naamit's been back for a while, you two showing up, I passed Aanalar in the street over the weekend, Mustafo was back on his porch this evening, and I saw Darcena posting over in the Simucon folder.
Sheesh! All we need now is for Celtar to show up.
(He'd be dead, of course....)
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/26/2017 08:06 AM CDT
I think if breakage showed back up I'd never use my gear. And you're right, much of the stuff I have is thoroughly maxed. :)

With all the people you mentioned, we have a regular geriatric ward! Someone tell Starsnuffer that I request his presence as well.
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/26/2017 08:52 AM CDT
Hi, welcome back Erek and Elysia! Naamit resides in the Elven Nations but I can jet over to the Landing some day or night if you'd like a marathon loresinging session or help deciphering results. Even if you don't need any song, I'm truly interested to learn about the beauties in those dusty old lockers.

P.S. Robert, the only Old Home I ascribe to is a particular brand of cottage cheese. I am forever young. =P
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/26/2017 09:04 AM CDT
I was referring solely to the nostalgic feel, of course.

I would never go so far as to imply that a dual-X-chromosomed-person actually aged in any way. :)
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/26/2017 09:25 AM CDT
<Someone tell Starsnuffer that I request his presence as well.>

Oh sure, wait til I get used to getting my own profile when typing "profile star"....

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/26/2017 10:31 AM CDT
Hi Naamit, great to hear from you!

Yes, we already have a rift in our household once Elysia realized last night that my OHE had +5 more than hers (10x instead of 9x). I was like, "But honey, you'll never notice, honest!" Then she got DOUBLY miffed when I told her I didn't use OHE anymore.

Yeah, I'm in the doghouse...
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/26/2017 10:55 AM CDT
"Then she got DOUBLY miffed when I told her I didn't use OHE anymore.

Yeah, I'm in the doghouse..." -- Erek

Easy fix: not only let her use yours (no Breakage, no droppage [barring some critters who can Disarm], so it will be safe)...
...but also convince her to train in Two-Weapon usage.

Now she can use yours and still keep using hers (with all its weepy sentimental attachment and other girly-stuff).

<nod>
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/26/2017 02:18 PM CDT
Two weapon usage... ok so when did THAT happen? :)

And how many versions of Drizzzzt exist now?
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/26/2017 02:35 PM CDT
"Two weapon usage... ok so when did THAT happen? :)" -- Erek

Here, let me help you out with that!

Category 2, Topic 2
Message 392
Wed Sep 06, 1995
GAMEMASTER.2 [Cyper]
at 01:24 EDT

Skill definitions:
Two Weapon Combat: Your skill in two weapon combat is the maximum... <snippage>

Category 2, Topic 2
Message 362
Tue Sep 05, 1995
TECH.2
at 22:14 EDT

Skill Costs for Each Profession

Skill Fighters Thieves Wizards Clerics
1) Two Weapon Combat 4,3 (2) 6,5 (2) 25,20 (1) 14,12 (1)... <snippage>
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/26/2017 02:37 PM CDT
Phooie.

I forgot that while we compose in fixed-width Courier, we display in proportional. So that columnar chart didn't come through well. <pout, sulk>
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/26/2017 02:41 PM CDT
Heh; another one from the archives. :)

(And this actually happens, too! Even with spellcasters! It's just madness!)

Category 2, Topic 2
Message 379
Tue Sep 05, 1995
GAMEMASTER.3 [Banthis]
at 23:31 EDT

<snippage>

There are several factors that determine the possibility, but yes the possibility exists for a true SNIPER to exist. (i.e. one may fire a bow while hidden and remain hidden.)

An arrow suddenly whizzes by your head seemingly from nowhere!

Banthis

<beam!>
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/26/2017 02:45 PM CDT
While it probably was part of the mangler when he posted in 1995, it was unimplemented when I trained in it in 1996, and was a few years before it was live.

I'm not sure exactly when, but I think was on break and a once unthinkable skill change/fixskill/stat had occurred before that I think, as I had already dropped the few ranks. So probably after GSIV conversion?
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/26/2017 02:53 PM CDT
Actually, I think it finally got implemented as part of Growing Pains (I, II, or III), worst case. Warden was really cracking the whip to get lots of long-pending items implemented.

Category GemStone III Announcements (1)
Topic Important Announcements (1)
By GS3-WARDEN from PLAY.NET
On Dec 8, 2002 at 21:46
Message Growing Pains III Summary (228)

<snippage>

Two-weapon fighting has been revised to no longer automatically increase roundtime when the weight of the offhand weapon is >= to the primary weapon. The speed of the offhand weapon compared to the speed of the primary weapon and the weight of the offhand weapon with respect to the attacker's strength are now factors.

So if that was a 'revision', presumably it was active before that.

Interestingly, this exact write-up is still visible at: http://www.play.net/gs4/news/growingpains/
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/27/2017 10:11 AM CDT
Yeah wow, that must have been around the time I was leaving, which I THINK was somewhere around 2001/2002 timeframe. I don't recall the design discussions before that. I must really be getting old.

Also "LOL" with the GAMEMASTER.3 post. I designed Erek's retrain around that exact possibility, and at the time 3X Hiding was possible on Rangers. There truly wasn't anything that could pull him out of hiding, and it annoyed the crap out of many a GM. Critters got more and more perception after that. When I did my "get one free" fixskill just last week, I had to decide between sword&board or ranged only (there just wasn't enough TPs to do both, even though I had previously trained that way), I went ahead and chose Ranged Sniping, in the exact same fashion. I'm really glad of the DS changes that happened between 2002 and now (no idea when that happened) for ranged.
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/27/2017 10:44 AM CDT

If you are a hiding range user get shadow mastery which will aid more in hiding:

https://gswiki.play.net/Shadow_Mastery
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/27/2017 12:19 PM CDT
"LOL" -- Erek

I did that deliberately. :)
Re: What's going on in here, guyz!? 07/27/2017 12:41 PM CDT
<I went ahead and chose Ranged Sniping, in the exact same fashion. I'm really glad of the DS changes that happened between 2002 and now (no idea when that happened) for ranged.>

Keep in mind that as a sniper your defenses will come predominantly from being in the shadows (though not to the extreme it would be if you were a rogue). Time your shots so you can get back into the shadows before they can swing/cast at you if you fall out and use your spells (610, 615, 616) to keep anything that moves faster then your FIRE RT busy.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.