:: or act? 05/01/2017 11:57 AM CDT
As a returning player, way back in my early days, I thought you could act out something with a :: before whatever you did, and it didn't put it in parentheses?

Am I mis-remembering, or was that removed?

I know they have the act verb now, and it puts it in parentheses. Is there anything less obtrusive to RP, or is the act verb the only thing we have now?
Re: :: or act? 05/01/2017 12:01 PM CDT

>Am I mis-remembering, or was that removed?

I believe you are mis-remembering. ACT has always been in parentheses. ACT was updated to use targeting https://gswiki.play.net/ACT_(verb)
Re: :: or act? 05/01/2017 12:31 PM CDT
You can use smile for non paranthesis RP effects. :: is used to get sensible targetting messaging in ACTs which isn't otherwise possible when there are 3rd parties in the room.
Re: :: or act? 05/01/2017 12:37 PM CDT
I never used act way back in the day, i could swear i used ::, or maybe it was a single :, but it doesn't seem to be working now.

I wonder if it got removed/moved, so they could use it for for the sensible targetting messaging that you were talking about.
Re: :: or act? 05/01/2017 02:31 PM CDT
>I never used act way back in the day, i could swear i used ::, or maybe it was a single :, but it doesn't seem to be working now.
>I wonder if it got removed/moved, so they could use it for for the sensible targetting messaging that you were talking about.

It could be very possible that it got removed if it was usable from back in the day. I always remember using ACT.

Today you use :: when you want to speak directly to one person. For example:

(here's the command you'd type in) say ::bobsyouruncle You look ugly today

(this is what would show up as your in game action) You say to bobsyouruncle, "You look ugly today."

I'm not exactly sure when they added the ability to direct your speach to one person/thing/NPC into the game, but it could certainly be the reason why it no longer works the way you recall.

-Drumpel
Re: :: or act? 05/01/2017 03:50 PM CDT
Or, instead of random punctuation, you can:

'@bobsyouruncle You look awesome today!

You say to Bobsyouruncle, "You look awesome today!"

Because the @ wins every time in my world to target/tag someone with something.

Getting fancier than that, however, requires ... random, but specific, punctuation in precise placement...

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: :: or act? 05/01/2017 05:15 PM CDT
The important part when doing things within speech is to remember to close your quotation marks, then do something, and then say something else to end, because the 'say' verb always gives you a free set of quotes at the end.
Re: :: or act? 05/01/2017 09:08 PM CDT

oh, i like the @ much better.

what are some of the other, more complicated uses?
Re: :: or act? 05/01/2017 11:28 PM CDT
> what are some of the other, more complicated uses?

enter SAY HELP
Then ponder the possibilities after looking over SPEECH VERBIAGE

I admire people who can get this syntax correct and know how to use it off the cuff.

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: :: or act? 05/02/2017 09:15 AM CDT
As someone (Not-Me) once posted:

say ]]bench ::tree :soft =ask ~elven Busy?

Speaking softly in Elven to a tree, a voice behind a bench asks, "Busy?"
Re: :: or act? 05/03/2017 05:18 PM CDT

You may be thinking of the extended syntax of the ACT command. HELP ACT includes discussion of use of the :: to designate target to use to fill in portions of an ACT command.

An example is:
>act ::grinder waves at a @
(Clunk waves at a large grinder.)

it takes some getting experimentation to get it right. Sitting alone at tables, or working alone in a forge provides lots of ACTing time.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: :: or act? 05/05/2017 08:40 AM CDT
OK Clunk. You just changed my life. Thank you! You win all the brownies.

>act ::door waves at a @ and smiles.
(Kiki waves at a maoral door and smiles.)

>act ::Jimmy waves at @ and smiles.
(Kiki waves at Jimmy and smiles.)
From Jimmy's perspective: (Kiki waves at you and smiles.)
Re: :: or act? 05/06/2017 02:43 PM CDT

glad to help.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)