Old Player returning after 10+ years. Convinced two friends to try it out. Need advice on professions. 02/02/2017 02:18 PM CST
Hey everyone!

I'm quite excited that I've managed to convince two of my friends to give GSIV a shot and to play again after taking such a long break. I decided I'd just start new characters with them and leave my old characters retired.

The main things is that when we play together is probably the only time we will be playing so that we can stay around the same level and continue hunting together without one person outstripping the rest.

I've been reading over a bunch of the changes in the last 10 years, so I've given myself a small amount of knowledge in the areas of synergy between classes and I was going to recommend that we run with the following setup:

1) Paladin Sword and Board
2) Bard Sword and Board or Two Handed
3) Ranger either Sword and Board or Ranged

I was heartened that when I explained roleplaying is a heavy element in this game that they seemed to get more interested rather than less, but both of them have taken a look at the wiki and told me that for at least our first characters I should tell them what to play. They were basically just overwhelmed with information. We play a weekly DnD so they are all used to roleplaying both randomly generated characters and ones they've picked out of themselves so I don't think me choosing for them will be a problem. Plus I'll let them choose first.

I am writing this mainly because I'm looking for more alternative three man teams and also any limitations we might have with the team I picked out.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! We're going to start next Tuesday during our usual DnD campaign time (we just finished a long campaign).
Re: Old Player returning after 10+ years. Convinced two friends to try it out. Need advice on professions. 02/02/2017 02:24 PM CST
Oh let me add that the reason I picked those three classes is that there are plenty of group spells that will help out the group, they can all at least wear reasonable armor at higher levels, and I think would generally be able to hunt the same monsters fairly easily.

I wanted to add an Empath into the mix for me to play, but based on what I've read it might limit the hunting options of the entire group alittle too much. Thoughts?
Re: Old Player returning after 10+ years. Convinced two friends to try it out. Need advice on professions. 02/02/2017 02:27 PM CST
Oh I should probably also add that the highest character I've ever gotten in this game was a Ranger in the high 40's range, so my knowledge of hunting beyond that is non-existent.
Re: Old Player returning after 10+ years. Convinced two friends to try it out. Need advice on professions. 02/02/2017 02:48 PM CST
Good combination, with three people!

Some thoughts for you, in no particular order:

I think the Ranger has the least in the way of group spells, but his nicest one, Mobility, is other-cast and has cumulative duration, so during down time back in town you can have him goosing up the durations on the other two.

The Paladin does not need to be using a Shield, in order to have his shield-boosting spell take effect. My own hunting pair--of Paladin/Ranger--I have the Ranger using sword+shield... but the Paladin uses a 2Hand weapon, and just runs the spell to boost his partner.

Since both the Ranger and Paladin are considered in the Spirit realm, they can train in a common Mana Control comparatively inexpensively. This will let the two of them pass mana back and forth--like if the Paladin is wearing heavy armor and not casting as much, for example, his mana can be used by the Ranger to whistle up vines and suchlike--more conveniently.

The Bard should concentrate on a) Spell Research in his base list, for the group songs, and b) ranks of Mental Lore:Telepathy to boost things like total Song duration (while you're out in the field) and b) the benefits from the Songs (boosting the group's AS with Kai's Song, for example).

With three of you together, you'll see goodly numbers of creatures. If you want to be a self-sufficient group, have someone who can Disarm Traps and someone who can Pick Locks. (I think the Bard probably has the lowest training costs for those skills, but maybe not.) Note that these NEED NOT be the same person... one of you could Disarm, another could Pick.

Ignore whack jobs like me who espouse the concept of spellcasting Bards... until he gets to 30th level. Then, pick up the holy text and start preaching chapter and verse right along with me.
(Translation: you can turn it into a completely different game, for a Bard, once he hits 30th level and gets a darn good room-effect damage spell now-with-possibility-of-hitting-only-a-single-target-too.)
Re: Old Player returning after 10+ years. Convinced two friends to try it out. Need advice on professions. 02/02/2017 03:04 PM CST
Welcome back!

~ Haliste ~
The Forest Gnome of Silverwood Manor
ASGM, Events
Re: Old Player returning after 10+ years. Convinced two friends to try it out. Need advice on professions. 02/02/2017 03:29 PM CST

I could never make peace with a sword swinging ranger myself. It just didn't seem rangerly to use a sword, so I always avoided trying one.

I recently decided to give it a go and chose archery for my ranger. I almost quit right after I rolled her but I stuck to it, wrote a few macros to make it easier and I love it! I never thought I would enjoy playing another profession as much as I do my sorceress but this ranger....I just love her!

She is pretty kick butt too, seems to get more and more crits and one shot kills as she progresses.

Cordaleigh's mum.
Re: Old Player returning after 10+ years. Convinced two friends to try it out. Need advice on professions. 02/02/2017 04:20 PM CST
"I could never make peace with a sword swinging ranger" -- Cordaleigh

<ahem>

"Aragorn, son of Arathorn."

My work here is done.
Re: Old Player returning after 10+ years. Convinced two friends to try it out. Need advice on professions. 02/02/2017 04:30 PM CST

Okay okay, you got me there. Still I was thinking more wood elf type ranger. ;)
Re: Old Player returning after 10+ years. Convinced two friends to try it out. Need advice on professions. 02/02/2017 06:50 PM CST
3 semis is sound. Beware of making the ranger the lead character (hidden characters can't lead groups).

The only problem with playing an empath in a group is if you don't really want to play an empath. If you really want to blow critters apart rather than put your companions back together, play a sorcerer instead, or stick with the semis.
Re: Old Player returning after 10+ years. Convinced two friends to try it out. Need advice on professions. 02/02/2017 10:38 PM CST
Hey thanks for all the input and the welcomes! I started thinking about Gemstone randomly one night and, to be honest, I'd typically only done solo adventuring before with a few duo hunting trips that never seemed to work very well.

I'll be teaching them the ins-and-outs of the game for the most part the first time we meet up to play on our laptops in the same room to make it easier.

Do people think that I should install all the "bells and whistles" right away or should I try and get them to spend the first night (no doubt hunting rats) with just a basic stormfront setup? They seem interested enough I at least want to show them what it was like before you had maps that follow you around on the screen and macros to, more or less, instantly take you anywhere to anywhere else. I just hope I don't scare them away!

As to the Empath thing, I'm guessing that that bone shatter spell isn't a real substitute for a Sorc. It looked neat; I hadn't paid any attention to any of the changes in the last 10 years, so I'm winging it.

The basic setup of three semis seems like something that no one had said anything bad against and that it would even be sound, so I'll probably recommend that to them.

One question on the current rules: If I revived my 40 something Ranger from before on another account and used him to cast maxed out mobiles on the party, then just log him off, would that be against the rules? I seem to remember that you couldn't really use characters on other accounts to do much other than hold stuff.

If that is kosher than we could use a Rogue instead of the Ranger. We'll probably only get in about 3-4 hours max a week of playtime (maybe double that if we setup a second weekly session) and I don't want to have to spend our first hour each time finding necessary spells from around the community.
Re: Old Player returning after 10+ years. Convinced two friends to try it out. Need advice on professions. 02/02/2017 10:45 PM CST
Oh thanks for the info on the Ranger hiding and group dynamics. As I mentioned I only really soloed before on my Ranger and I honestly didn't even know you could hide and still stay part of a group! So that's good news.

One thought did occur to me, would running two bards and a ranger (or paladin) make any sense? I realize the songs probably don't stack, but there are plenty of great songs and no Bard can keep them all up and still have extra mana for some of their other great songs. I might look into this in a bit once my current Europa Universalis game finishes, but if it's foolish on it's face to run two bards then please give me the kick in the shins I need and let me know :)
Re: Old Player returning after 10+ years. Convinced two friends to try it out. Need advice on professions. 02/02/2017 10:46 PM CST

>Do people think that I should install all the "bells and whistles" right away or should I try and get them to spend the first night (no doubt hunting rats) with just a basic stormfront setup?

recommend spending a few months with just StormFront and learning the actual game vs. learning the 3rd party software.