Questions about belt-worn fishbowls 05/13/2016 11:27 AM CDT
I have a belt-worn fishbowl I got at an event years ago (Spitfire, maybe?) that I'm trying to figure them out a bit more as part of my return to Gemstone after some number of years. I vaguely recall there being a post detailing the feeding rules for fish, but I can't seem to find the details. I thought it was more complicated than once per day, but I'm not 100% certain. The post isn't listed on the wiki from what I can tell, so I could be remembering something that never existed.

I'm also curious why they are listed as functional items - I can't find any explicit explanation of the difference, but it seems like it's a function of having a mechanical benefit? A rat sack from Duskruin is a beltworn pet container that's non-functional, while the fishbowl is functional. I'm not sure what the difference between the two items is.
Re: Questions about belt-worn fishbowls 05/13/2016 11:34 AM CDT
I don't know that any post was saved - checking. Only information is probably what you've already seen.

>>Fish in fishbowl - will die if not fed fish food once a day. Supply can be bought in pet shops, like the one in Solhaven.

I suspect the age of the item is what's causing it to be listed as 'functional'. I would recommend an assist (and it will probably take some time to get the right GM consult) to start the process of determining if it can change to non-functional.

Doug
Re: Questions about belt-worn fishbowls 05/15/2016 07:34 AM CDT
>I'm also curious why they are listed as functional items - I can't find any explicit explanation of the difference, but it seems like it's a function of having a mechanical benefit? A rat sack from Duskruin is a beltworn pet container that's non-functional, while the fishbowl is functional. I'm not sure what the difference between the two items is.

This is quite a nebulous thing. Some old items which have literally no function what-so-ever (not even a script with fish inside) are functional; that type of item is a cinch to get a GM to fix, typically (Wyrom fixed on of my old bracelets recently).

I also have a seed pouch. It makes like up to 5 magic seeds a day, and they can be planted to make a selection of random herbs. This is non-functional for some reason, despite that it has a mechanical purpose of some kind.

Definitely worth exploring. The will-o-wisps from RtCF which can even locate people or some other 'mechanical' benefits are also "non-functional". In more recent years, GMs have paid more attention to using "non-functional" items because players have so many items -- enhancives among others -- that things like rats requiring a functional belt worn slot or wisp amulets requiring a functional neckworn slot would make them extremely less popular.