INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/15/2010 09:40 PM CST
We're looking for a few more applications to fill out one or two upcoming openings on the GameHost staff. Many of the current applications we have in our system are from accounts that are not currently actively playing the game. (Actively playing would be 20+ hours per month.)

GameHosts are required to have a good knowledge of the game and should be able to answer questions about basic technical issues and general gameplay. They must also possess excellent customer service skills and be able to commit to a set schedule of three two-hour shifts per week. A Host should also have demonstrated a history of following the policies of GemStone IV.

If you are interested in becoming a GameHost, are an active player, and think you have what it takes to be an outstanding member of the team then read the requirements and submit your application at http://www.play.net/gs4/apply/apply.asp.

GameMaster Zyllah
GemStone IV Host Coordinator
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/19/2010 09:47 AM CST
I would love to be a Game Host; in fact I inquired about it some time back. Unfortunately, due to my schedule, I can only commit to a specific time block on Sundays (and Holidays), and so never sent in the finished application. I have been around forever, am very active on the Forum Boards and have decent knowledge of the game and its mechanics. Can I be a "Sunday only" Host?

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/29/2010 07:54 PM CST
Hi Throgg,

Sorry it took me so long to come back here to see your post. Getting sick and then the holidays has kept me tied up!

As to your question, I'm afraid that only being available one day per week doesn't work. Each Host is responsible for three two-hour shifts each week and doing all shifts on the same day is simply too much.

If your schedule changes in the future and you're available more days per week then please feel free to put in your application. Thanks!

Zyllah
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 11:48 AM CST
I loved loved loved my time as host! I would highly encourage anyone who likes to help their fellow players apply.

The six hours a week isn't really that hard to fit in when you consider how much time you spend just hanging around in game not doing much anyway. It's just kind of a re-allotment of Gemstone downtime! Plus, I found I still had plenty of time and desire to play my PCs. Hosting doesn't kill the magic, I promise!

Vanah
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 11:58 AM CST
>I loved loved loved my time as host! I would highly encourage anyone who likes to help their fellow players apply.

> The six hours a week isn't really that hard to fit in when you consider how much time you spend just hanging around in game not doing much anyway. It's just kind of a re-allotment of Gemstone downtime! Plus, I found I still had plenty of time and desire to play my PCs. Hosting doesn't kill the magic, I promise!

>Vanah

Props to you, because enjoying it is about the only reason I can see to be a host. I have horrific visions of whiny and annoying players, though. It's certainly not worth it monetarily: 6 hrs/wk, 4 wks/month = 24 hrs/month. Compensation is, what, a free premium account? = $39.95/24 hours = $1.66/hr.

I wish Simu would be a bit more professional about things. Relying so much on player enthusiasm as a business model seems abusive.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 12:39 PM CST
>I wish Simu would be a bit more professional about things. Relying so much on player enthusiasm as a business model seems abusive.
~ Nuadjha

Because it needed emphasis.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 12:43 PM CST
No, you get the basic access free; $11.95, I think. (You can Host with just one paid character slot.)

Your decision to throw extra money at them for Premium/Platinum/Shattered is entirely on your own hook. :)
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 12:56 PM CST
You're dating yourself, Robert; it's $14.95 these days. :P Revise that figure to $0.62/hr.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 02:00 PM CST
<<Admin hide Hidemove Movemove Edit
reply Reply
>I wish Simu would be a bit more professional about things. Relying so much on player enthusiasm as a business model seems abusive.
~ Nuadjha

Because it needed emphasis.>>

Lets do some cussin and discussin.

Why do you view it as unprofessional? What would make it seem more professional to you? Pay? A premium account? What?

SGM Sleken
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 02:17 PM CST
Meh I don't think anybody does it for compensation.

They do it for thier own enjoyment.

Personally I applied years ago, was turn down so I have no intentions of applying again.
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 02:41 PM CST
>Why do you view it as unprofessional?
SGM Sleken

Look at the yearly 'goals' put out at the beginning of every year. Then look at the list of accomplished 'goals' released at the end.

If development doesn't get done, goals not accomplished, the players get essentially told 'you can't expect much from a staff made up almost entirely of volunteers'*.

There's no accountability. At least not the same type of accountability you'd find in an actual business with paid employees.

*Note this isn't a judgment on the output that actually gets done, but simply the method that Simu uses to staff.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 03:01 PM CST
Oh, GM's. I thought we were talking about hosts.

SGM Sleken
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 04:01 PM CST
On being a host..

I presume the Mentor Society is still active, as I see the building and occasionally hear a crier announcing one. Given their particular set of tools, the only difference in being a host and a mentor is the free acount. The mentors have time requirements, or did when in a past life I was one, but I am not familiar with current requirements or process and cannot speak directly to that.

I suppose my point is that if you have a limited amount of time available, and cannot meet the schedule required of a Host, then you should have oppurtunity to become a Mentor. The same requirements are in place, as far as policy, and the only stringent application boundary is perhaps the willingness to RolePlay. I again presume the barriers to becoming a mentor in today's age have been removed from the Mentor Society I belonged to, and understand that understanding game mechanics, and a willingness to assist anytime someone rings that bell, would be prerequisites to membership.

If I could not meet the time requirements to qualify as a host, being my only barrier, the mentor society may be a viable option for those who want to help.

Hope that rambled adequately to make my point.
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 04:31 PM CST
Farmer's on the right track, but I do think the circumstances are a bit different for Hosts. It looks like there's been a problem recruiting hosts for awhile, and I would suggest that it's because there is a very low return on investment for being a host.

You put in your 24 hours (and possibly more for training), you get yelled at by customers, you get very little respect, and you can't really do anything to solve problems or express your creativity like you can if you're a GM. You do get to be part of a somewhat select community, but only in very limited ways and always as the low man on the totem pole. The only other benefit, the free basic account, is so minimal as to be almost not worth mentioning. The result is that Hosts perform almost completely thankless jobs.

I called this situation unprofessional because it leads to a lack of accountability for Hosts and, by extension, bad customer service for Simu. Without meaningful compensation, Hosts cannot realistically be held to any standard. Hosts won't take the job seriously, other people won't take hosts seriously, and Simu has no leverage to maintain any standard (i.e. by deducting or decreasing pay). As it stands, i Simu gets upset and threatens to take away $15 a month, most people are going to shrug and dare them. Hosts are thus a bunch of powerless, smiling faces whose only real function is to provide a buffer between GMs and players.

If you want more hosts, and if you want better customer service for Simu, you need to make being a Host more respectable, which is going to mean compensating it better: monetarily, creatively, and authoritatively. If you don't want to pay them (even minimum wage as independent contractors), then a free premium account or two would be a start, or free auction or event tickets, or some other perqs. Considering the people you want to apply to be hosts, creative license or game perqs are probably your best bets for incentives.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 06:27 PM CST
I've always thought I got a high level of customer experience from interactions with game hosts.

The criticism doesn't sound constructive, but it would had if it were said that maybe more people would apply to be host's if <insert idea here>.

I've been a game host for other games and I enjoyed it. I did not receive any compensation. I think Simu's policy is fair, I agree it would be more tempting if they offered a platinum subscription for hosts or even premium. The best host's aren't going to be doing it because of monetary gains though. Any influx of interest bought by offering more in returns would wain once people realized they don't really want to perform customer service. I think Ideally it would be better to reward Host's with more compensation the longer they hang around and better they perform.

just my two cents.
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 06:41 PM CST
Now I don't know if I am giving up any secrets here, but back in 03 or 04 I was a host. I had to put my accounts on hold when I started my graduate studies at USM and when I reactivated after getting my Masters, I never went back to being a host.

Anyway, reading through this thread, I have noticed that a lot of people are making incorrect assumptions. I am sure that if I divulge some information not for public consumption, the post will get pulled, but I don't remember being told NOT to say anything.

Anyway....

<< It looks like there's been a problem recruiting hosts for awhile, and I would suggest that it's because there is a very low return on investment for being a host. >>

I disagree on there being a very low return on investment. I know of a few GMs that were hosts when I was a host. I never rubbed elbows with staff when I was a host since I hosted much like I played...I am a loner by nature. But I think the main return on your investment when being a host is that you achieve GM status. Being a host is a good gauge if you are considering being a GM, or if you applied for a GM position and were passed over. If I remember correctly, GM slots are offered to Hosts before being offered openly...your basic hire in-house before you go and look elsewhere.

<< You put in your 24 hours (and possibly more for training), you get yelled at by customers, you get very little respect, and you can't really do anything to solve problems or express your creativity like you can if you're a GM. >>

Again I disagree. The training is not hard and not all that long. When I hosted, I never got yelled at. I would say that 99% of all assists I did, the player with the problem was very pleasant, even if they were completely boneheaded. About the only time there was an unruly assist was when someone was agitated over something that happened in game, and if you sit back and not get dragged into it, you can understand where they are coming from and help them.

As far as not being able to do anything to solve problems, that is not true. About 80% of the assists I received were basically PEBKAC. Once you explained what was going on to the user, they understood what happened and they were happy. Usually they just want to know why something is the way it is. And yes, Hosts have tools to help them do their job, and these tools are not available to mentors or players. Nothing like GM tools...just tools that give the host information to help troubleshoot problems.

As far as expressing creativity, that was never my thing. But Hosts get to play NPCs at events and help with storylines. If you have a creative mind, they are more than willing to listen to your ideas and even give you the lead. You get out of it what you put into it.

<< You do get to be part of a somewhat select community, but only in very limited ways and always as the low man on the totem pole >>

I never felt this way. The GMs always seemed to take very good care of the hosts since they were the front line. They always looked out for us, answered any questions, helped out instantly when we needed it. You were part of the team and it was never demeaning.

<< The only other benefit, the free basic account, is so minimal as to be almost not worth mentioning. >>

There are other benefits and I am sure I am not supposed to talk about them. Nothing earth shattering, but well worth it if you ask me.

<< The result is that Hosts perform almost completely thankless jobs. >>

Incorrect. I was thanked all the time when I hosted. I enjoyed it and it was actually fun.

<< I called this situation unprofessional because it leads to a lack of accountability for Hosts and, by extension, bad customer service for Simu. >>

I feel you are making this statement without full knowledge of what comes with being a host. I was fully accountable for my actions as a host.

<< Without meaningful compensation, Hosts cannot realistically be held to any standard. >>

Meaningful compensation is varied depending on the person being compensated. If you are looking at being a host as a second job to help pay the rent, stop right now and look elsewhere. Myself, I wanted to give back to the community (as mushy as it sounds it is true) and being a more mechanically minded person, I felt I could offer help by being a host.

<< Hosts won't take the job seriously >>

Spoken totally out of ignorance.

<< then a free premium account or two would be a start, or free auction or event tickets, or some other perqs. >>

Hmmm...remember those perks I mentioned. I'm not going to say what they are, but you are close and they have been in place for DECADES.

The way I see it Nuadjha, the best way to fix any problems you see with being a Host is to become one yourself, see firsthand what it entails, how it operates and what benefits you receive...and then you will actually be in a position to suggest proper changes you feel need to be made.

- - - - -
Ron
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 08:04 PM CST
>The way I see it Nuadjha, the best way to fix any problems you see with being a Host is to become one yourself, see firsthand what it entails, how it operates and what benefits you receive...and then you will actually be in a position to suggest proper changes you feel need to be made. ~Lucos

I elaborated on my perspective since Sleken wanted some more thoughts. I have no interest in being a Host, mostly for the reasons I outlined. Perhaps if the benefits of being a Host were more thoroughly spelled out, more people would be interested.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 08:09 PM CST
<< Perhaps if the benefits of being a Host were more thoroughly spelled out, more people would be interested. >>

There is always that, but SIMU has always been rather tight-lipped about the exact specifics of what benefits are given to contractors. If you are wanting to do it just for the benefits, then it is not really something you should do. But for those that love the game and playing characters is getting rather boring...being a host is a really nice change of pace and you get out of it what you put into it...plus some nice bennies.

- - - - -
Ron
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 08:13 PM CST
I see where you're coming from, Rob, and in terms of what people should do for their community, I more than agree with you. However, Simu is a business, and capitalizing on people's desires to contribute to their community without adequately compensating them (from my perspective) strikes me as abusive of those people and of their senses of social duty.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 08:16 PM CST
<<The GMs always seemed to take very good care of the hosts since they were the front line. They always looked out for us, answered any questions, helped out instantly when we needed it.

I know I'm incredibly grateful for the work the Hosts do, and I try to take care of them with anything they need while on-duty. I also know that's the general feeling amongst the Assist/Referral handling GMs.

<3
Itzel

Team Plat
Forest Gnome Guru
Elven Nations Guru
Wordsmiths Guru
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 08:20 PM CST
<< However, Simu is a business, and capitalizing on people's desires to contribute to their community without adequately compensating them (from my perspective) strikes me as abusive of those people and of their senses of social duty. >>

When someone offers you X for doing Y, then it is your choice to say yes or no. I was never forced to be a host. The argument can be made that a volunteer corp of hosts will do a better job because they care about what they are doing and not what they are receiving. If you just flat out paid $XXX an hour, then any bum looking to pay his portion of mom's power bill while he lives in the basement would take the job...because it is just a job then.

The way I see it, if you don't think it is worth it, that's cool. It's not for you. It's not for me anymore either, but for different reasons. But it very well could be worth it for some people and if they are satisfied with what is offered, why roast SIMU over coals for it. And if people stop accepting host positions due to poor/lack of benefits, I am sure those benefits will go up to entice people to be hosts.

That's just how it works. It is a business after all.

- - - - -
Ron
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/30/2010 09:00 PM CST
We apparently have very different ideas of what it's like to be a Host and what makes for an ethical business model. The gist of my comments, though, is that from my player's perspective, being a Host seems like a raw deal. If Simu wants more hosts, then they need to demonstrate that it's not. The former and current hosts and the GMs chiming in are a start, but they're mostly just affirmations without many details.

This would all be a moot point if enough people were jumping at the opportunity that there didn't need to be several requests for Hosts, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/31/2010 09:46 AM CST
I think some people are projecting their own actions and beliefs outward and assuming all people are like that. I'd wager that it's the opposite and in fact a large number of people would find the work extremely rewarding and would also find that most of the time it's fun and enjoyable.
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/31/2010 06:01 PM CST
>Nuadjha's posts

I am not at liberty to disclose all of the benefits of being in the host program, which leaves me in the awkward position of saying you'll have to take my word for it, which I hate, but you'll have to take my word for it.

I was a host, before I became a GM, and a host trainer, and I never felt abused or inadequately compensated. I both enjoyed the job greatly and felt like it was worth the time I put in. And as someone who accounts for billable hours in my day job, I tend to obsessively maximize value for all my time.

Also, hosts are not low man on the totem pole but are tremendously valuable. And your speculation that Simu is powerless to "discipline" hosts and that they are unprofessional as a result is inaccurate. The standards for being a host are high, and Simu is not powerless. But more than that, it pains my heart to see any even roundabout suggestions that our hosts are anything less than professional and highly courteous. The hosts I have had the privilege of working with all care greatly about helping players and take great pride in doing a good job.

~Kveta, hopped up on cold medicine, but hopefully still making sense
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/31/2010 06:24 PM CST
>>I elaborated on my perspective since Sleken wanted some more thoughts. I have no interest in being a Host, mostly for the reasons I outlined. Perhaps if the benefits of being a Host were more thoroughly spelled out, more people would be interested.

That is certainly my thinking. I can't speak for everyone, but this sort of thing (both here and elsewhere) is the kind of thing I'd like to do (that is, help the community and whatnot), but it's really hard to justify the time expense as a volunteer. There's just too much to do and in many cases there's a lot one can do just as a player (though not necessarily the same amount here, I'm not entirely sure offhand).

So for a lot of the borderline people, and I imagine there are quite a few, knowing specifics could easily push someone over that line. Would it be entirely based on said benefits? Not so much, but it could certainly tip the scales.
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 12/31/2010 07:48 PM CST
What sort of things can you do as a player? I've honestly never seen a list of what needs to be done. I come up with lots of ideas, but it would be sort of fun to see a list of what all a player could do.
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 01/01/2011 01:29 AM CST
<< What sort of things can you do as a player? >>

Basically, be available to answer questions. When I hosted, 75% of all assists were somewhat new players mostly confused about something or going off of bad information.

It should be noted that for someone that has played the game for a long time and are used to how the game is run, they hardly ever have to do an assist. When they do, it is because they know they need a referral or they have to have an incident documented (such as a WARN INTERACTION violation) and the host route seems like a waste of time. I would wager that the last 20 assists I have had to do over the past decade I immediately asked for a referral because I knew the host could not do anything for me. I still had to tell them all the information and whatnot, and while to some that may seem like a waste of time, being able to resolve issues before a GM gets involved is a big thing if possible.

But for those new users, a host is invaluable. There are also certain types of players that won't believe a damn thing anyone tells them unless that person is an official representative of SIMU. Not everyone reads the boards (official or unofficial) and not everyone has a good grasp of mechanics in the game.

- - - - -
Ron
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 01/01/2011 08:35 AM CST
What sort of things can you do as a player? I've honestly never seen a list of what needs to be done. I come up with lots of ideas, but it would be sort of fun to see a list of what all a player could do.

Stop and say hello when you see new folks in town, in your guild, in your hunting area, wherever. Make it a point to say hello to new faces for any given professions that you play regularly. If the person is fairly new to the profession (even if not to the game) then there are generally a number of basic questions that can be puzzling and frustrating to work through that can be addressed with a few moments of your time.

I have given quick tours of the town to help get people oriented, directed them to appropriate hunting areas for their profession and training, provided basic training and equipment advice, provided guild training advice, given guided tours of hunting areas, and provided other general assistance as needed. A little bit of help on your part can go a long way towards improving someone's enjoyment of the game and there are plenty of non-tangible rewards as a result of the effort put forth.

-- Robert
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 01/01/2011 02:06 PM CST
I'm a little late, but hosting was a great experience for me. I started as a GameHost in 2007 and later became a Senior GameHost in 2009. For me, hosting was never about the compensation, it was about being able to help players where I could.

I really enjoyed the problem solving aspect of being a host, as well as being able to help with mechanical mysteries. It might not be for everyone, but GameHosts are greatly appreciated for the time they put in.

____
~Wyrom
Host Team
Training Team
Platinum Team

>The hobgoblin suddenly wakes from his slumber and slams the club into his own skull, killing himself.
>Sjira exclaims, "Hobiside!"
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 01/03/2011 09:31 AM CST
Well I'm late checking back in here too!

Limper spelled out a lot of important info. Hosting is fun! I've been involved in the Host program for over ten years now and believe me I haven't stuck around that long for any reason other than that I've enjoyed it. We want people who want to be Hosts because they think they will enjoy it in and of itself, not because they are being paid to be there. Giving back to the community is another good reason for Hosting.

Hosting is not a thankless task. It always feels great when you can do something to help out your fellow players. Hosts are thanked frequently, sometimes even on the boards. I am very proud of the job that our Hosts do, they're a great bunch of people to work with!

As was stated, our requirements for Hosts are actually very high and Hosts are always accountable. Luckily, because of our high requirements, that last part almost never comes into play because we bring in good people to start with.

Someone mentioned frequent requests on the forum for Hosts. There were two this year, spread 10-11 months apart. The reason for the recent one is because we're trying to get people in specific time slots. The vast majority of our apps are for evening hours so the competition to make the team in the evening is pretty stiff. Another reason is because people often apply to be a Host, then they stop playing the game very much or close their account. So we look for fresh apps from people actively playing.

I will clear up one thing on benefits. Hosts do get a free Premium, not a Basic account. This was changed a few years ago.

Thanks to everyone who has applied and indicated interest in helping GemStone continue to be the best game there is.

Zyllah
GSIV Host Coordinator
Re: INTERESTED IN BEING A HOST? 01/03/2011 09:35 AM CST
I forgot to add, we actually don't get irate players very often. And when we do, a lot of times they just need a chance to vent and then they're okay. I've seen lots of Hosts over the years deal with a player who starts out really upset, but is able to joke around by the end of their assist.

Most assists are about technical issues or when a player is confused about how something should work.

Zyllah