2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 01/15/2013 06:41 PM CST
We are currently looking to put together a new hiring class of GMs. If you are interested in contributing to GemStone IV from the staff perspective, you should consider applying.

As a member of the Technical Systems Development team, you will contribute to some of the core systems of GemStone. Some of these systems include: professions, combat, creatures, and societies.

After basic GM training, we will get you up to speed on coding in GSL, allowing you to begin creating with the guidance of an experienced GM. Although referral shifts are not required for this team, you may on occasion be consulted to investigate code-related issues.

If you are interested in joining us, submit your applications here:
http://www.play.net/gs4/apply/apply.asp

If you have already applied within the last six months, you do not need to submit again unless you would like to update any of the information on the applications.

If you have any specific questions about what to expect in your responsibilities, please post them here or send me an email.

-M.
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 01/15/2013 07:29 PM CST
What are the typical time requirements for this position (hours per week/hours per month)?

Does joining the team prevent your characters from participating in pay events/raffles/etc?

-- Robert
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 01/15/2013 09:38 PM CST
>Does joining the team prevent your characters from participating in pay events/raffles/etc?
-- Robert

Yes. It has to.

-farmer
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 01/15/2013 10:17 PM CST
>What are the typical time requirements for this position (hours per week/hours per month)?

It tends to vary from project to project, but around 4 hours a week would be realistic.

>Does joining the team prevent your characters from participating in pay events/raffles/etc? -- Robert

Staff members are barred from competing with players for limited release prizes, but you can still otherwise attend events and partake of anything unlimited (shops, souvenirs, games, etc.).

-M.
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 01/15/2013 11:17 PM CST
>It tends to vary from project to project, but around 4 hours a week would be realistic.

To clarify lest I set unrealistic expectations for other teams, that is typical in-game time for the team that I oversee. A lot of what we do is handled in email discussions and offline coding/QC as well.

-M.
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 01/16/2013 06:40 PM CST

What specific computer skills would be required?
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 01/17/2013 02:05 PM CST
>What specific computer skills would be required? -CELTICROSE

For GSL developers, some programming knowledge is certainly beneficial. Mostly we're looking for a knowledge of basic logical constructs and familiarity with program flow. It doesn't necessarily have to come from a formal computer programming background -- if you're comfortable with Excel macros or another scripting language, you should be fine in that regard.

You must also be able to work well within existing code structures, as GS has quite an extensive history. Our modern standards are pretty reasonable, but maintaining the code base can be a bear when you're required to delve into older systems.

-M.
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 01/17/2013 05:25 PM CST

>>but maintaining the code base can be a bear when you're required to delve into older systems.

AMEN!
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 01/17/2013 10:49 PM CST
> Our modern standards are pretty reasonable, but maintaining the code base can be a bear when you're required to delve into older systems.

That tends to be one of my favorite things, actually. :) Lots of ancient knowledge found in old code especially if it forms the foundation for other systems built on top of it. I definitely wouldn't underestimate the challenge of maintaining code that's probably about 20 years old, though.

Why are vaespilons always smiling? Because they know what's about to happen next...
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 01/18/2013 10:24 AM CST
You have a sick sense of pleasure. :)

As I currently maintain decade old code I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 01/18/2013 04:59 PM CST
>You have a sick sense of pleasure. :)
>As I currently maintain decade old code I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Haha. I know. :) I've got some 10 year old Perl code at work that I've had to maintain since it controls one of our essential features. Weirdest moment when I first started with it was finding that the original designer had implemented a file copy himself by writing the bytes from one location to another (among a few other things)... of course the function name gave no clue as to this.

It's not my favorite code to work with, but exploring it and figuring it out was fun.

Why are vaespilons always smiling? Because they know what's about to happen next...
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 01/22/2013 09:46 PM CST
>To clarify lest I set unrealistic expectations for other teams, that is typical in-game time for the team that I oversee. A lot of what we do is handled in email discussions and offline coding/QC as well.

As a minor point of clarification here, I would expect to spend a great deal of time in-game while going through training and while learning the game intricacies. These days, I do almost all my work offline until the testing and debugging stages, but for the first year or so, I was in-game constantly to make minor incremental changes or experiment with something. I still stay in-game fairly often when working, even if I don't need access to the resources, just to keep an eye on the "pulse."

I also wish to state this: before I joined staff, I thought I knew a great deal about what happened "behind the scenes" from other friends and contacts. A lot of what I "knew" was negative, and most of it turned out to be entirely wrong. If anyone is in a similar position, I would suggest asking questions before making too many assumptions.
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 01/23/2013 11:24 AM CST
Is it necessary to fill out all of the tests on the application or is the Development GM: Magic, Combat, and Technical Systems the only one required?

Thanks
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 01/23/2013 04:46 PM CST
>Is it necessary to fill out all of the tests on the application or is the Development GM: Magic, Combat, and Technical Systems the only one required?

>Thanks -STEALTH2600

You should fill out both the general GM application and the Development GM application.

-M.
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 02/06/2013 01:11 PM CST
What is the expected amount of time before one can expect some correspondence from submitting an application? I am just curious as to whether you folks are still going through a ton of new applications still, or have already gone through them and selected possible trainees for GM positions already.

--Zizzle
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 02/06/2013 03:24 PM CST
We're still going through the applications. It's a pretty long process, but we haven't begun the interviews or emails to my knowledge. Hang in there!

~Wyrom, SGM
Quests
Platinum
Promotions
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 03/03/2013 08:18 PM CST
As far as tecnical stuff goes, I can't do squat. I'd like to help newbies via something like the Mentors, though.

Seriously, guys, this game has a ridiculously high learning curve for new players. I'd be willing to try and write a new player guide, for a decent compensation. No, not cash, just some alterations or such. Hmmm, do we even have any newbies any more?

The bells of Hell
o ting-a-ling-a-ling
or you but not for me
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 03/03/2013 08:41 PM CST

You should put in a mentor application, that sounds like a project the group would tackle.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Forest Gnomes
Half Elves
Weddings
Re: 2013 Technical Systems Development GM Hires. 03/04/2013 01:57 PM CST

Seriously, guys, this game has a ridiculously high learning curve for new players. I'd be willing to try and write a new player guide, for a decent compensation. No, not cash, just some alterations or such. Hmmm, do we even have any newbies any more?

As mention put in a application to join the mentors. We are working on an updated newbie guide and its the #1 job to help players.