Halfling language 04/26/2011 12:01 AM CDT
Does anyone happen to have any sort of halfling language dictionary?
Re: Halfling language 04/26/2011 07:10 AM CDT
Halflings have their own language and we've never had a player created one. There aren't even any words 'fabricated' for clothing, food, or the like. I did alot of research on Halflings when I first took over and have never found (even searching player sites) anyone that has one.

Personally, I don't see a need for it. Halflings have been around since the One and the Many created the original six races. I believe, based on many of their roaming traits, that they are brought up speaking two languages. Common and Halfling. There shouldn't be a need to create words for them, common is too integrated into their society.

~*~ Thandiwe ~*~
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Re: Halfling language 04/26/2011 06:40 PM CDT
I like to think of halfling language as more of a 3 language upbringing common,halfling, and truefolk.With truefolk a language that uses a vocal above the hearing range of the other humaniods.Halflings having taken up common and halfling(a toned down version of truefolk that still can be heard because true truefolk makes the biggers paranoid). as a result of separation the main body of halflings dealt with in western elanthia,the paradis now rarely use it, with many of the young not even knowing they have a second vocal range.Just knowing they can hear things like dog whistles. Where as the other 3 clans of the trine use it but out west as individuals whats the point speaking in a language only you understand
Re: Halfling language 04/26/2011 07:20 PM CDT
There isn't anything that would, or will, support that. Speaking in subhuman sounds would mean that the halflings have vocal abilities that their current physical nature couldn't support.

Halflings speak Halfling & Common. They don't speak in dog whistle.

~*~ Thandiwe, who isn't sure if Tyver's comment was serious or not ~*~
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Re: Halfling language 04/26/2011 07:46 PM CDT
Hhahahaaha.
Re: Halfling language 04/26/2011 07:57 PM CDT
How about if they've been drinking the aged mulberry wine to excess again?

-- Faulkil

Silence thunders on as time still reigns
threads have been broken but the pattern remains
perhaps its not too late, to mend what is broken
time will tell what needs to be spoken
Re: Halfling language 04/27/2011 09:05 AM CDT
>Speaking in subhuman sounds would mean that the halflings have vocal abilities that their current physical nature couldn't support.

Superhuman sounds. Halflings are the squeakier race so it is humans that might make subhalfling sounds ;)

Infrasound is probably more relevant than ultrasound. Halflings will not hear quite as low frequencies, so will suffer the anxiety inducing effects of infrasound from noise that is audible to humans.
Re: Halfling language 04/27/2011 09:28 AM CDT
[The Dancing Pony Inn - Barroom]
Three halflings huddle at a corner table nursing their drinks. A large crowd of humans clusters noisily around the bar and clamors for "More ale!" and "Whiskey!" A roaring fire wards off the chill of the spring night.

A oak-barred tavern door opens.

The constable just arrived.

The constable says, "All right, folks, we've got a stray child. I've got a pair of her pants here, and we're going to need some help finding her."

The crowd murmurs among itself, but no one steps forward. Finally, they part to reveal the three halflings huddling at the table.

The constable considers the halflings for a moment, then nods. "Roy, Thuran, Blick, you three get some leashes."

Speaking to the halflings, the constable says, "I've heard you all can hear and smell things humans can't, and the old hound dog just died. I'm going to need you to kindly put these leashes around your necks and find this girl."

The halflings break for the door, but the humans stop them, leash them, and lead them back to the constable.

One halfling mutters, "I'm going to kill whoever started this rumor."

The constable and a crowd of humans exit, led by the three halflings.

"Put your noses to the ground, lads, we've got a girl to find!"

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Halfling language 04/27/2011 09:43 AM CDT
I approve of the above message.

"Halflings speak Halfling & Common. They don't speak in dog whistle." - GM Thandiwe
Re: Halfling language 04/28/2011 09:31 PM CDT
NIR says no so as in the old days, what a gm says goes.But how soon those old days are forgotten when in most fantacy games elves, half-elfs and halflings had passive infra-red vision, dark elves and some others has active infra red besides regular vision. And undead saw the living aura of their live pray.But we live in a resource limited world in elanthia and pretty much the only difference in races is down to just height and ear shape.Because anything else doesn't fit in the program and screws up the computer. But hey it beats the two hour math sessions to resolve a 30 second fight.
Re: Halfling language 04/28/2011 10:57 PM CDT
>NIR says no so as in the old days, what a gm says goes.But how soon those old days are forgotten when in most fantacy games elves, half-elfs and halflings had passive infra-red vision, dark elves and some others has active infra red besides regular vision. And undead saw the living aura of their live pray.But we live in a resource limited world in elanthia and pretty much the only difference in races is down to just height and ear shape.Because anything else doesn't fit in the program and screws up the computer. But hey it beats the two hour math sessions to resolve a 30 second fight.

If you really think the only differences between races in Elanthia are 'height and ear shape', I would submit that you're doing it wrong.

--
You quietly whisper to Tolomyn, "I would like 'an unpretentious albugineous rumchunder dress whorled with chrysochlorous penniform arabesques', please."
>
You gaze hopefully at Tolomyn.
>
Tolomyn stares at you.
Re: Halfling language 04/28/2011 11:39 PM CDT
When there is no real difference between most races,besides descriptions.You can claim cultural and mental differences all you want, but if 95% of players these different races run around acting like humans with an (insert race here)sign on them.Is there really any difference,different races are suppose to be from different origins and have different talents are there any? yes one when born you automatucally know a language only your race and no other can speak even thou your character background story has you an orphan raised by another race and no other race can learn it even thou all have same vocal talenrs except thru magic.
Yes, there are some who do a better job of non human attitudes than the rest,i quess i'm finally reaching the burn out point too and should start thinking about stepping away for awhile.
Re: Halfling language 04/29/2011 12:19 AM CDT
I've always kind of liked that Gemstone races didn't have the cookie cutter racial conditions, like darkvision, not sleeping, and whatnot.

I always felt that GS had well developed cultural and historical reasons for the stat mods each race has, but left each race close enough for RP to be "valuable" point during creation.
You don't pick a dark elf for darkvision and spell resistance. You choose to be one because you want to be one. You find a history, or culture that fits.

However, I also don't know about this "rumor" pertaining to Gnome hearing. I would like to hear about the story behind this so I may counter myself.

Any care to share the tale for the uninformed?

Ack! Scarab!
Re: Halfling language 04/29/2011 12:38 AM CDT
>You don't pick a dark elf for darkvision and spell resistance. You choose to be one because you want to be one.

Well that, and their +10 to CS.

"Halflings speak Halfling & Common. They don't speak in dog whistle." - GM Thandiwe
Re: Halfling language 04/29/2011 11:08 AM CDT
As time has passed, there has been an increase in different races gaining advantanges or disadvantages, many of them in a passive sense. You may not think about the halfling or gnome being unable to ambush the head of a giant when you're dodging those roa'ters flying up out of the earth. You may not think about the certain advantages that appear in the starting stat bonuses to each race. You may not think about the effect or lackthereof cold weather on half-krolvin when other people start receiving damage from those harsh winds. Nor think about the natural inclination of sylvans to imitate the sounds of nature when the human warrior bungles the simplest bird call.

In sum, there are differences between the races. Are they exaggerated differences, like "infared vision" or something to that degree? No, not necessarily and not often. In a way, the races are a bit more grounded, but which reflect something more of the traditional fantasy idea of different races prior to the emergence of authors and creators who sought ways to give their fantasy creations an extra edge of difference that screamed, "Hey, my dark elves are DIFFERENT than those dark elves!"

I agree, as well, that it would be awesome if there was a viable language learning ability in game. Perhaps one day there can be, but how it would be designed and implemented is an ongoing question. In part, it's also hampered by the very rich roleplaying material that has developed around the races of Elanthia. As noted, a lot of difference emerges when you examine the cultures and histories of the various races. Elanith is not a continent of happy races living together in harmony, but one in which past and present prejudices can and have flared up to everyone's dissatisfaction. That it seems every person, your common X, the a <gender> <race>, seem to blur together might contribute more to people just not tapping into an enormous reservoir of information available to them. They have that choice, but it's one that in my opinion results in a great many missed opportunities. Nothing is more enjoyable than sitting in a room of players who have adopted or at least made themselves knowledgable of the culture and history of their race and others. It is something somewhat akin to Elrond's council, so to speak.

I think it is worth while goal to continue to seek ways, both mechanical and in documentation, to set apart our races. Everyone should always feel that they can offer suggestions, but just so long as they know that a suggestion is just that. There's no guarantee that the GameMaster in charge of a race or subject will necessarily agree with it, but none the less, the GameMaster will always appreciate that someone is taking an interest in their favored area. We seek out to be the gurus of races, religions, etc, not because we have to, but because we want and desire to. Our guru areas are subjects we love and want to continually improve upon.

To conclude, keep thinking on ideas. Keep suggesting them. Just because today's suggestion wasn't adopted or agreed upon doesn't mean the next one won't be, or the one after that or the one after that. The imagination of our players, particularly those who show a true zeal for a particular culture or race, are among the richest troving grounds for great ideas. At the least, we're thankful you cared enough to make the suggestion, even if we don't agree with it. Please keep it up!

GM Scribes, who has no role whatsoever with halflings, but loves player interest of any kind.
Re: Halfling language 04/29/2011 11:20 AM CDT
Nice message. Wish I could have said same -- but I got stuck on elves and enchanting. ;)

Doug
Re: Halfling language 04/29/2011 05:17 PM CDT
there is differences between the races

dwarves forge better

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Toadstool News and reminders at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/zullogoth/
Re: Halfling language 04/30/2011 08:03 AM CDT
They smell funny too...

-- Faulkil

Silence thunders on as time still reigns
threads have been broken but the pattern remains
perhaps its not too late, to mend what is broken
time will tell what needs to be spoken
Re: Halfling language 12/03/2012 05:35 PM CST
I come back here periodically to re-live Thandiwe's legendary post.

I still smile when I read it.
Re: Halfling language 04/26/2013 09:11 AM CDT
>I agree, as well, that it would be awesome if there was a viable language learning ability in game

As with many things that get written off in Gemstone as "hard to code", or "impossible to code", it's existed in a free-to-play MUD with no funding for a decade (Bloodlust/Duris). Maybe email their devs and ask how they did it?
Re: Halfling language 04/30/2013 06:39 PM CDT
While I'm no GSL wizard....okay, I know NO GSL, but given my associations, it's entirely possible, and I'm theorizing, that there's two possible problems:

1) The nature of GSL doesn't lend itself to easy coding as the code used in other games.

OR/AND

2) It may not be the coding per se, but figuring out how to properly implement an ability to learn languages, from speed of learning to how many languages an individual can learn. For example, if it was too easy to learn other languages, then it'd kind of defeat the purpose of languages as a way to set apart races.

My thoughts, any how.

GM Scribes
Re: Halfling language 04/30/2013 07:22 PM CDT
Solution: Simucoins.

Obviously.