Re: Half-Elven heros/villain 06/01/2011 03:08 PM CDT
WAY late but...

<<If that's of interest I could put something on the calendar (city crises allowing) and have her show up again.

Yes, please :)

~EC
Half-Elven heros/villain 02/18/2011 08:56 PM CST
While there is no real culture documentation for half-elves due to them being so widespread perhaps something else could be put in its place with a couple examples/tales of half-elven heroes and villains throughout the course of Elanthia's time line.

-James-
player of Fremie

Mirayam says, "You are not a rogue, sir."

Mirayam exclaims, "You are noble!"
Re: Half-Elven heros/villain 02/19/2011 07:07 AM CST
Well,

There is me, Greganth, Hero. Then there is you, Fremie, Villain.

Any questions?

;)
Re: Half-Elven heros/villain 02/20/2011 12:56 AM CST
I am teh evils?

-James-
player of Fremie

Mirayam says, "You are not a rogue, sir."

Mirayam exclaims, "You are noble!"
Re: Half-Elven heros/villain 02/20/2011 08:47 AM CST
Oops! My bad. Reverse that.
Re: Half-Elven heros/villain 02/25/2011 06:33 PM CST
I think two very obvious ones have to be noted.

Baron Malwind is a half-elf, and he's the Baron of Vornavis. Personal bias would say he's a hero.

And then the late Baron Hochstib, considered by many to be a scourge upon many? Also half-elven.

Also, there's old legends that Selantha Anodheles herself, while probably not completely half-elven, had enough elven blood to make the heritage noticeable. And she built an empire.

While those three may not equate to what some would call 'heroes' and 'villains' (well, Hochstib probably fit the bill for many), they're still important enough figures that I would think significant enough to warrant emulation, or vilification.

-A

http://azuresun.net
http://www.twitter.com/SolhavenGS for Solhaven updates and other happenings around town.
Re: Half-Elven heros/villain 03/05/2011 12:55 AM CST
The half-elf doc does mention a few. Whether you consider them villains, heroes, or something in between would depend on how your character views the world.

The ones I am thinking of are two people mentioned who made efforts to create half-elven safe towns, Ysandra (half-Nalfein) and Miguel (half-umm...Allaceian? Heh, dunno the right term).

Then there's Rhyston (half-Loenthran) who founded and ran a conservatory in Ta'Loenthra that was somewhat famous for a few centuries.

Tirnelle (half-Illistimi?) invented a new means for preserving documents for libraries and universities. (Not something most adventurers would get excited about most likely, but some scholarly types might find her to be someone to honor.)

And then there's the enigmatic Shaundara (half-South Hendoran) who was the leader of the Silver Eagles.

On that last one, I had an NPC at the Convocation ticketed event who is a half-elf and had a great grandmother who was a pirate and was friends with Shaundara. The pirates's name was Melantha*. I wasn't too specific on actual percentages of human vs elf blood in their particular family tree. They can all be considered half-elves in the sense that they are all of mixed blood and a later infusion of more elven blood reinforced that in the family line.

Zedlantha is the NPC who was at the convocation to talk about her family history. I had planned to bring her to Solhaven to give the same presentation after the Convocation was done so that non-ticket buyers had a chance to go. But then there was that big storyline going on, with Solhaven ending up under water for a while and so it never worked out and then I kinda forgot about it.

If that's of interest I could put something on the calendar (city crises allowing) and have her show up again.

If anyone has some specific ideas for other notable half-elven historical figures (not anyone still currently living) feel free to email me. Depending on what I get and how much maybe we can see about adding to documentation.

Zyllah

* For those more interested in the human part of their character's heritage (or human pirates), Melantha sailed with Katelenn, known as One-Eyed Kate, who was captain of the Sea Dame. Melantha was the quartermaster on the ship. Though I never stated it, it should be assumed that Kate was fully human.
Re: Half-Elven heros/villain 03/05/2011 01:20 AM CST
On Selantha, I don't believe she was actually visibly not fully human, as that doesn't fit with the history. There were rumors that there was some elven blood mixed in the family line at some point. But they were only ever rumors. They could have been based on fact. Or they could have been made up and spread by detractors as a means to attempt to undermine her authority. In terms of official documentation it's a rumor only and won't ever be confirmed or denied. Meaning, individual characters can believe the rumors or not, but as far as game canon goes it's not a fact that she was mixed-race.

I thought I'd also add, in regards to my invitation to people to send me stuff if they have specific ideas for more historical figures, that you have to pay really close attention to timelines. When I was creating my story for Melantha I ran into a HUGE headache of having to decide how long each generation lived, and how that fit into history, etc. You should have seen my notes!

I had tons of notes for each person in the family because I had to decide how old the mother was when the child was born, how old the child was when the mother died (or if the child died first), how long each person lived. I had to decide what years were probably fertile years of each individual's lifespan. Which generation knew members of previous generations, etc. etc. My numbers changed at least five times before I thought I got it all to work out correctly. I had to be sure that Zedlantha's age worked with the number of generations and who she would have known and so on.

Obviously all those little details don't end up in the final result of what is presented to players. But you have to make sure it all works on paper and looks logical and realistic before you can call it good. There's quite a bit of latitude in how long half-elves live, and it will depend on whether they actually are exactly half, or if they are more like a quarter or less. There's randomness and how much influence their human heritage has on them genetically. So one mixed race individual could die of old age at 240 and another one might end up being really ancient at 500+ years.

When creating a history for an individual and not a family all the above detail isn't really needed. But you do have to pay attention to when and where the individual lived, what historical events were taking place during their lifetime and so on. You have to make sure you don't end up having your story conflict because you say they did something when they were 197 years old, but that something doesn't make sense for their location that long after they were born. Or doesn't make sense for the status of half-elves because things had changed 50 years prior to that.

It's fun stuff to work with though!

Zyllah
Re: Half-Elven heros/villain 03/13/2011 02:33 PM CDT
Ysandra Endrenor has always been my half-elven hero. I always hoped we'd learn more about her, as well as the half-elven town of Feagh.

The Blue Lobster:http://www.virilneus.com/shops/index.php?name=The+Blue+Lobster In caerulus cammarus vino veritas!
Re: Half-Elven heros/villain 03/30/2011 12:42 AM CDT
<<Ysandra Endrenor has always been my half-elven hero. I always hoped we'd learn more about her, as well as the half-elven town of Feagh.

I've never had any plans or ideas to expand on that. I've always imagined it as the sort of situation where you had a group of people partly made up of idealists, and partly made up of malcontent rabble rousers. The two didn't mix well in the short run, which partly affected their long run. Factor in political games, along with a poor choice of location and lack of skilled people, and it was pretty much doomed to failure. :) On the political/cultural stuff part of the intent was to point out there was a clash between those who were heavily influenced by Nalfein culture, and those who had remained outside of elven culture and were more influenced by human customs.

From all that you can take away pretty much anything you want to for your character, including bemoaning that your hero couldn't seem to get the idiots to cooperate with her enough to make it a success!

Zyllah
Re: Half-Elven heros/villain 03/31/2011 03:07 PM CDT
I've always imagined it as the sort of situation where you had a group of people partly made up of idealists, and partly made up of malcontent rabble rousers. -Zyllah

Exactly. What's not to love about that? :)

Also, tough as nails Nalfein half-elf? Again, gotta love Ysandra. I'd call her Sandy, and she'd beat the crap out of me.

Droughtman asks, "Did any of you still have questions for me?"

Speaking to Droughtman, you ask, "What's the tallest mountain in Elanthia?"

Droughtman exclaims, "Get out!"

Droughtman beats you severely.
Re: Half-Elven heros/villain 08/10/2011 01:26 AM CDT
Miss Nixandrea "Nixxi" Peyroux Dagon Nalfein has long been acknowledged a hero by some sailors & sea captains, a villain by others.

Stance on the subject generally depends on the current amount of favor they have with Charl.