Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/07/2015 02:26 AM CDT
Howdy folks!

I have taken upon the role of guru for half-elves, and I am extremely excited to be working with this race, as it has always been my favourite. I’ve read back through the topic, and I hear ya – we are in definite need more defiant and/or proud half-elven verb characteristics, as it up until now it has mostly been relegated to shame-related messaging or playing up our human/elven sides.

But I would like your ideas if there is any verb in particular you’d like to see done, or if there’s any interest in a half-elven shops or items showing up at a festival or two. Or any other feature or idea you have for the race! You can reply here and/or shoot me an e-mail at GS4-Zythica@play.net, however you like.

We also need to hold our OOC meeting. If it’s not too soon, I’d like to hold it June 6th at 9pm Eastern; but I will not add that to the calendar yet until I hear some feedback from you guys.

Together we can bring into the forefront of Elanthian society that which we already knew – that our melding of characteristics from those two fledgling races into one harmonious perfection is one that should be respected and celebrated! The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and all that jazz.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

--Zythica
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/07/2015 04:23 AM CDT

Sweet.
Shops and items would be cool, though dunno what yet.
As far as verbs,how about flippin the bird?
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/07/2015 05:01 AM CDT
I'd like to see storylines and events.
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/07/2015 05:21 AM CDT

Shop Idea!

Name: Half and Half

On the counter you see:

A pitcher of cream

What? You wanted more?
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/07/2015 09:29 AM CDT
Good luck!

Doug
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/07/2015 11:01 PM CDT
Woohoo!

This isn't normal!
What do you mean this isn't normal!?!
This is way worse!!
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/08/2015 10:12 AM CDT
They may be half-elves...but when I kill 'em, it still costs a whole-deed!

Mwu ha ha ha!

-GM Kenstrom-
Waylayer of Wehnimer's Landing
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/08/2015 11:20 AM CDT

I think an awesome storyline for half-elves would actually be where one of Kenstrom's baddies appealing to half-elven insecurities and rejections, to gather us all into some sort of military force to kill all the pure blood humans and elves.
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/08/2015 01:34 PM CDT
'Tis a shame they only have half as much moxie. Elves needed the Arkati to build their empire- humans carved theirs out of the wild on their own. BURN CREAM FOR SALE!

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/08/2015 07:40 PM CDT
i would love to see some half-elf only verbs, maybe make some use of the [raise fist], [shrug], and [ignore] verbs
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/09/2015 02:10 AM CDT
More half-elf verbs? I'll have to give this a lot of thought. One thing I definitely would like to see is perhaps access to the human BOW options for half-elves with human/imperial culture settings. :)

~Arrec's Player
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/09/2015 03:34 AM CDT

>>More half-elf verbs? I'll have to give this a lot of thought. One thing I definitely would like to see is perhaps access to the human BOW options for half-elves with human/imperial culture settings. :)<<

I think that's very smart. It would be very astute, and interesting, to play on the reality that many half-elves identify with the culture in which they were raised, and the reality that many of them may have even "passed" as full blooded human or elf for a time. I play a half-elf who passed as human while very young, and she still sees herself as human, with the elven part as inauthentic.

A fun take on this would be to give half-elves with a human culture selected access to a version of BOW that was basically reworded to be similar, but off. Not quite right.

You could do the same thing with Illistim verbs, even. Similar versions for half-elves from Illistim... but not quite right.

I can't remember which other elven or human cultures have their own verbs, but, it's just an idea.

-E
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/09/2015 10:06 AM CDT
>>I think that's very smart. It would be very astute, and interesting, to play on the reality that many half-elves identify with the culture in which they were raised, and the reality that many of them may have even "passed" as full blooded human or elf for a time. I play a half-elf who passed as human while very young, and she still sees herself as human, with the elven part as inauthentic.

This is Arrec. He does not identify strongly with his elven blood, because his elven father was never present in his life. Of course at the same time, his mother's family worked diligently to ensure he never forgot he was, after all, a bastard and "different."

>>A fun take on this would be to give half-elves with a human culture selected access to a version of BOW that was basically reworded to be similar, but off. Not quite right.

I really, really like this idea. Something like..

bow submissive
You bow low, abasing yourself before all. Add to the end of this "with a carefully maintained neutral expression."

And for "bow respectfully," replace the bit about "Fixing your eyes firmly on the ground," with:
>Taking care to train your eyes forward, you bow respectfully.

Or targeted:
>Taking care to train your eyes on (target), you bow respectfully.

I like it because it bespeaks a certain degree of wariness while still being respectful.

bow grand
>Sweeping your arm outward, you bow low with an almost elven grace.

bow contemptuously
>Your face darkening grimly, you make a contemptuous half-bow.

bow mocking
>You bow mockingly, tilting your head in such a way to draw attention to your slightly pointed ears.

Just a smidge of defiance in that last one. smirk Someone more familiar with the Illistim verbs can take a crack at those, and I'm sure some very interesting things could be done with a half-human "corruption" of the Vaalor verbs as well.

~Arrec's Player
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/12/2015 02:02 AM CDT
Thanks for the input, guys! I really like the ideas (and enthusiasm) you are presenting!

--Zythica
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/12/2015 05:26 AM CDT
Don't have any half-elves, but I'll offer my two cents.

One thing that changed from GSIII days was to legitimately allow different kinds of half elves via the Clan selection (or however exactly it works). I think it's super cool that now you can look at characters and see a line other than "Half-Elf" depending on the character.

In that vein, I would think that perhaps some kinds of racial verbs might be unlocked only for various kinds of half-elves. This should be different than, say, halflings which have different cultures, since their race is all considered the same. With elves this is basically not the case (or at least, we mechanically distinguish three and a half kinds of elves), so I think it stands to reason that a Half-Faendryl and a Half-Sylvan may have different specific verbs which are more tailored to their breed. Naturally, you can get some inspiration from the other elven-specific messaging, and tweak it up.

Actually, I have no elves of any kind, so I'll let others run with this idea as they like (or not).

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/16/2015 06:46 PM CDT
I would love to see the Pariah title come back as an option along with the possibility of being half-human instead of half-elven.

I would love to see some areas in particularly intolerant towns, where half-elves an other social misfits could gather, that was maybe slightly antagonistic to any of the dominant culture who might stumble into the establishment. maybe a shanty town/crooked way tavern or something where pure elves/humans get bottles or something thrown at them if they dawdle too long, but doesn't outright preclude them visiting.

I have always hoped there might be a group to join for half-elven support/resistance much like humans and elves have knightly orders, if yer looking for name suggestions I'm partial to g.u.i.l.e, Guild of the Unwelcome, Ignoble, Liars, and Exiles.

Archales
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/18/2015 09:17 AM CDT
FYI, Kenstrom is working on a document of various groups/orders/etc in the Turamzzyrian Empire. You might want to ask him to consider including such a group in his doc while it's not too late!

GM Scribes
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 05/18/2015 10:31 AM CDT
Great suggestion Scribes, I'll go do that now.

Archales
Re: Half-Elven, All-Awesome 06/01/2015 05:21 PM CDT
THANK YOU for this, I'm thrilled!

I've always thought something like a Half-Elf "language" would be a great RP opportunity. Years ago, there WAS a Half-Elf language that I always (in my mind) compared to some sort of Pidgin-type langage that was used when they were with other Pariahs. I understand why it disappeared, but-

What about a language of signs/symbols understood only by Half-Elves? We could trace such a thing all the way back to Oblone and its founder Miguel Tyssaryn-- Half-Elves then and now need some sort of private communication.

Christine and Bekke