mages 04/28/2014 04:20 PM CDT
Deleted the last post; this is better. Two mages in a row. Their heads seem squishy, more so than the spiritmasters. (What level are these guys, anyway?)

>hide
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>pun mage head
You leap from hiding to strike!
You make a precise attempt to punch a Taladorian mage!
Your attack is hindered by holding an elk-painted brown orase targe!
You have excellent positioning against a Taladorian mage.
UAF: 293 vs UDF: 338 = 0.866 * MM: 90 + d100: 78 = 156
... and hit for 60 points of damage!
Teeth knocked out... through the back of the Taladorian mage's head!
The Taladorian mage rolls over and dies.
The shimmering multicolored sphere fades from around a Taladorian mage.
The Taladorian mage no longer bristles with energy.
A luminescent aura fades from around a Taladorian mage.
A Taladorian mage glances around, looking a bit less confident.
The tingling sensation and sense of security leaves a Taladorian mage.
Roundtime: 4 sec.
R>loot
You search the Taladorian mage.
You discard the mage's useless equipment.
It had 23 silvers on it.
You gather the remaining 23 coins.
It had nothing else of value.
A Taladorian mage decays into compost.
>stance def
You are now in a defensive stance.
>
A Taladorian mage just arrived.
>hide
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>
A Taladorian mage searches around nervously.

A Taladorian mage glances around, sure that it has missed something...

H>stance off
You are now in an offensive stance.
H>pun mage head
You leap from hiding to strike!
You make a precise attempt to punch a Taladorian mage!
Your attack is hindered by holding an elk-painted brown orase targe!
You have good positioning against a Taladorian mage.
UAF: 293 vs UDF: 323 = 0.907 * MM: 79 + d100: 75 = 146
... and hit for 48 points of damage!
Palm strike to face drives nose straight into brain!
The Taladorian mage falls to the ground and dies.
The shimmering multicolored sphere fades from around a Taladorian mage.
The Taladorian mage no longer bristles with energy.
A luminescent aura fades from around a Taladorian mage.
A Taladorian mage glances around, looking a bit less confident.
The tingling sensation and sense of security leaves a Taladorian mage.
Roundtime: 4 sec.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: mages 04/29/2014 04:47 AM CDT
Hmm, interesting ... it would appear that these guys, along with archers and spiritmasters (Hanging Inn area) are in the upper 50's in level. Rather amazing, since my rogue is only 45 at present.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: mages 04/29/2014 04:49 AM CDT

>(What level are these guys, anyway?)

If you are the only one killing them, check your fame before and after looting them. Fame for a solo kill that you learn from is exp/10+level*10.
Re: mages 04/29/2014 11:31 PM CDT
>>If you are the only one killing them, check your fame before and after looting them. Fame for a solo kill that you learn from is exp/10+level*10.<<

Ah! Heh, I haven't paid attention to my fame in so long, I would never have considered that. Thanks, maybe I'll try that. I did think of something else to try though. I grabbed my friend who is a level 66 mage and brought her there, and she was able to get some experience from killing them, which gave me a general idea.

Oh, and a warning before you all run out and try to gorge on these guys. The spiritmasters, who are in the same area, are a doable for me but are a lot harder and riskier; I end up chipping away at them a bit at a time. Their heads don't seem nearly as squishy, and they are clerical types. They aren't terribly perceptive, but if they sense someone hidden they will often toss off a censure spell, which will not only freeze you but also knock you out of hiding. They are responsible for all my deaths in that area, the damned Taladoran heretics! (The archers, who are the third type in that area, while apparently somewhat hardier than the mages, seem to have no special powers except to shoot pointy sticks at you).

Re: mages ... and Taladoran levels 04/30/2014 06:29 AM CDT
Rathboner has come up with a useful chart. If accurate, it explains why I found the mages easiest of the three infesting the Hanging Inn area; they're only 50 trains vs 55 and 60 for the others. Useful chart for planning your hunt, in any case. I reprint it here; now go out and make the beggers pay!

Near walls
Armiger 5
Incanter 10
Spearman 15

Coastal Cliffs
Spiritcaller 20
Axeman 25
Arcanist 30

Mine road
Spellweaver 35
Scout 40
Infantryman 45

AI area
Mage/Spiritmaster 50/55 (I think this way round but can't be quite sure)
Archer 60

Near kappas/Charl shrine
Pathfinders 65
Swordsmen 70
Flameweavers 75

Danjirland
Soldiers 80
Stormcallers 85
Purifiers 90

Melgorehn's Valley
Crushers/crusaders 95/100 (not sure which is which, purifies are the highest level caster I can get a definitive level from)
Legionnaires 105

Not sure where they come from but I see them wandering between hobs and the AI
Crossbowmen 110
Warmages 115 (inferred rather than personally verified)
Knights 120

Re: mages ... and Taladoran levels 04/30/2014 02:24 PM CDT

Damn, no wonder I kept running into death. I took out my 44th rogue that I just changed to monk to test out the monk class. I thought if I went further away from town I could find safer areas to test things on critters. I just kept running into nastier and nastier foes until I hit the AI and got my backside handed to me. Thanks for that info/post. Looks like testing my characters and relearning how to play around The Landing isn't a good idea currently. lol.
Re: mages ... and Taladoran levels 05/01/2014 12:47 PM CDT
For that level 110-120 group, you know where you've got the turn into Graendlor pasture, then the other leading down to Sol Haven? On that same southeast stretch the turn off that leads northeast into an area with forest trolls and lesser orcs is where those creatures spawn.
Re: mages ... and Taladoran levels 05/11/2014 12:10 AM CDT
<<Knights 120

Okay, that makes me feel much better about getting twatted by one of these.