Conceptual ideas - roles of woman 11/12/2015 11:58 AM CST
A VERY long time ago, I wrote out a draft for an NPC elderwoman at the Highman Games. I always felt the role of females - especially in the Bear Clan had some amazing potential for RP expansion. Below I've added an excerpt of a potential NPC tour guide at the Giantman games.

Giantman Notes: The role of women: (conceptual ideas) (via NPCs)

“There have always been three stages to every woman’s existence among the clans. As maidens, we learn to fight with spear and sword, often challenging men in their own games of strength and skill. Some eventually feel the desire for family and hearth. They become the mothers - the nurturers of the clan. They support our existence and our sense of home. As we age and our children have grown - we become wise and knowledgeable in the ways of the world. We become advisors to the warchief, the warriors and always to the women of the clan.”

“I, Andamise have been all three. Wardaughter. Nurturer. Advisor.”

“What is the role of women? Interesting that you should ask such a question, outsider. Look around you at the women of the clans. Our roles are as varied as the men. Men are warriors, yes. So are we. Perhaps not always as strong as the burliest male, but we make up for such things by our speed and reflexes in order to subdue a foe. Why match strength to strength, when you can outmaneuver and outwit your opponent? Use terrain to your advantage and catch him off guard, I always say.”

“Even the women of the T’Kirem fight bears, outsider. But what the men do with brute strength, the women do with style. Such is the way of the Wardaughter.”

“Look there. A mother cares for her child. Another there is cooking with the others of the clan. They are the Nurturers: those that have put down their sword to support the clans’ internal needs, just as some men have turned from combat to become smiths and craftsmen. Often the desire for children, injury or simply a sentimental heart has given both men and women a continued and prominent place in our clan. Though, only women are required to put down arms once they are with child in order to protect our progeny. Thus, typically those with a warrior's heart never manage to settle down…”

“Then, there are those who are too old for combat and whose children have grown. They are not a burden to the clan however, as they make themselves useful by offering advice and lessons due to their experiences over the long years. The wise warchief will not disregard even a woman’s advice, and all is received in equal measure from all the elders. Should he ignore the elders and lose his battle - he is disgraced, showing him to be a weak and prideful leader. By their vote alone, the elders then choose a new leader should the current warchief fall from grace, or fall in battle.”

(from early GS notes, circa 2000 -2006)

-player of Tarkisis Castile
Re: Conceptual ideas - roles of woman 11/12/2015 12:02 PM CST
And here is the NPC Andamise's continued discussion regarding roles in the T'Kirim Clan:

Giantman Notes: The role of professions in the Clans: (conceptual ideas) (via NPCs)

“Ah, but what of myself you ask? I see the question unasked in your eyes. I have the skill of herbs and the knowledge of magic. I am both feared and revered in my status, for it is a dangerous talent. I can take another’s wounds and heal them. My magic is accepted with trepidation, and only the warchief can permit my use of it amongst the tribe. During wartime, I am invaluable - though war has not seen my tribe in many years. Most healing is done with herbs, for that is what my people understand and trust to not go awry. The stories of Maelshyve still linger in the hearts of all clansmen, despite the millennia that has passed. There is simply the trust in oneself, over the trust for intangible concepts.”

“My eldest son has magic that is rare and seldom seen amongst the clans. Warchanters are prized amongst the Warchiefs, even amongst the T’Kirem, though there are still insecurities of their ability to manipulate the warp and weave of spiritual and elemental powers. The eldest tribes still forbid any magic amongst their people, while some - such as mine, accept it hesitantly. All other magic simply is not trusted amongst the T’Kirem. Some Grishknel tribes have accepted those with the magic of nature and outright refuse the magic of the Warchanters. Their methods of stealth do not promote the need for a bard. The Wsalamir have recently revealed that they have wizards that specialize in ice magic, due to their reverence of the wendigo. Healers such as myself are accepted with reservation, but like any other magic-user amongst the older clans, we are met with restriction that is ruled by the Warchief and governed by the elders. Newer clans offer far more acceptance, but the T’Kirem are my people and my home.”

“All other wielders of magic, mainly wizards, sorcerers and priests of the Arkati are encouraged to find hospitality amongst one of the newer clans. It is a difficult transition and I am glad to have not needed to leave. Despite this, most are given invitation to join a newer tribe to give them welcome. Few however go unwanted. Those that do, typically show signs of unrest or chaotic behavior in the their control of magic. They are sent on the journey to the Grot’Karesh’s city of Kilanirij in the Southron Wastes. If they survive, but go mad - they are delivered to Kilanirij’s Asylum for study. If they manage in their journey to control their magic and their wits - they are accepted as a citizen of the fortress city only after several years of tutelage.”

(from early GS notes, circa 2000 -2006)

-player of Tarkisis Castile
Re: Conceptual ideas - roles of woman 11/16/2015 12:54 PM CST
Email me, will ya? You're stirring up thoughts!

GM Scribes
Re: Conceptual ideas - roles of woman 06/11/2016 11:42 PM CDT
Thought it has been 8 month since this was posted, this is how i see the Wsalamir. This whole thing is very Celtic pagan with the maid ,mother,and crone. Im trying to work something up that i did back in the late 90's that will go much more in depth to the Wsalamir clan and there believes, society and home. I hope to post it here soon see what everyone thanks
Re: Conceptual ideas - roles of woman 05/05/2017 05:21 PM CDT
Ever get into the Witcher series? The Skellige Isles would be a perfect fit for Giantman style in Elanthia. Giantmen need their own fortress ala Conan the Cimmerian, but until then you can go visit Skellige in the Witcher 3 and soak in the ambiance ;)

"We serve her who is virgin, mother and crone!"

- Skellige Healer

NEVER NOT POST