Town defense systems wiki article 09/17/2017 01:22 PM CDT
Hey all,

The wiki had only a stub article about how to use ballistas which I was going to expand on... then the scope crept up to a general article on how to use all the various defense systems and areas. I am pretty much only knowledgeable about Landing systems, so I need help with other towns.

If you want to help, please post locations of things, instructions for use, and, if you have them, logs of use of invasion tools from your favorite towns! :D If the item has any special requirements such as "more effective when used by groups," or "must be activated by GM," please include that info as well. I'm going to add another section for completely automated things like the NPC archery tower outside the WL west gate, so if there are other things like that, please feel free to let me know what/where they are.

Here's what I have so far:

https://gswiki.play.net/Town_defense_systems

And a talk page if you'd like to coordinate on the wiki itself: https://gswiki.play.net/Talk:Town_defense_systems

Thank you!

/seo, wheels and skulls department/
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/17/2017 05:25 PM CDT
This is a fantastic Wiki addition. Ever since towers were first incorporated into the game I've wanted something like this. Thanks for the work!

I am Wiki ignorant for the most part, so would you mind also adding a little bit on logging and blessing the logs and adding them to the piles?

Also it is important to know that ranged weapon skills are NOT necessary to fire bows from the towers, rooftops and anywhere else you can partake of these activities, but, if you DO have ranged training it seems to be a bit more "deadly".

Also, bows are much more fun to use than crossbows, the RT is lower so you get to shoot more.

Thanks Seo, this is an excellent tool for everyone!

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

http://radeekandoran.blogspot.ca/

http://thetehirchronicles.blogspot.ca/
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/17/2017 07:05 PM CDT
I'll add Ta'Illistim's Crystal Defense System instructions once I master wiki formatting. If anyone wants to do it for me, here's the skinny:

Crystal Defense System!

First and foremost, you will need to either be of elven blood or accompanied by a citizen of Ta'Illistim. If they are not leading your group, then you will be barred passage, however, you can still aid in the defense of the city even during peaceful times by walking to the entrance of a tower and using the INFUSE mana command. You can choose how much you would like to infuse into the pool there -- an example is as follows:

[Ta'Illistim, Tower of Shadows]
An ivory-hued pool ripples quietly within an upraised platform -- its edges swept with a runic pattern that intertwines in a thin circular border. The peaked ceiling is also inscribed with a series of sigils, their pale sapphire hue resonating with a faint light every few moments. Polished white marble walls gleam faintly with the pulsating light, and several elven guards stand at the threshold of a set of ivory spiral stairs leading further up.
Obvious exits: out
>infuse 100
You focus your power, and feel it being pulled upwards towards some unknown source.
Roundtime: 10 secs.

This will increase the overal power of the tower to produce effective crystals. Assuming you are permitted to the top of the tower, you will find yourself in front of an orb. If you take a look at it, you'll be aware of how much power is currently at your disposal.

[Ta'Illistim, Tower of Shadows]
A faceted shadowy orb hovers in the middle of the room, suspended by a column of liquid shadow that ripples and wavers every few moments. A pattern of concentric silver rings radiates outwards from the orb, each inscribed with a variety of intertwined sigils. A deep hum reverberates throughout the chamber every few moments, accompanied by a wan light that washes over the surroundings like an ocean wave.
Obvious exits: down
>l orb
The orb glimmers with shards of shadow, a tiny spark held within the void wavering and pulsing with scarlet fire.

The orb's inner fire blazes with an almost blinding light.

It should be noted that you can also infuse in this room, as well.

Now you have a choice as to what element you would like your crystal attuned to. You can RUB the crystal to choose what it is currently attuned to, as demonstrated:

>rub orb
You rub the shadowy orb and its surface becomes awash in shimmering earth-toned hues for a moment.
>rub orb
You rub the shadowy orb and its surface becomes awash in fiery scarlet-toned hues for a moment.
>rub orb
You rub the shadowy orb and its surface becomes awash in icy blue hues for a moment.
>rub orb
You rub the shadowy orb and its surface becomes awash in mellow airy white hues for a moment.

Now you'll want to TOUCH the orb to summon a crystal:

>touch orb
You send forth your power toward a faceted shadowy orb, and feel it begin to resonate with your own essence. After a moment, you feel a tenuous link with a manifestation of its power -- a crystal whose presence you can faintly feel... and more importantly, its will is yours to command.

If you're using StormFront, a menu will pop up that allows you to control the crystal more easily, however, you can get an easy menu of commands by typing TELL, as below:

>tell crystal
Tell crystal to:

Attack <creature>
Look.
Move.
Leave.

You'll first want to get your bearings, so TELL CRYSTAL TO LOOK. Crystals spawn outside the gates when they're first summoned.

You concentrate and another vision superimposes itself over your own...

[Ta'Illistim, City Gate]
A cavernous opening in the cliff's steep face dominates the crest of the hillside, serving as the nearly impenetrable entrance to the great city built by House Illistim. A raised portcullis is barely visible at the top of the stony maw. Intricately carved columns flank the entrance, their crowns adorned with delicate silvered glyphs and toothily grinning gargoyles. Staked torches nearby cast an amber glow across the glyphs, highlighting their curves and contours with an eerie grace.
Obvious paths: southwest
Roundtime: 5 secs.

Now, let's move the crystal. This is achieved either by navigating through your StormFront window or the command TELL CRYSTAL TO GO <direction>

>tell crystal to go sw
You exert your will through the bond connecting you to the pale ivory crystal, and feel it propel itself southwest.
>tell crystal to look
You concentrate and another vision superimposes itself over your own...

[Whistler's Pass, Road]
The hillside climbs steeply northward, as sheer cliffs tower overhead to a dizzying height. The well-worn cobblestoned road winds its way towards the cliffs from the valley floor. To one side of the road, a small guard tower houses two elven guards, each of whom is diligently observing the few travelling this road at night. A lone torch burns at the base of the tower, casting a dim glow across the features of those who pass. You also see a translucent pale ivory crystal and a big mean monster.
Obvious paths: northeast, west
Roundtime: 5 secs.

Now, there's a monster there. You'll want to attack it, so tell the crystal to attack it like so:

>tell crystal to attack monster
You feel the essence of the pale ivory crystal reach forth and savagely lash the monster with the power of air!

Others will see:

The pale ivory crystal suddenly whirls about in a vicious spiral, savagely pounding a big mean monster with furious gusts of air!
... 30 points of damage!
Blow ruptures the stomach!

It is important to note here that training in specific elemental knowledge will aid greatly in attacking and how well you do with a crystal. Magical knowledge IS needed to work this weapon, but they can still be used by non-magical professions.

However, when each crystal is summoned, it has a certain repository of power contained within it. Attacking uses up power of the crystal, so after a certain amount of attacks, the crystal will not have any power left and will need to draw it from your own mana reserves, like so:

tell crystal to attack monster
The pale ivory crystal lashes out toward the monster, but misses!
The pale ivory crystal suddenly begins to feed off your own power!
Roundtime: 10 secs.

Each attack takes 30 mana from your head. If you run out of mana, then the crystal will disappear:

The pale ivory crystal lashes out toward the monster, but misses!
You feel the power of the pale ivory crystal slowly begin to dissolve into nothingness and soon after it slips away completely.

And that's it.

You can navigate the crystal around freely, and if you move out of the summoning room while in control of the crystal, your link will be broken and you will no longer be able to control it. As a result, you should dismiss the crystal before leaving the summoning chamber: TELL CRYSTAL TO LEAVE will do the trick.
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/17/2017 07:08 PM CDT

May want to mention that rooftops tree tops and mobile towers were put in for all but there to really help low levels to be a part of invasions. While they do not give full exp per kill they do give a little.
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/17/2017 09:51 PM CDT
Naamit: Wow, those crystals are more in-depth than I anticipated! They are also ridiculously cool. I will work on wiki-fying it in some kind of understandable way. I was under the impression that the crystals are not usable unless a GM activates them for use during an invasion, is that true? Thank you very much for the detailed info. If you want to QC it for me when it's done, I'll post here when I've got it up :)

Radeek: Thank you for the reminder about ranged skill and logging/blessing ballista ammo! I'll add those shortly.

Pup: I do mention in the first part of the article that the intent of most of this stuff is for low level characters to participate, but I'll expand on that and add the tidbit about earning XP :)

Other stuff I'd like to add if anyone knows offhand:
* which CHE's sponsored mobile towers. Also there used to be a regular mobile tower in town (non CHE logo'd) - I looked for it but it seems to be gone. Was it replaced by the CHE versions?
* I think there's more than one pylon in WL but I don't remember where the others are
* Am I missing something, or are the log trap logs only available from the general store backroom now? I tried to find the log field that was available for logging once but I don't remember where it is, and the logs you can obtain from the regular Dragonsclaw area don't work.
* Does the Teras gong summon friendly defender NPCs? Are there any items in other towns that do this besides the sphere in the WL west tower?

Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/18/2017 12:13 AM CDT

Seo tomorrow i will look for the spot. I am pretty sure you have to use the logs for the ballista. I thi k its one or two rooms past the PATH heading south. The two pylons i k ow of off hand are the two docks. I dont remember if the one on the cliffs are still there.
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/18/2017 01:52 AM CDT
Excellent! Thanks for working on this, Seo!!

Remind me, and I'll track down the pylons tomorrow... pretty sure I know (or have notes of) where they all are.

-- Wheels & Skulls Department

You see Blood Mayor Cruxophim the Blood Reaver.
“Blood for the Blood Mayor! Skulls for the Skull Office!”

[ Storyline: https://goo.gl/VQkXAZ ]
[ Order of the Shadow: https://goo.gl/88Ojff ]
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/18/2017 11:21 AM CDT
>> which CHE's sponsored mobile towers

Paupers (70m), Rone Academy (44m), Silvergate (50m), and Sovyn (42m)

206 million total was spent with our bids
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/18/2017 12:02 PM CDT
> I was under the impression that the crystals are not usable unless a GM activates them for use during an invasion, is that true? ~Seo

GM intervention is not required, however most of the towers are currently closed for some unknown reason. The Tower of Chaos is still open and fully functional: https://imgur.com/a/mMqJY
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/18/2017 04:18 PM CDT
I have not touched the towers since stepping into the town. I have no idea why or when the closed, but I can look into it.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/18/2017 06:24 PM CDT
Don't leave out the Drake in Ta'Vaalor, the realms' only working magical cannon. It's particularly deadly.

~Mazreth

"Mother should I trust the Government?"
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/18/2017 06:59 PM CDT

>Don't leave out the Drake in Ta'Vaalor, the realms' only working magical cannon. It's particularly deadly.

did you ever post instructions on how to work it? I am unable to find a post. Does anyone have a log? These are the details that Seo has been including in the article
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/18/2017 08:35 PM CDT
> I have not touched the towers since stepping into the town. I have no idea why or when the closed, but I can look into it. ~Valyrka

Thanks! Now if only we had some awesome invasions to use them on... :>
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/18/2017 08:38 PM CDT
I am going to make sure they are working correctly etc and then the sky is the limit.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/18/2017 09:19 PM CDT
Glad to hear it!

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/19/2017 10:39 PM CDT
Ok gang. I've made plenty of edits and changes, gotten much needed formatting help from Allereli, and have added all the stuff you guys have provided so far. I also did some scouting on my own in Illistim and Icemule, but not having any characters who are citizens in any other towns but Landing, I am definitely hitting some roadblocks, lol.

Naamit, if you want to check over the CDS instructions, I'd welcome your feedback.

New questions--
Icemule:
* Are the towers at the 4 corners of town ballista towers?
* Do they have oil vats or aerial attack windows?
* Do you guys consider the Icewall on the north side of town a defense system?

Illistim:
* I was able to enter the Tower of Chaos and the Tower of Shadows and infuse mana into the Crystal Defense System. I guess that means those two are available for use. When they're unlocked, are the other CDS locations the towers of Light, Fate, and Order? Do they all spawn crystals in the same location outside the city gates?

Vaalor:
* Haven't gone there personally yet but judging from the previous two towns and Vaalor's culture, I'll bet the Drake is restricted to citizens. Does anyone have instructions/logs?

Open questions from my last post--
* Locations of the other pylons in WL besides the Middle Dock
* Location of the log-trap logging field (I confirmed that ballista logs do not work as log trap logs)

Thanks to everyone who has taken an interest and helped out!

Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/19/2017 11:32 PM CDT
If it uses the field logs find that nust south of the path towards darkstone in lower dragonclaw where the kobolds roam west of town. There should be a pylon on the north dock and if not check on the ragin sea thrak.
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/20/2017 03:35 AM CDT
Funny story: Shinann noticed the the pylon-wielding boat was missing and inquired about it IC, so I asked and it turns out the boat was moved for the Albatross during Frontier Days but wasn't put back right away. It became this whole thing between with us with shuffling and misplaced paperwork, dock regulations, etcetera... hah.

As for pylons: I don't recall offhand where they used to be, but I think some have departed or been retired to that big airship/chimera/pyramid graveyard in the sky. I remember Bristenn(?), I think, got his head cracked on one... there used to be one outside the Barracks on North Ring Road, I believe, and maybe one on South Ring Road, but they're no longer there. Currently the only two I know of are at the one at the Dock, and one outside the Outpost.

I should investigate further, we must construct additional pylons!!

-- Wheels & Skulls Department

You see Blood Mayor Cruxophim the Blood Reaver.
“Blood for the Blood Mayor! Skulls for the Skull Office!”

[ Storyline: https://goo.gl/VQkXAZ ]
[ Order of the Shadow: https://goo.gl/88Ojff ]
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/20/2017 10:15 AM CDT
> Illistim: I was able to enter the Tower of Chaos and the Tower of Shadows and infuse mana into the Crystal Defense System. I guess that means those two are available for use. When they're unlocked, are the other CDS locations the towers of Light, Fate, and Order? Do they all spawn crystals in the same location outside the city gates?

1) No. Only Tower of Chaos is fully functional right now. The stairwell in Tower of Shadows is closed, so you can't access the control room upstairs. Note, anyone can infuse mana on the ground floors.

2) There are 5 "known" towers: Chaos, Shadow, Light, Fate, and Order. It appears there used to be a sixth; more on that below.

3) They all spawn directly outside the city gate in Narost Room 41. Note, crystals cannot be moved through barriers such as the city gates themselves, paths, trails, etc. The crystals below probably belong to the closed towers and should have de-spawned several years ago. Looks like we need a cleanup in aisle 41!

[Ta'Illistim, City Gate - 41]
A cavernous opening in the cliff's steep face dominates the crest of the hillside, serving as the nearly impenetrable entrance to the great city built by House Illistim. A raised portcullis is barely visible at the top of the stony gate. Intricately carved columns flank the entrance, their crowns adorned with delicate silvered glyphs and toothily grinning gargoyles. Daylight shimmers across the glyphs, highlighting their curves and contours with subtle grace. You also see a translucent pale ivory crystal, a yellow tent, a fiery deep crimson crystal and a frost-edged pale cerulean crystal.
Obvious paths: southwest

Tower entrances:
Tower of Chaos: [Ta'Illistim, Baeialin Court - 201]
Tower of Shadows: [Ta'Illistim, Glaendier Wey - 174]
Tower of Order: [Ta'Illistim, Weyr Var - 207]
Tower of Fate: [Ta'Illistim, Sylvar Wey - 700]
Tower of Light: [Ta'Illistim, Vaeshean Wey - 713]

The curious case of the sixth tower:

In pulling up the NAROST room numbers, I realized we have two Baeialin Courts in Ta'Illistim, one on either side of the city, each with a belltower. The Tower of Chaos always existed on the west side of town off Sorchar Wey in a room called Baeialin Court. The Baeialin Court on the east side of town has been there since the early 2000s and contains an undocumented tower, too. They contain the same room text even and I suspect the undocumented tower is drilled to Chaos. No idea how I never noticed that before...

Could make a fun storyline; discover the fate of the sixth tower, eh?

>
[Ta'Illistim, Shorchar Wey - 200]
A bench sits alongside the wey, placed on a little hillock of grass seemingly created for just that purpose. The cobblestones continue past, each one set with the next in a bumpy, raised pattern of undulating silvery blue. You also see a white-feathered peahen.
Obvious paths: northeast, south, west
>w
[Ta'Illistim, Baeialin Court - 201]
A round belltower, capped with a dark lapis-tiled spire, occupies the center of the courtyard. Atop the spire, the silver and sapphire pennant of House Illistim waves slightly in the breeze. A thanot door appears to be the only source of egress from the tower. Near the top of the dark grey granite structure, a small window is barely visible.
Obvious paths: east
>

[Ta'Illistim, Stearriza Var - 726]
The var meanders onward toward a nearby bell tower, which rises above the blue-tiled rooftops. Between two houses' dooryards, a tiny garden has been cultivated, its centerpiece a small birdbath.
Obvious paths: southwest, northwest
>nw
[Ta'Illistim, Baeialin Court - 738]
A round bell tower, capped with a dark lapis-tiled spire, occupies the center of the courtyard. Atop the spire, the silver and sapphire pennant of House Illistim waves slightly in the breeze. A tanik door appears to be the only source of egress from the tower. Near the top of the silvery blue stone structure, a small window is barely visible.
Obvious paths: southeast
>
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/20/2017 05:12 PM CDT
I found a lot of interesting quirks after the last huge town update. No idea what was planned there, but I will also look into this mysterious tower.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/20/2017 05:39 PM CDT
Hey Seo, I "think" that arrows can be stored in at least some of the town defense areas of the Landing, without the risk of loss from the janitor. There used to be lockers in some of the towers/gates that were put there specifically for arrow storage. I haven't taken a look at the towers since the war with Talador, so that may have changed. Ephya would be a good person to ask, she did a hell of a job with the towers during that time.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

http://radeekandoran.blogspot.ca/

http://thetehirchronicles.blogspot.ca/
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/20/2017 05:51 PM CDT
Icemule:
* Are the towers at the 4 corners of town ballista towers?

No, they are for storing weapons and herbs in the lockers and cabinet. You must be a citizen or in a citizen's group to enter passed the gate guard.

The ballistas are in the two towers on either side of the south gate.

* Do they have oil vats or aerial attack windows?

No oil vats in Icemule AFAIK.

Aerial attacks are possible from the west, south and east walls. The walls are accessed through the barbican towers, there are two at each gate. So there are 6 separate sections of wall, 2 at each of the 3. You must be a citizen or in a citizen's group to get passed the gate guard. You "PUSH" the rope out of the tower to climb down to the wall sections. [Please "PULL" the rope back up whenever you exit so invaders can't sneak in ;P] These sections each have 4 rooms and attacks are launched through the crenels.

Each of those rooms ice over and must be kept clear by using an ice pick. They have not been cleared for many years so the rooms are all moderately slippery. You used to risk falling with severe, up to deadly, injuries. That was toned down some time ago but the slipping mechanics are still there. Crawling will move you safely or survival training will avoid slipping, much like ice patches on the trail.

* Do you guys consider the Icewall on the north side of town a defense system?

The north wall is a trap!! The rooms there are VERY slippery and cannot be cleared like the others. There is no attacking since there are no "rooms" on the other side of that wall, because it's a huge glacier.

Olgre's pea brain
Re: Town defense systems wiki article 09/20/2017 05:52 PM CDT

Thanks! FWIW, it appears the duplicate Baeialin Courts have been around since Ta'Illistim opened (verified between Aug 2001 Tsoran map and a player log). Feeling rather dumbstruck that I hadn't noticed it any sooner. :)