Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/08/2015 02:19 PM CDT
Can we make all the local priests respond to the same request for this instead of most of them having their own thing? As it is right now one has to ask for life, raise, or resurrection depending on your location. I find it annoying because I never do remember which one goes with which town and more importantly it would make it easier on new players if they either required the same or they responded to all of the above.
Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/08/2015 02:28 PM CDT
Any or all work for my cleric. Why does it need to be standardized? Use whichever you prefer.

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/08/2015 03:41 PM CDT
Are you referring to the NPC clerics?
Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/08/2015 03:43 PM CDT
I believe TROUBLE13 was referring to the NPC clerics.

I haven't used them myself in a long taunt of years, but they've always been a bit of a puzzle and I generally forget myself. The only one of course I always remember offhand is Priest Kindarel in Solhaven, but that's due to going to that NPC a lot back whenski. Heh.

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/08/2015 05:24 PM CDT

I find I have to use the point and click method in Stormfront to get a raise most times as I too can never remember how to ask for a raise. Not about a hypothetical raise....but the actual application of one.
Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/08/2015 05:34 PM CDT
Oh! Well that makes a lot more sense to me now.

The cleric on Teras requires that you ask for LIFE and it was a bit of a puzzle trying to figure out what to ask the first time or two.

I'd say update them so that they understand: RAISE, LIFE, RESURRECT, (anything else people commonly try to use) or make it so when you ASK cleric ABOUT SomethingTheyAren'tLookingFor they tell you exactly what they are expecting you to ask for.

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/09/2015 01:23 AM CDT
>I'd say update them so that they understand: RAISE, LIFE, RESURRECT, (anything else people commonly try to use) or make it so when you ASK cleric ABOUT SomethingTheyAren'tLookingFor they tell you exactly what they are expecting you to ask for.

At first I wasn't sure about this request. But as far as this component (or if indeed it's the whole idea), I definitely support.

In River's Rest: ASK SAL ABOUT FEE

Some other questions may get her to mention the word 'fee' in lowercase, and many other questions lead her to confusion. (Well, she is easily confused.) If Sal's going to get updated with some more general question traps, I'd really appreciate if giving her an item doesn't require tying the entire noun. "Give muff to sal" -> Confusion. "Give muffin to sal" -> Raise.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/09/2015 11:27 AM CDT
This is a good topic worth a solid look and all of the solutions have been seemingly excellent. I've always had a tricky time understanding the NPC clerics myself.

-J of G
Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/09/2015 01:49 PM CDT
I do want to point out, that I am opposed to changing Sal's flavor in RR. She isn't around all the time, hangs out at four different places, and requires odd items to raise.

But, a common method to ask, or removing her weird bug where full noun is required to give her an item...these I can definitely get behind.

Another idea came to my mind. How about deeds? I don't have an support for making deeds the same anywhere, but I wonder how the OP feels about a somewhat similar topic? I'm hoping the issue here is the literal verbs for the town cleric which can be inconsistent and obscure, and doesn't add any flavor.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/09/2015 03:46 PM CDT
>>I'm hoping the issue here is the literal verbs for the town cleric which can be inconsistent and obscure, and doesn't add any flavor.

That is why I started this thread.

As for deeds. Do they really add any more flavor to the game? In a lot of ways to me they just seem like a holder over from when the game first started or whenever they were introduced. The cost in silver to buy deeds isn't a lot, the time it takes to get them isn't a lot(especially with scripts). More often then not I tell people to just get them in the landing. Is there anyway to even figure out how to get deeds in game without speaking to another player? Having the methods for getting deeds more uniform would be nice but I can see how different places would have different rituals for it, I've heard the process on Teras is a huge waste of time and far too complicated. So, maybe make it a little easier in some places. Something I wouldn't mind seeing would be a priest(or some NPC) to walk people through it, this would be slower then doing it themselves but they'd be able to learn the process.
Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/12/2015 03:29 AM CDT
I can at least say I like the "flavor" of the deeds and NPC cleric in RR. I also get excited for Hearthstone since you can use absurd stuff like drake weapons or alchemy tinctures.

As for other towns or systems, I'd let their devoted citizens voice for themselves what they like.

Having local details that a new-comer won't immediately know isn't necessarily a bad thing; it encourages them to ask around, and encourages citizens to share their knowledge. I know a lot of the time people will google or gswiki the answer, but it provides an important opportunity for those who wish to pursue it in-game directly. This kind of richness and attention to detail is one of the strengths that makes GemStone immersive. Mechnically you want a deed, but you don't just pull the deed lever hanging on the wall...

Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/14/2015 12:16 PM CDT
>If Sal's going to get updated with some more general question traps, I'd really appreciate if giving her an item doesn't require tying the entire noun. "Give muff to sal" -> Confusion. "Give muffin to sal" -> Raise.

Give muffin to sal won't work if its done with SF.

give muffin to sal (PnC output) -> confusion

give muffin to sal (typed) -> raise
Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/24/2015 07:48 PM CDT
< I also get excited for Hearthstone since you can use absurd stuff like drake weapons or alchemy tinctures.>

And it's the only way to get rid of broken expensive lockpicks other then tossing them down the well.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/25/2015 02:51 AM CDT
>> I also get excited for Hearthstone since you can use absurd stuff like drake weapons or alchemy tinctures.

>And it's the only way to get rid of broken expensive lockpicks other then tossing them down the well.

FFFfffft. Disintegrate, and void illusion, and an open implosion. I have at least three ways!

Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/25/2015 08:06 AM CDT
<FFFfffft. Disintegrate, and void illusion, and an open implosion. I have at least three ways!>

...for the one lockpicking sorcerer in Elanthia.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/25/2015 09:20 AM CDT
>...for the one lockpicking sorcerer in Elanthia.

Phase is still the fastest and easiest way to look for glyph traps on most boxes!

Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 03/25/2015 02:57 PM CDT
<Phase is still the fastest and easiest way to look for glyph traps on most boxes!>

That trap doesn't even hit my radar when I think of which traps scare me... though, it does amuse me when folk cast 125 at a box with a glyph trap :P

Starchitin

Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 05/27/2015 06:49 AM CDT
Since I dropped picking a couple of days ago I'm learning how to open boxes with wedges or unlock. Glyph traps make everything fun. Teleporting all around in the temporal rift is kinda fun.
Re: Asking the local priest for a raise. 06/07/2015 01:42 PM CDT

What a sad comment on the state of/support for lock picking in GS these days. A ROGUE finds it better to drop lock picking skill and would rather abuse locks with wedges or waggles.