Permification request 03/19/2017 12:08 PM CDT
Can we please get scroll cutters added for permification? They're much like the runestone cutters currently allowed, in that it wouldn't offer any combat-related advantage. Ideally, this would be a Xerria thing, which is why I'm posting it here.

Thanks in advance!

She who eats kittens
Re: Permification request 03/19/2017 12:38 PM CDT
The owner of the scroll cutters did not want them available en mass via the PERM-ifier at Ebon Gate. It is therefore unlikely that they would be mass unlocked via a premium merchant.

___
ASGM
Re: Permification request 03/19/2017 01:06 PM CDT

>The owner of the scroll cutters did not want them available en mass via the PERM-ifier at Ebon Gate

respectfully request the owner of the scroll cutters to loosen it up a bit and let people get in on the fun. it's fun. it's not a splitter, ithzir, or anything else unbalancing. I think I own most or all of the perm cutters and would like as many people as have perm ranger boxes, runestone cutters, etc to be able to get them.
Re: Permification request 03/19/2017 01:14 PM CDT

maybe there should be a new rule if a fluff item hasn't been sold at any fest for 2 or 3 years, then "ownership" over a script and is revoked and any rules are nullified for less stringent staff to step in and accommodate requests
Re: Permification request 03/20/2017 03:27 AM CDT
So that poor Tamuz isn't having to be a go-between: the scroll cutters are not currently eligible for permifying -- the people who have won permanent ones in the past are the only ones who should have them at this time. Just because an item isn't mechanically advantageous and isn't released every year doesn't mean that it should automatically be slated for mass-released and/or permification. That isn't really the way all of our releases work. If you want to see the regular version in a shop during the year, that's a more likely scenario -- if there's actually interest in that.

~Kaikala

From nearby, you hear Ordim yell, "Dont eat meeeeee!"
Re: Permification request 03/20/2017 09:42 AM CDT

since the items fall along the lines of runestone carvers and ranger boxes in terms of functionality, the availability should be the same. it makes no sense beyond ego to keep them at such a level of rarity.
Re: Permification request 03/20/2017 09:48 AM CDT
>>it makes no sense beyond ego

Maybe. But - sometimes that's the best of reasons. I don't mean this 'meanly'. Consider what we can see of each other's actions that drive us, and tell me that ego is totally absent. There are damn few altruists in the world.

It's usually where we disagree as to matter of priority or value (such as here) that ego gets its bad rap - beneficially and omnipresent as it may be.

Doug
Re: Permification request 03/20/2017 10:05 AM CDT

>Consider what we can see of each other's actions that drive us, and tell me that ego is totally absent. There are damn few altruists in the world.

>It's usually where we disagree as to matter of priority or value (such as here) that ego gets its bad rap - beneficially and omnipresent as it may be.

Ego has no place when it comes to people being able to more easily organize, sort, and personalize their scrolls. If you can do it for runestones, you should be able to do it for scrolls. With the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of scrolls out there, and the everyday nature and regularity of scrolls (again, very similar to runestones), the rarity should not be similar to T4 Voln armor (there are probably more T4 Voln armor than perm scroll cutters).

I don't think the temporary versions have been sold since Frontier Days 2013.
Re: Permification request 03/20/2017 10:21 AM CDT
Personally, I would really like some kind of <whatsit>, like a papeterie ['box for the holding of paper or notes'], and a <gizmo>, like an Xacto knife, that would a) let me excise the one particular spell that I want from a scroll. (And then I can get rid of the rest of that scroll, by selling it off at the pawnshop.)
I am even totally down with each papeterie being restricted to Just That One Spell--that is to say, when you Xacto out a spell for the first time, it sets That Box to be limited to That Spell--and then carrying around seventeen papeteries.
(Because then my Spell Up By Scroll would be, "pull out the box for This Spell [with its own 15/15/15], then pull out the box for That Spell [with its own 15/15/15], then...")
Re: Permification request 03/20/2017 10:30 AM CDT
>>being able to more easily organize, sort, and personalize their scrolls.

And that's the 'value' statement. I don't handle nearly the number of scrolls that I imagine you might, V. So my value is different.

I will say this, with assertion - if one could RUMMAGE for a spell that was once inscribed but had faded (so that it could be recharged) that would be the single greatest quality-of-life change I could imagine for scrolls.

I do hate me seriously some time spent waving runestones around looking for that derned faded Arcane Barrier. Why, o' why can't I just RUMMAGE that puppy out?!

Yes, I know - I could personalize them. Like I said, my value is different. :)

Doug
Re: Permification request 03/20/2017 10:32 AM CDT
>>I am even totally down with each papeterie being restricted to Just That One Spell

I have this picture in my head of all the sorcerers of the lands strolling around in hula-skirts made of boxes. Thanks, O-robert.

Doug
Re: Permification request 03/20/2017 10:52 AM CDT

>Like I said, my value is different. :)

If you have no interest in one, that's fine, but it's not an argument that matches constancy in rules, and organizing/sorting is not about the spell that is on the scroll. I can pull a scroll out of my case and tell you the status of it (unlocked, locked).

I've done scroll work for a many people, I've worked on scrolls long enough to find bugs in the Scroll Infusion spell. Maybe I know a little more about the uses of the item and wants of the general scroll using population.
Re: Permification request 03/20/2017 11:12 AM CDT
>>Maybe I know a little more about the uses of the item and wants of the general scroll using population.

Yeah, see - now here's where we go sideways. Go back to the earlier post and pull out AND QUOTE the line where I already admitted this was a likelihood.

The runestaff scribers have been assigned a rarity value. The scroll cutters have been assigned a rarity value. These rarity values CLEARLY do not match - not matter what you or I seem to think - or we wouldn't see scads of one and trickles of the other. Set aside if they're of equal value in your mind (they must be, for you to want them to match so badly, even though I can't see why personally). What's relevant is the script value as assigned and approved.

Or, you know. . . we could at least recognize there are several egos in play here? That should lead to a good talk, too!

As to my interest - let me know when the next auction is.

Doug
Re: Permification request 03/20/2017 11:15 AM CDT

Doug- now you're arguing for the sake of arguing. You can't see the value because you don't use scrolls everyday, but a lot of us do. That should be the end of it.
Re: Permification request 03/20/2017 11:32 AM CDT
>>You can't see the value because you don't use scrolls everyday, but a lot of us do. That should be the end of it.

I'm actually not arguing - I'm trying to point something out that doesn't seem to be sticking.

But let's start with something basic to make headway. You do realize the hubris you evidence when you declare what I do and do not value, don't you?

Feel free to say you do not value my input on this matter. But at the same time contain your hubris to realize that my input is every bit as valid as yours, irrespective of my reasoning. We'll go back to getting along fine.

Good talk.

Doug
Re: Permification request 03/20/2017 11:35 AM CDT

>I'm correcting. I use scrolls everyday.

Okay

>I value them more than you do.

this is not a correction, this is an assumption. You have no idea how much I've spent on scrolls/scroll infusion, nor do I know how much you have spent. You also have no idea how pissed I get when I lock a scroll.

>And we already know the value is different

The value is different based on arbitrary GM script ownership rules vs. grouping similar items used to alter everyday magical items and assigning them the same rules.
Re: Permification request 03/20/2017 01:13 PM CDT
>>this is not a correction, this is an assumption.

Fair point, and good correction. Thank you. I only know that I spent quite a few millions on scrolls over my time. I mean, seriously - why does EVERYONE ELSE find Heroism (215) and Arcane Barrier (120) and Fash'lo'nae's Gift (1750) on scrolls BUT ME. Yeah, I know, the rarest category of spells. /whine

Let me just say I highly prize scrolls, enough to carry them along even on the Elf, for a number of different reasons.

>>GM script ownership rules vs. grouping similar items

I agree to this point - but I'm guessing since everything is reviewed and approved, it isn't quite 'arbitrary'. We see this everywhere in the game, so I also would suggest this is 'normal'. Consider, as an example, blue and white crystals and the differences in the scripts there. Both common, both consumable, both same form factor, both the same general purpose (cast a spell) - yet, one able to be charged, and one not. Not arbitrary, yet damned annoying. Just one of many such instances that exist.

Still - and let me make this unutterably clear: I would love to see another permanent scroll cutter (or few) make their way into the lands. They're exceedingly hard to pry away from their current owners, at least to the point where I feel the expense is worth their value to me personally. So yes, let's see some more. I just do not countenance the 'ego' 'arbitrary' 'and therefore should be the same' lever use.

+1 on getting more!

Doug
Re: Permification request 03/20/2017 09:30 PM CDT
When I purchased a scroll cutter a few years ago, I promptly started to cut my scrolls, only to discover that the cutter was limited. I have not found someone to recharge this item since, and as such it has remained in my locker. +1 to the OP for suggesting that they somehow be made permanent, and -1 to the bureaucracy that thinks having <adjective> <color> scroll is a problem to anyone.
Re: Permification request 03/21/2017 07:55 AM CDT
Folks, lets take a step back here.

If we make everything that was consumable permanent, we have no need to sell more of the item after everyone has one. That means a shop dies and has to be replaced. That means someone has to make the Next Best Thing.

If we don't replace that shop with something "neat" then we get flak for boring/repetitive shops. So Next Best Thing comes along and it is consumable. Then it can be permified. Then we start over again.

This kind of cycle is a pain to deal with. It is a similar situation to scripts and why they now have tiers.

So, please, kindly keep the "out of control ego" posts to yourself.

If you want to see something make a return, PLEASE ask. We love requests like that. We want you all to have fun, but we have other considerations too.

Thanks for reading.

SGM Sleken
Re: Permification request 03/21/2017 08:42 AM CDT
As mentioned, simply asking for the scroll cutters to go out is pretty much what should be happening if there's a shortage of/demand for the items at the moment. Not every limited use non-mechanical item is going to be eligible for permification (though, as mentioned, there are permanent cutters that have been won via raffles, games, etc.). But just because another GM arbitrarily decides to permify his/her items doesn't mean everyone else with a somewhat-but-not-really similar script should have to follow suit.

I had something else typed out re: script economics and the slippery slope, but Sleken summed it up well. In terms of shop economics: the last time the cutters were sold OTS was 2014, and they weren't selling well anymore. Building items that aren't in demand by players generally isn't a good use of our time. So the cutters naturally moved out of rotation. When people are politely requesting to see an item again, then generally some GM or another will want it for a shop, and it's back on the market for a few years until demands goes down again. It's a pretty regular, natural cycle for a lot of our items.

>>I would love to see another permanent scroll cutter (or few) make their way into the lands.

Sure, we can do that sometime this year.

>>I have not found someone to recharge this item since, and as such it has remained in my locker.

I've opened up the recharging to more merchants -- the restriction on who can do that was a hold-over from previous owners, and I have zero issue with removing it and allowing any willing merchant to recharge. ANALYZE should reflect the update.

~Kaikala

Re: Permification request 03/21/2017 10:22 AM CDT

What the temporary cutters doesn't really allow for is alteration of the design, because you get it for a certain amount of cuts and that's it. If you're like me and carrying 30+ scrolls around and work for other people, 1 box doesn't do much. Maybe they didn't sell well because they were overpriced at 100k per. That's 10k per cut and adds up extremely fast.

>I've opened up the recharging to more merchants -- the restriction on who can do that was a hold-over from previous owners, and I have zero issue with removing it and allowing any willing merchant to recharge. ANALYZE should reflect the update.

Who knew that this was an option in the first place? It seems that there are a lot of unlocking options that can be done at GALD merchants that no one knows about.

>the last time the cutters were sold OTS was 2014,

and people have asked for them every year, because I've had this conversation with one GM or another every year.
Re: Permification request 03/21/2017 10:25 AM CDT
I understand wanting to maintain rarity and desirability of scripts or items, but in this case, I don't think that making permanent cutters slightly more available than they currently are would reduce their demand. Most people don't request items of a consumable nature simply because they are a massive pain to stock and maintain, and if they don't last forever, I don't see much point in getting used to using them.

I think that GM Tamuz's ranger imbue boxes hit a good balance between maintaining desirability and also limiting demand to those truly interested in investing in them, as the cost to permify them or buy them permified off the shelf was significantly more than any other generic off the shelf item. I would much rather pay the cost of 20 boxes once upfront, for example, than worry about where I'm going to stuff 20 boxes in the lockers. I really appreciated him allowing the imbue boxes and runestone carvers to be permified on a one per account per year basis for Xerria's Premium benefits, which both encouraged upsells and allowed people access to this item that enables customization of commonly used magic items. It's difficult enough to find space to store and stock imbeds, scrolls, and magic items themselves. Anything that helps with sorting this inventory and that allows for customization of these items, which is one of the big highlights of GemStone, is a plus in my book.

Kaikala, I'd love if you would consider allowing a one per account per year permanence of these cutters even if you don't want them to be available on a wider basis. Most people don't have any. The off the shelf cutters only came with 10 charges, which was increased to 30 charges per as a service when they were altered by the previous owner. In contrast, the ranger imbue boxes are easy to store or even more palatable to buy as consumables because they came with 125 uses each off the shelf. I honestly see no point in wasting anyone's time altering things if they only have 10-30 charges.
Re: Permification request 03/21/2017 10:30 AM CDT

What about some variety of compromise?

As a suggestion, perhaps have a more expensive variant of the cutter that has more charges? It's not permanant, but would help the charge-to-locker-space ratio.
Re: Permification request 03/21/2017 03:04 PM CDT
Awesome, thanks.
Re: Permification request 03/25/2017 05:42 PM CDT
I'll take a look at how things unfold with releases for the year and consider some of the suggestions put forth.

Recharging: to answer when that became possible -- it's always been, as far as I know (and when I added the ANALYZE a few years back, I definitely made sure that was included in the read-out); the issue being that who could do the recharging was restricted.

Other recharging things: I updated the recharge bit a little bit more this morning so that if a merchant recharges for you, it's 100 charges in one shot. Recharging your non-perma cutter just caps out at ~250 charges at any one time is where you get limited is all.

~Kaikala

Re: Permification request 03/25/2017 05:57 PM CDT
>Other recharging things: I updated the recharge bit a little bit more this morning so that if a merchant recharges for you, it's 100 charges in one shot. Recharging your non-perma cutter just caps out at ~250 charges at any one time is where you get limited is all.

This is fantastic. Thank you for the quality of life update!
Re: Permification request 03/25/2017 06:38 PM CDT
>I'll take a look at how things unfold with releases for the year and consider some of the suggestions put forth.

>Recharging: to answer when that became possible -- it's always been, as far as I know (and when I added the ANALYZE a few years back, I definitely made sure that was included in the read-out); the issue being that who could do the recharging was restricted.

>Other recharging things: I updated the recharge bit a little bit more this morning so that if a merchant recharges for you, it's 100 charges in one shot. Recharging your non-perma cutter just caps out at ~250 charges at any one time is where you get limited is all.

Awesome, thank you, that makes a big difference.

With regards to the analyze, I'm not so sure about that. This is from 10/21/15, well within a few years:
The creator has also provided the following information:
As you look over the box, you realize that it would be quite easy for any merchant to work on the aesthetics of the item, so long as it remains a box of some kind that can reasonably fit a scroll and the cutting mechanism in it (which cannot be removed).
You also get the distinct impression that any merchant can change the design that the box makes on scrolls. Generally, such designs might include the color, texture, shape, and general adornment (such as red-stamped or black-inked). Thus, if the merchant is willing, he or she can customize the design of the article, adjective, and/or long description of the scroll that you wish to produce.
Currently, you are able to put a magical scroll in the box and PUSH it to cut the scroll. You can also TURN the box to change how certain scroll types are cut. LOOK at it to get an idea of what the design will come out like, bearing in mind that the noun will always be the same noun that you put into the box.

It is very clear on being alterable, but says nothing about recharging. I always threw the empties out.
Re: Permification request 03/25/2017 06:44 PM CDT
Here I thought that they were crumbly so I never used the last charge.
Re: Permification request 04/04/2017 07:08 PM CDT
Meant to come back to this thread sooner, sorry for the wait.

Re: the analyze/recharging info --> you're absolutely correct. I missed when looking through the notes that the analyze was updated one other time after the overhaul rather than just one time total (so the recharge info must have been added on that go-round, 11/25/2015).

I got a request to confirm whether or not scroll cutters are crumbly or not (answering here since I assume others will want to know): no, they are not crumbly. They're not set up like the imbue boxes or runestone carvers in that sense; when the last charge is used up on a scroll cutter, the box will not disappear -- it'll just be useless until recharged. If anyone wants that info added into the analyze, let me know.

~Kaikala