ghillie suit/cloak alterations. 07/28/2016 03:20 PM CDT

I was curious if the word ghillie could be used for crafting into a cloak or robe with a show to resemble the ghillie suits used by hunters and snipers and marksman. The term has been around since I believe 1918 as it refers to the camouflaging characteristic, but that doesn't mean it will fly. Thought I would post here first before wasting someone's time through QA/QC when the scroll is submitted.
Re: ghillie suit/cloak alterations. 07/28/2016 03:28 PM CDT
Ghillie is also the name for the job, in Scotland, of being the groundsman/hunter/jaeger [from Germany/Switzerland] for the Lord of the Manor.

There's a good chance it's hundreds of years older, though current usage probably refers almost entirely to the camo cloaks.
Re: ghillie suit/cloak alterations. 07/28/2016 10:28 PM CDT
From what it sounds like it references too modern a term. "Ghillie brogues", which is a type of shoe, doesn't work since you can just use "brogues" by itself and it still works. I did do some research on it from our end, though, and something similar has been asked and denied. If GM Kaikala happens to pass through and says "yes", though, then it's definitely fine. She's got more authority on the subject matter than I.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: ghillie suit/cloak alterations. 07/29/2016 11:49 AM CDT

Would it still be acceptable in the show to describe a ghillie suit as they are fashioned? Cloth strips of various colors similar to the desired environment to offer the look and debris, without directly saying Ghillie at any point? I feel like it would not be an illogical leap for anyone who hunts from hiding to want to blend into their surroundings, and wearing clothing that complimented the local hunting environment would not be far fetched.
Re: ghillie suit/cloak alterations. 07/29/2016 11:55 AM CDT
It seems to me that a visually similar garment would surely exist, particularly among the Sylvans, Forest Gnomes, or possibly Ardenai elves.

_ _ _
Retser catches your eye, smiles slowly, and begins flirting with you.
Re: ghillie suit/cloak alterations. 07/29/2016 01:14 PM CDT
I do feel visually similar is always better. For years I've always heard the saying, "Describe it, not say it." and that fits in perfectly with that saying. Especially if you are doing a show alteration.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: ghillie suit/cloak alterations. 07/29/2016 01:20 PM CDT
Certainly "a vest made with strips of forest-hued fabrics" would certainly be more apt to pass than ghillie suit!

~Just Jainna
Re: ghillie suit/cloak alterations. 07/31/2016 05:48 AM CDT
>Ghillie is also the name for the job, in Scotland, of being the groundsman/hunter/jaeger [from Germany/Switzerland] for the Lord of the Manor.
>There's a good chance it's hundreds of years older, though current usage probably refers almost entirely to the camo cloaks.

Its a Scots Gaelic term for "boy". (as in "Boy, clean my shoes!") Since the English Lords brought English servants with them to clean their shoes, but needed a local guide, gille became anglicised as Ghillie, for the particular job that only a Scottish servant could do.