Wands 10/14/2016 11:32 PM CDT
Hello. On my empath I am training in magic item use so I can use wands. I have a couple of questions if anyone could help answer them.

First question: Is there a npc wand shop anywhere? Even if it's stupid expensive, I'm just curious to know if there's a shop with an endless supply of wands to get if you had the money. Preferably in the Landing would be nice, but if it's elsewhere I'll make the trek to get there. I was searching the web and saw an old post in 2009 of an npc named Krylonna. Is that still around? If so, where?

Second question: I'm only single training in magic item use. Mainly as part of my 8 ranks in magic stuff so I can get a runestaff rank each level for just in case and for the benefit of the magic item use. Anyone know how many ranks in magic item use you need for an empath to use a golden wand almost all the time? My plan is to take my 2x per level spell aiming ranks and make some good use out of wands to help me hunt when I'm older. I've heard mana can be an issue so wands are to help with that too.

Third question: I heard that when defending with a runestaff using a wand in the left hand doesn't count against you. Is that true? Would it be better for me to runestaff and wand stuff to fight at older levels, or would it be better to use a wand and shield combo. I'm trained in both at 1x per level.

Thanks for listening to me. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you very much.
Re: Wands 10/15/2016 02:21 AM CDT
This page may be of some help: https://gswiki.play.net/Wand

And this one: https://gswiki.play.net/Magic_Item_Use

Oh! Found this one, too: https://gswiki.play.net/Magical_Item_Guide

Beyond those links, many of the "common" wands (aquamarine, gold, crystal, blue, iron, and silver) can be bought at your local alchemist shop in any major city/town. People also often sell their unneeded magical items to local pawnshops after hunting. These items will show up on various tables in the shops backroom. Usually there's a door or such that leads to another part of the pawnshop where you can buy them off the tables. Unlike regular shops to be able to buy them you'll want to GET <ITEM> and it'll tell you the price, then you just BUY <ITEM>.

I'm sure more players will also post in here to give even more details and help. It's way past my bedtime tonight.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Wands 10/15/2016 08:04 AM CDT
>First question: Is there a npc wand shop anywhere? Even if it's stupid expensive, I'm just curious to know if there's a shop with an endless supply of wands to get if you had the money.

The NPC alchemist shops normally include wands in their stock, but it may not be the type you particularly want.
Pawnshops are cheaper, and since most people pawn wands they find in loot, they usually have wands in stock. When you are pawning other loot, buy a wand or three.
Player alchemists may have wands for sale in player shops, including spells that are not normally available by other means. Use something such as https://ps.lichproject.org/items to search for them.

>Second question: I'm only single training in magic item use. Mainly as part of my 8 ranks in magic stuff so I can get a runestaff rank each level for just in case and for the benefit of the magic item use. Anyone know how many ranks in magic item use you need for an empath to use a golden wand almost all the time? My plan is to take my 2x per level spell aiming ranks and make some good use out of wands to help me hunt when I'm older. I've heard mana can be an issue so wands are to help with that too.

Double train until you have enough. Its far more important than a fractional extra point of DS from your runestaff. At low level most of your runestaff DS comes from holding the runestaff.
Its probably around 20 ranks, I reckoned on 30 for everything and blue/crystal are harder. If you want reliable use when laden with loot, you'll need rather more, I actually double trained till I got to 40 ranks to cover for this.

It makes very little difference whether you have 7, or 8 or 9 runestaff ranks, 8 is a tie point in the comparison with THW training, not a key breakpoint. At level 80 you might notice the difference between 560 and 720 ranks, but at level 10 you won't notice the difference between 70 and 90. Get the magic skills you need and your runestaff defense will look after itself.

>Third question: I heard that when defending with a runestaff using a wand in the left hand doesn't count against you. Is that true? Would it be better for me to runestaff and wand stuff to fight at older levels, or would it be better to use a wand and shield combo. I'm trained in both at 1x per level.

Unless you have RP reasons for the shield, you'd be better to untrain it and use the points to double MIU. You can get better DS using a shield, but it costs you a lot of training points that can be put to good use elsewhere. While a wand doesn't get in the way of runestaff defense, it does prevent you using brawl or a weapon skill for defense with your shield (not that important at low level, but eventually having a weapon or brawling does become relevant to getting superior defense from shield)

Mana is tightest at low levels, its now that you want to be making the heaviest use of wands, not something that you want to wait till level 40 to set up.

You can hold scrolls or wands in your left hand and still get full defensive benefit from the runestaff in your right hand.
Re: Wands 10/15/2016 10:18 AM CDT
> Anyone know how many ranks in magic item use you need for an empath to use a golden wand almost all the time?

It depends on your stats and whether or not you're encumbered. Assuming you're trained for your armor, not encumbered, and "eh" stats for a low-level empath you'll want around 120 magic item use bonus to almost always successfully wave the wand. That's 30 ranks.

Gold wands are harder for you to use because they hold a wizard spell, and empath magic is very different from wizard magic.
Re: Wands 10/15/2016 07:04 PM CDT
"look on mag[ic] table" is what I do when I get in there.

Since my Bard is a heavy user of Unravel, I stay on the lookout for blue and crystal wands all the time; most of the ones that get sold have never been used--they will cost around 2k for blue, and around 2.4k for crystal--which means that a friendly Mage can use Duplicate/918 on them, and I wind up with TWO wands.
If you find blue & crystal wands only costing about 700 or 1000 silvers, those have been used before and/or Duplicated, so that's why they cost less. You will get fewer waves out of them, and if you try to Duplicate an already-Duped one, the one that you have will 'poof' and you wind up with nothing.
Re: Wands 10/17/2016 06:31 AM CDT
>"look on mag[ic] table" is what I do when I get in there.

Just to note, around half the towns use "arcane table" instead ('look on arc tab'). Always drives me nuts when I'm searching around for scrolls...!
Re: Wands 10/17/2016 09:10 AM CDT
When my wizard was starting out, I highlighted the wands I wanted to keep, had aliases for use with lich and ;go2 setup to go to each pawnshop sales room, and a script that would check the contents of the tables.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Wands 10/27/2016 01:20 AM CDT
Note that the Alchemist shop in the Landing is usually inaccessible right now, due to rioting in the streets and street barricades going up. I won't go into why; it's due to an ongoing game plot line which, IMO, has gone on for far too long, is much too convoluted to even follow, and has now degenerated into just a damned annoyance.
Re: Wands 10/27/2016 01:39 AM CDT
>it's due to an ongoing game plot line which, IMO, has gone on for far too long, is much too convoluted to even follow, and has now degenerated into just a damned annoyance.

Thank you. I could not agree more.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Wands 10/27/2016 08:17 AM CDT
Actually, after the big round of fighting (last weekend?) the barricades shifted, so now the south side of town was blockaded but the Alchemist was accessible again.
My sales-Bard was able to go over and clean out his backpack of stuff ever since this past weekend some time, but turning South just after coming back over the bridge he was blocked, and hand to continue further west (maybe to Banker's Square?) before heading down to South Ring Road and continuing over to the jeweler.

So, basically, that one shop was closed off for about a week.
Re: Wands 10/27/2016 10:07 AM CDT
The barricading of the alchemist shop last like a whole week. It's been over for almost twice that long now.

Sometimes I think people forget that Gemstone is a primarily a role-playing game. People getting annoyed at storylines boggles my mind. This isn't just a monster-killing and silver-acquiring simulator. This is a full living and breathing role-laying world where crap is gonna happen sometimes as part of storylines. It always has and it always will. Ever been to Banker's Square? Jeez.
Re: Wands 10/27/2016 12:43 PM CDT
I think it's awesome things have gotten stretched out this long (likely because of EB, but hey). Really, is anyone's game experienced threatened here?