Combat Maneuvers 08/26/2016 10:38 PM CDT
I'm a warrior on a free account and want some advice on combat maneuvers. I'm looking for a good knockdown combat maneuver. I'm trying out bull rush. Against like ants, gnomes, and fire salamanders I seem to have halfway decent success, but when I tried to fight lesser orcs at level 3, I had very little success. Should I stick with bull rush and rank it up and hope it gets better, or are there better combat maneuvers I can learn? I didn't want to do tackle because I heard tackle can leave you prone on a miss, but if it's better than bull rush I'll use it. How's trip? I use polearms so that's viable too. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you. Also, I'm a giantman, do I get a bonus from bull rush from being so big? Thanks.
Re: Combat Maneuvers 08/26/2016 10:45 PM CDT
I don't know enough about CM as a warrior to be solid in my advice.

But if you haven't checked out this resource, I'd really encourage you to.

>>https://gswiki.play.net/Combat_Maneuvers

Doug
Re: Combat Maneuvers 08/26/2016 11:11 PM CDT
Bullrush is ok, more ranks will make noticeable difference in your luck with it. However, charge is a better choice than bullrush in most circumstances. It is a little slower but you also get Wspec and bonding bonuses to it (in addition to more ranks). It also gives the creature more RT and hurts them more than bullrush can.

Why, let the stricken deer go weep, The hart ungallèd play.
For some must watch while some must sleep. So runs the world away.
AIM: GS4Menos
Re: Combat Maneuvers 08/26/2016 11:22 PM CDT
I would say that most offensive Combat Maneuvers aren't super reliable until you have at least 3 ranks in them. 5 is ideal, especially if you're hunting things higher level than you.

>Should I stick with bull rush and rank it up and hope it gets better, or are there better combat maneuvers I can learn? I didn't want to do tackle because I heard tackle can leave you prone on a miss, but if it's better than bull rush I'll use it.

They're a tradeoff.

Bull rush: 5 RT, and I don't think it prones you on a miss. Only gives the target RT on a minor success, not knockdown.

Tackle: 7 RT, always knocks down, even with a 101 endroll. You'll stay standing on an average miss but very bad misses will make you fall to your knees (negative rolls, either from a bad open roll or from trying to tackle someone/something way more talented than you).

>Also, I'm a giantman, do I get a bonus from bull rush from being so big? Thanks.

I believe so. You definitely do for tackle.

>How's trip? I use polearms so that's viable too.

Trip is pretty similar to Bull Rush. Also 5 RT, also only gives RT on a minor success. Does better damage than bull rush. You won't get a bonus for being a giant, but you will once you train in Weapon Specialization and Weapon Bonding. If your weapon flares, it can flare on a trip. (If your armor flares, it can flare on a bull rush/tackle, but flaring armor is rarer than a flaring weapon.)

Charge is the other polearm knockdown maneuver. Trip : Bull Rush :: Charge : Tackle. 7 RT, can prone you on a really bad roll (but doesn't on an average miss). Always does some kind of knockdown, but I think it can knock people into a sitting position sometimes. Does the best damage by far and gives the most RT out of all 4 maneuvers. Same size/weapon tradeoff as Trip.

The big question is if you want to spend 5 seconds or 7 on your knockdown. If it's 7, I'd go charge. If it's 5, I don't have enough experience comparing the two to tell you. I'd probably go bull rush for the size bonus unless I had a flaring weapon, in which case I'd try trip. Once I maxed bonding many many levels down the line, I might switch to trip.

Given the choice of all 4, I'd probably choose Charge, since I find it the most fun.
Re: Combat Maneuvers 08/26/2016 11:57 PM CDT
Cmans, as mentioned, need at least 3 ranks of skill to work decently. Bull rush depends on body mass to knock down an opponent. Good for Giantkin warriors, bad for Halflings. You do get to learn tackle in the warrior guild. Also, if you are the fellow who is using polearms, I'd suggest you learn Charge. It's a long way off, but there's a capped hunting ground where one of the inhabitants uses charge to great effect. The best defense against a CMan is to actually know that maneuver.
Re: Combat Maneuvers 08/27/2016 12:17 AM CDT
Here is an example of charge at work. Kiramon worker is level 40, defender is 48. My gal here is level 42, 4 ranks of charge and fully bonded to her weapon. Note that bonding to a weapon gives you a bonus when using weapon based CMans. If you look at the die rolls, she can't fail here except on a really bad fumble. Note also that lances, while they hit tremendously hard, are a slow weapon. I have a naginata also (not bonded, of course), and it's 1 second faster.

>s
[Darkstone, Dungeon]
Timbers are set up every few feet near this corner, propping up the ceiling. Large chunks of stone are piled around next to the walls, and corresponding gaps in the ceiling show where they came from. A couple of timbers lie fallen on the floor, and you wonder just how steady the roof might be without their support. You also see a kiramon defender, the Leafiara disk, a kiramon worker that appears rather calm and an iron door.
Obvious exits: north, west
>targ def
You are now targeting a kiramon defender.
>
A kiramon defender rouses its fellow kiramon worker!
The calmed look leaves a kiramon worker.
>stance off
You are now in an offensive stance.
>cman charge
You rush forward at a kiramon defender with your vultite lance and attempt a charge!
[Roll result: 172 (open d100: 61) Bonus: 24]
Lucky charge and a kiramon defender is sent crashing to the ground!
... 10 points of damage!
Strike pierces upper arm!
The kiramon defender is stunned!
Roundtime: 7 sec.
R>
A kiramon worker claws at you!
You evade the attack by a hair!
R>at
You thrust with a skull grafted vultite lance at a kiramon defender!
AS: +330 vs DS: +122 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +81 = +322
... and hit for 139 points of damage!
Well aimed strike shatters bone in left arm!
Roundtime: 6 sec.
R>at
AS: +330 vs DS: +114 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +27 = +276
... and hit for 142 points of damage!
Right hip pulped, severing the leg.
R>
AS: +221 vs DS: +271 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +45 = +20
A clean miss.
The worker chitters and waves its pincers wildly.
R>at
AS: +330 vs DS: +55 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +59 = +367
... and hit for 159 points of damage!
Impressive shot shatters wrist!
The kiramon defender clicks one last time and dies.
R>
AS: +221 vs DS: +271 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +30 = +5
A clean miss.
The worker clicks once, then squeaks oddly.
R>cman charge
You rush forward at a kiramon worker with your vultite lance and attempt a charge!
[Roll result: 166 (open d100: 42) Bonus: 24]
Terrific charge and a kiramon worker is sent crashing to the ground!
... 10 points of damage!
Strike pierces thigh!
The kiramon worker is stunned!
Roundtime: 7 sec.
R>at
You thrust with a skull grafted vultite lance at a kiramon worker!
AS: +330 vs DS: +92 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +10 = +281
... and hit for 140 points of damage!
Awesome shot skewers skull! The kiramon worker blinks once and falls quite dead!
The kiramon worker clicks one last time and dies.
Re: Combat Maneuvers 08/27/2016 12:40 AM CDT
For comparison, here is an example of bull rush. This is a giantkin warrior of near maximum weight, so you can expect good results. Also, I was on the way to moaning spirits, so I'm underhunting a bit here. Archies are level 20, she is level 28. Note that CMan results are quite stance dependent. I included one bullrush attempt from defensive stance; you can see that the results are totally awful.

>n
[Under Crypt, Tunnels]
These tunnels are dank and chill, your breath forms clouds of steam in front of you as you walk along. You also see an arch wight and an arch wight.
Obvious exits: north, east, south
>stance off
>
An arch wight chants an evil incantation.
>
An arch wight swings a falchion at you!
AS: +156 vs DS: +122 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +4 = +77
A clean miss.
>
An arch wight gestures at you!
The ground beneath your feet begins to boil violently!
The ground then quickly cools.
>cman bull
[Roll result: 200 (open d100: 87) Bonus: 10]
You rush towards an arch wight and connect with a shoulder check!
You manage to knock an arch wight flat on its back! 20 hits!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
R>
R>at
You swing a spiked-head vultite maul at an arch wight!
AS: +265 vs DS: +57 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +74 = +324
... and hit for 92 points of damage!
Whoosh! Several ribs driven into lungs.
R>
You feel fully energetic again.
R>
The arch wight's armor prevents the spell from working.
R>at
>
AS: +265 vs DS: +54 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +63 = +316
... and hit for 80 points of damage!
Respectable shot to the back.
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the arch wight's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
The arch wight screams evilly one last time and goes still.
R>
R>at
With no room to spare, the arch wight manages to parry the blow with its falchion!
R>
CS: +123 - TD: +106 + CvA: -18 + d100: +83 == +82
Warded off!
R>cman bull
[Roll result: 177 (open d100: 65) Bonus: 10]
You manage to knock an arch wight flat on its back! 15 hits!
>at
AS: +265 vs DS: +58 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +68 = +317
... and hit for 85 points of damage!
You hear several snaps as the arch wight's neck is broken in several places.
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the arch wight's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
>
You feel your extra strength departing.
>stance def
You are now in a defensive stance.
>
A soft feeling of serenity touches your mind, providing you with a clearer understanding of recent events.
[Use the LUMNIS verb to see your Gift of Lumnis options.]
You feel fully energetic again.
>
An arch wight just arrived.
>cman bull
[Roll result: -4 (open d100: -24) Bonus: 10]
You rush towards an arch wight, only to completely miss it!
R>
R>stance off
>
CS: +123 - TD: +106 + CvA: -18 + d100: +43 == +42
Warded off!
>cman bull
[Roll result: 167 (open d100: 57) Bonus: 10]
You manage to knock an arch wight flat on its back! 13 hits!
R>at
AS: +250 vs DS: +64 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +9 = +237
... and hit for 61 points of damage!
Skull cracks in several places.
R>at
AS: +250 vs DS: +55 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +60 = +297
... and hit for 64 points of damage!
Finger ripped away from right hand.
R>
An arch wight struggles to rise but fails in the attempt.
R>at
AS: +250 vs DS: +50 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +12 = +254
... and hit for 66 points of damage!
Whoosh! Several ribs driven into lungs.
Re: Combat Maneuvers 08/27/2016 12:58 AM CDT
>You do get to learn tackle in the warrior guild.

F2P doesn't have access to the guild system.
Re: Combat Maneuvers 08/27/2016 04:55 AM CDT
The best manoever for a lance user is charge (if you don't like charge, you won't like a lance)

The best knockdown depends on the reason you have for knocking the critter down in the first place.
Re: Combat Maneuvers 08/27/2016 01:53 PM CDT
>(if you don't like charge, you won't like a lance)

What? No. This is completely false. Please don't tell new/returning players that your way is the only way to play the game.

Lances are incredibly devastating without charge. They hit like the proverbial brick outhouse. Charge is fun, but not required.

Personally, I find charge more useful with any other polearm: the lighter ones want a knockdown to set them up. Especially in the F2P level range, a lance should be ruinous to creatures even when they're standing.

If you're still in your first 30 days, you can change CMAN skills with no penalty. Experiment to see what you like. If you're not, log into the test server, experiment, and see what you like.
Re: Combat Maneuvers 08/27/2016 08:14 PM CDT
Thank you everyone for the info. I liked the info on tackle that was given. The always knockdown on a 101 endroll is VERY appealing. I just need something simple that'll knock down so that I can kill it.

I never thought about charge to use for polearms. That sounds fun, but like bull rush, do you need at least rank 3 to be good at it on higher stuff. I think for right now I'm going to do tackle, but when I get higher and can get high ranks in charge I might play with that.

Thanks for all the info.
Re: Combat Maneuvers 08/27/2016 09:41 PM CDT
>(if you don't like charge, you won't like a lance)

>What? No. This is completely false. Please don't tell new/returning players that your way is the only way to play the game.

I agree on this. My lance-using warrior is level 68 and rarely uses charge, and he is a complete tank, currently rolling through fire mages.

Now, trip, on the other hand, I have used often. I love trip.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Combat Maneuvers 08/29/2016 11:29 AM CDT
>What? No. This is completely false. Please don't tell new/returning players that your way is the only way to play the game.

Charge is extra expense for extra effect, just like a lance is.

You may not need charge because the lance is always heavy enough, but if you like the flavor of heavy slow stuff, you'll like both. I like neither, but then again I'm not trying to force my way of playing on you.
Re: Combat Maneuvers 08/31/2016 06:57 AM CDT
Having been on the receiving end of some of these, I fear CHARGE the most. Citadel guardsmen use it, and while it is not typically fatal it often means the end of a hunt.

I couldn't say I hate being charged even within a factor of ten of how much I hate being shield bashed, but I've found it to be pretty nasty.

Using the reverse logic, then, I can support people saying you should favor charge out of these options.
Re: Combat Maneuvers 08/31/2016 02:43 PM CDT
>Now, trip, on the other hand, I have used often. I love trip.

Trip is pretty good.

You can use TRIP all on its own without training in CMAN. Once you have 20 ranks of Polearm and use of a 2-handed polearm OR 20 ranks in THW and use a quarterstaff, you can TRIP.
OR
You need 15 ranks of TWH or Polearm + 1 rank of CMAN TRIP to be able to trip.

Without training in the CMAN TRIP, the basic TRIP is only really useful against creatures that are a good few levels lower than you. TRIP is also less useful against creatures that have more than 2 legs (centaurs, ants and spiders for example).

With 3 ranks you should have decent attempts to putting your target in a sitting position or outright on its back. Also, if your weapon flares, you will sometimes that a flare on a successful contact, even if the target doesn't get knocked down.

Here's a clip of a flare when using TRIP:

>trip og
[Roll result: 129 (open d100: 38) Bonus: 1]
With a fluid whirl, you plant a perfect maoral-shafted zorchar quarterstaff firmly into the ground near a forest ogre and jerk the weapon sharply sideways.
Quick strike is rewarded with a forest ogre stumbling to the ground!
... 7 points of damage!
Torn muscle in the forest ogre's left leg!
Your zorchar quarterstaff emits a searing bolt of lightning!
... 10 points of damage!
Electric shot gives the forest ogre a really bad cramp.
The forest ogre is stunned!

-Drumpel