Useless or useful? 05/31/2011 09:47 AM CDT
I found this in a cave troll box in Platinum this morning. I just reactivated my account after four years+, so I don't know how this stacks up with what's available in the treasure system.

---

The first thing that strikes you about the aventail is the weight, which is about 3 pounds. In your best estimation, it's worth about 250,000 silvers. You can also tell that there is some type of metal in the structure of the mithglin aventail.

You sense a faint aura of magic around the mithglin aventail. From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the aventail is as some type of defensive garment. Also, it seems to have some sort of enhancive properties.

It has a bonus of +15 from a normal aventail, and the way it vibrates in tune with your voice tells you that it serves some type of defensive purpose, different from that of normal armor.

The aventail resonates with your voice, indicating that it enhances its owner in the following ways:
It provides a bonus to Sorcerous Lore - Demonology Ranks.
This enhancement may not be used by adventurers who have not trained 4 times.
It provides a bonus to Mana Recovery.
This enhancement may not be used by adventurers who have not trained 2 times.
You think that you could probably find out something more about the aventail's enhancive properties if you tried.

The magical harmonics reveal that the neck is better protected when wearing the mithglin aventail.

The aventail resonates with your voice, indicating that it enhances its owner in the following ways:
It provides a bonus of 1 to Sorcerous Lore - Demonology Ranks.
This enhancement may not be used by adventurers who have not trained 4 times.
It provides a bonus of 1 to Mana Recovery.
This enhancement may not be used by adventurers who have not trained 2 times.
The aventail looks to have a huge number of charges remaining.

You sense that the mithglin aventail will persist after its last enhancive charge has been expended.
Re: Useless or useful? 05/31/2011 10:20 AM CDT
Unfortunately, it doesn't stand up too well to some of the items found these days.

Things to watch out for -- it uses Ranks instead of Bonus (Demonology Ranks). Bonus is generally preferred in top end items, because they're 'cheaper' to recharge.

The bonus is low. This varies by skill / ability, but in general folks really start getting excited about items that are +4 or greater. Spirit recovery and Aura stat / bonus are exceptions.

The item itself is metal armor, loaded with magical bonus structures. This is happening way too frequently for my tastes -- anyone know a warrior or rogue with training in Demonology?! The detractor here is most of your pure spell casters wouldn't wear an aventail, simply due to the increased spell hindrance.

It does have the advantage that it isn't crumbly -- persistent items are valued greatly.

If you sell it to the pawnshop, you'll get a 35K note. Unfortunately, I suspect you'll not get much more interest from the player base.

Watch for it, though -- very cool (multi-million silver cool) items are dropping.

Doug
Re: Useless or useful? 05/31/2011 10:22 AM CDT
Neckworn slots are pretty valuable, as some of the best enhancives come in that form. Add to that if a sorcerer is wearing full leathers, this aventail will bump them up to Double leather hindrance/etc, or worse, if wearing LBP, up to Brig penalties.

My suggestion is to start bidding at 36k, one thousand above the pawnshop.

"Halflings speak Halfling & Common. They don't speak in dog whistle." - GM Thandiwe
Re: Useless or useful? 05/31/2011 01:09 PM CDT
An aventail can be either leather or metal. Depends on what it is used with. If you are a sorcerer who wears double leather armor anyway, there will be no ill effects from wearing this item; he aventail will conform to being soft leather.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Useless or useful? 05/31/2011 01:15 PM CDT
It will, but it will still bump them up into the highest AsG group. You can be in light leather, wear an aventail, and be in the equivalent double leathers.

>Armor accessories can increase the effective ASG of your armor. That is, if you wear double chain, which covers torso and arms, and also wear a helmet and leg greaves, you will receive the same amount of coverage exactly as if you were wearing a chain hauberk.

>There are a wide variety of accessories which may provide head coverage, neck coverage or both. Strictly speaking, the material used to create head and neck armor does not affect an adventurer's statistics. Adventurers may find head and neck coverage in the form of helms, coifs and aventails, among others.

"Halflings speak Halfling & Common. They don't speak in dog whistle." - GM Thandiwe