The Great Ranger Training Experiment - Are Multiple Weapon Types Viable? 06/23/2018 10:28 AM CDT
Back in GS3, just as we first released ranged weapons, I was able to train Erek as a 3x Stalk/Hide (you could do that back then) ambushing sniper, but ALSO still be able to double OHE, Shield, and of course ranged weapons. At the same time, I was able to maintain enough Arcane Runes, and MIU to use whatever magic items or scrolls I wished, AND have enough Survival and Climbing that I needed, AND be 1x in spells with a few ranks of mana control thrown in. Granted, this was before the days of Lores, any useful CMANs for ranged, and also a spell list in which 630 was not implemented.

What I am thinking about is to determine if it's possible to find a training path that would allow for two choices in weapons, both of which that would be viable, so Ranged + Sword/Board, or Ranged + Two Weapon Combat, or even possibly Ranged + Two Handed Weapons (based on whichever actually was possible based on training points).

While I THINK it might be possible, the trick is in determining what all else (training wise) would I have to give up without gimping myself. Has anyone tried this Pre-Cap, or is it only doable post-cap?
Re: The Great Ranger Training Experiment - Are Multiple Weapon Types Viable? 06/23/2018 10:36 AM CDT
Test server is open, give it a whirl.

"Healme" if you die.
Re: The Great Ranger Training Experiment - Are Multiple Weapon Types Viable? 06/23/2018 10:58 AM CDT
I have tried Archer + OHE/Shield, but only from 1st through mid-20's levels. Then I found myself gradually focusing more exclusively on an Archer build. It works (at least as far as I took it), and it sure was fun to take out Axe/Shield for a change of pace, but I'm not sure how it would do during the mid-levels. I suspect it would be rough.

Avaia, player of
Re: The Great Ranger Training Experiment - Are Multiple Weapon Types Viable? 06/23/2018 11:59 AM CDT
Ah I forgot about the test server. Is there an unlimited fixskill over there I hope?
Re: The Great Ranger Training Experiment - Are Multiple Weapon Types Viable? 06/23/2018 12:06 PM CDT
/healme resets everything, if I recall correctly.

Including FixSkill

Doug
Re: The Great Ranger Training Experiment - Are Multiple Weapon Types Viable? 06/24/2018 12:20 AM CDT
<AND have enough Survival and Climbing that I needed>

That's quite a feat considering Survival didn't exist as a skill in GS3 and there wasn't anything similar to it.

<AND be 1x in spells with a few ranks of mana control thrown in.>

Mana Controls didn't exist until GS4 either. There was a skill called Mana Sharing you might be thinking of, though.

I'd provide a link to the source I used to confirm my memories, but I still haven't mastered linking to hard copies I printed out in the 90's....

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: The Great Ranger Training Experiment - Are Multiple Weapon Types Viable? 06/24/2018 06:24 AM CDT
Survival and Climbing should read SWIMMING and Climbing, and yes I meant mana share.

I don't have the best memory any more, but I do remember what the heck I could train, so let's not take a walk down memory lane together ok?
Sending Mana 06/24/2018 09:34 AM CDT

So I vaguely remember Clunk had to train something to send mana way back when, and that he didn't have to train any skill to actually harness mana.

Nowadays, of course, there are skills for both, plus skills for the various controls of all the types of mana.

I always wonder if folks caught on that his facial expressions (wrinkling his nose, crossing his eyes, and sneezing) when attending a wizard's enchanting session meant that he was infusing mana into the nearest mana pool.

Clunk still sneezes, but not as often as when he was younger.

Comments about elves trimming nose hair also factored into Clunk's understanding of mana, since elves were far for likely to be magically "gifted" than dwarves.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Sending Mana 06/24/2018 02:51 PM CDT
You can do multiple weapon styles, especially ranged/UAC, which is highly complimentary, but you usually end up being ok at two things rather than great at one. Post-cap, though, multiple styles are easier. Nuadjha's currently fully trained in OHE/TWC, Ranged, and UAC.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Sending Mana 06/24/2018 10:20 PM CDT
Being able to rely on the Arms realm folks (who got free mana just for making levels) as batteries (willing [i.e. they trained in Channeling to send mana] or note [Leech or Unravel targets]) while hunting was great.

However, I think most spellcasters feel that the ability for them to--eventually, with enough training--take their own selves up to five mana per level is even better, as a trade-off.

(And heck, some of those crazies over there still do get mana and learn how to move it. Just not as often, is all.)