Armor 03/30/2014 10:02 AM CDT
What lvl of armor should a snipping ranger stop at? I have a set of Fussion 7x brig that fully unlocked and as a prem can get perm Hcp but I also have a set of fussion aug chain that 5x that I could take to 7x and hold off and not HCP the brig and get this one done. The brig I can add ranger rest to . Which is the best way to go Im finally get to a spot where I find myself getting hit way to easily in open hunting. Im to slow on the key board to use haste inbedables and I cant script to save my self. The RP for this guy is a Master Fletcher thats a sniper called OSOK One Shot One Kill. I want to stick to the RP might need to start using more magic while hunting. Im not looking for the best mechanic charter but one that can hunt and still stick to his RP. What are you gurus thoughts
Re: Armor 03/30/2014 12:17 PM CDT
Personally I believe all ranged rangers should get into chain armor. Why? Because broken arms mean you can't shoot and you get the nice CvA that chain has over hardened leather.

I originally had my ranger as a sniping ranger until he kept getting pulled out of hiding. I moved from brig to a nice set of augmented chain and I have never looked back.

That being said, my question to you is the following. Besides sniping, you mentioned you may want to become more magical. Being fully trained in your armor your hindrance in Brig will be 6% and with Augmented Chain it will be 9%. What hindrance will you be able to tolerate? I know Droit casts a lot and he is in augmented chain. I will cast mass calm when I do bandits. My Sorcerer wears Doubles and his hindrance is 2%. Sometimes even 2% acts like 100% in game.

I don't use scripts when I hunt. I too can't type fast enough or be typo free.

So...

I have setup up macros for my game play.

get 1 arrow from my quiver\rstance off\rfire\r
aim left eye\r
aim right eye\r
gather wooden arrow\rput arrow in my arrows in my quiver\rstance def\r

Macros for haste amulets

open my sack\rget amulet from my sack\rwear my amulet\r
rub my amulet\r

Peace
Zhelas

(Lord Paladin walks around Droit examining his equipment.)
Lord Paladin: How does he....How does he work?
Re: Armor 03/30/2014 02:44 PM CDT
Even though pup is a ohe and board ambusher I will give my opinion from a ranger in general. He was in brig up to mid 80s. Had very little issues overall until the last year. In came bowels more hunting warcamps and the storyline invasions. The crit hits were coming more and more. I started overtaining armor (I was 1x at that point) and got to the overtain tier 1 for haubek. While the armor spell hinderance sucks I still do not find it disabling. I still heavily rely on thorns and vines. The extra protection more then makes up for the spell hindrance. I doubt that any time soon I will go back to brig.
Re: Armor 03/30/2014 07:27 PM CDT
Hauberk Hauberk Hauberk. 'Nuff said I reckon

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Re: Armor 03/30/2014 08:28 PM CDT
Hauberk. 110 ranks.

I was in platemail for a good, good, good long time. And I tell you, I loved it, and I'm still trained for it. But I've gone to a sniping archer and casting is nice. The spell hindrance, 11%, is occasionally inconvenient, but you reach a point where you have enough mana that failing 1 in 10 casts is not going to get you killed.

The soft RT from 608 is better than the hard RT from failing a hide against perceptive critters. In sticking with the OSOK, you get enough mana in your head, you'll be able to have 117 running for at least half your hunt, and against tough critters, 608 - and that's really the equivalent, mana-wise, of throwing down a vine and casting a spikethorn, and if you're aiming for the eye, you'll get more kills from 608/117 then you will from 610/616 (although it will be close).

Older creatures are built such that they hit harder, and are more complex in terms of spells and maneuvers, because characters that level either have tremendous DS to get through or have heavier armor. You will note an increased survival rate with heavier armor.

And, as noted elsewhere, macros are your friend.

Good luck to you.

~ Bill, Coyote.
Re: Armor 03/31/2014 09:16 AM CDT
As a capped archer ranger I've been in both double chain and brig. I far prefer the brig. If you have the training for it you can 620 your own brig but not chain. I've always found hiding and staying hidden easier in brig, especially if you can get a rogue to give you armored stealth. As your DS is primarily dodge based and you lose 2% more of your dodge DS in aug chain than in brig. The cast hindrance has already been mentioned but it cannot be understated as the difference between 6% and 9% can certainly be felt and, as a sniper, you'll be casting 608 frequently.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: Armor 03/31/2014 10:00 PM CDT
I'm a level 46 sniper and married to my gnome sized armor, which happens to be leather breastplate. I found some identical chain class armor (same scripts, small size only) and plan on moving up to that in the future. I'm surprised there hasn't been more mention of chain shirt as a happy medium between brig and augmented/hauberk.

Player of Zeek
Re: Armor 03/31/2014 11:38 PM CDT
As others have mentioned, I prefer aug chain. I found the extra 2% spell hindrance in hauberk to be just infuriating enough that it bothered me. Plus, I like how the action penalty reduction of aug chain is nice and round (100, 150, 200 ranks), and it allows you to max out the AP reduction whereas hauberk's AP reduction couldn't be maxed out without armor enhancives (220 ranks). I wear my aug chain with the action penalty of cuirbouilli leather. This is obviously more relevant once you hit cap, but even those rangers only approaching level 100 might want to consider bumping their armor use from 70 to 100 to take advantage of that first action penalty reduction; in practical terms, this would make your aug chain only hinder you like chain mail for defending against maneuvers and such.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: Armor 04/01/2014 10:47 AM CDT
Thanks for all the advice Ill finish out the 7x on the brig that fussion and unlocked so its better then work on the augment chain and get it HCP perm. It never hurt to have a back up high end gear sitting in your locker
Re: Armor 10/06/2014 12:41 PM CDT
I had some amazing FGB way back when and then when I became an archer, started moving up into chain armors...was wearing double chain up till 60ish and then went from there to augmented chain. Its 5x and very very light...used points to get it crit padded and have been insanely happy (was before fusion). Have taken hits that I know would have torn through brig or lower chain armors, even survived a Vaep cast to the head the other day. All told, I would say the min that a ranger should be getting into is double chain after 50. But to each their own.
Re: Armor 10/07/2014 05:31 PM CDT

Well pup went up to about 90 in 5x brig. Really storyline invasions and warcamps really pushed him into chain.
Re: Armor 10/09/2014 09:20 PM CDT
>Well pup went up to about 90 in 5x brig. Really storyline invasions and warcamps really pushed him into chain.

I think that's it, really. This character has always chased after the quests, jumped into invasions and basically, he lives a very dangerous life, so I like the heavier armors. I have a younger ranger archer, his protege', who does not get involved in such things, and I've got him in brigandine, and will probably keep him there for a very long time, if not permanently, just to tinker with a more traditional build.

~ Bill, Coyote.
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
Re: Armor 10/10/2014 06:50 AM CDT
In all honesty I have to say that armor training is a matter of preference. I know some rangers who remain in double leather their entire life. It is especially good if you're a sniping ranger. I myself prefer hauberk and if mine wasn't so good I'd move even higher into the plate classes, but that's just me. If I remember correctly I was in FGB until my late 70's or early 80's and moved to Hauberk then. I had zero issues in brig and the spell hindrance was considerably less, something I really miss, but due to Radeek's hunting style I am much happier in the chain armor.

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Re: Armor 10/10/2014 02:28 PM CDT
>>I was in FGB until my late 70's or early 80's and moved to Hauberk then.<<

I always considered the main advantage Hauberk had over FGB was spell protection the increased CvA. From what I have read, the crit reduction from the padding makes FGB about equal to hauberk as far as physical protection from blows is concerned. Did you notice much difference after switching? Of course, if your hauberk was padded, then that's a serious advantage.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Armor 10/10/2014 02:39 PM CDT
My hauberk is very well enchanted and heavily crit padded so I'm afraid I can't compare the difference for you. Needless to say I have seen considerable difference due to the increased armor class coupled with the padding.

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Re: Armor 10/10/2014 03:36 PM CDT
Right; if both armors have the same crit padding, then, as I mentioned, the hauberk will clearly offer more protection. Question answered.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Armor 10/10/2014 03:40 PM CDT
Don't forget that you can add heavy damage padding to your hauberk (assuming it's able) with the Adventurer's Guild for a negligible cost -- essentially keeping yourself in perma HDP hauberk.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: Armor 10/10/2014 04:37 PM CDT

Lol damn i forgot about that feature. Since it may be a while before i can get it on there i may go this route for the storyline. Thanks brian.