Problems with Stormfront Disconnecting 01/08/2011 11:31 AM CST
I recently came back to the world after about a year or so break and I am having issues with Stormfront disconnecting me constantly. It only randomly happens when a command is being entered into the client in any form whether it be me typing it or experience flashing from being in rest mode. It is getting really aggrivating and any help you guys can provide will be greatly appriciated. I just want to be able to play without getting kicked every few minutes.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit OS and have tried reloading the client several times, checked the event log in Windows to no avail and even deleted all the folders in Program Files to make sure everything was gone before reinstall. Hopefully someone had this problem as well and I can actually enjoy the game without these constant interruptions.

Thanks in Advance!

Re: Problems with Stormfront Disconnecting 01/08/2011 11:47 AM CST
Send me a note to my play-dot-net account. I would want to ask a few questions before making a suggestion. If you're not interested in that dialog, you can decipher this and perhaps try a few other things:

1) Did you allow the program to install to its default and ignore the warning that "the program may not be properly installed" in Win7?

2) Do you have your scripts and other front end information set to save locally or on the server? Saving locally would probably be best.

3) Did you import previous settings from an XML file or are you working from a clean installation?

4) Are you using any third party programs, such as Lich or PsiNET?

I use SF, multiple OS installations depending on mood, current work and general laziness. I do use Win 7 64bit, always save my information locally and therefore have to do quite a bit of exporting and importing when I make significant changes to highlight / scripts, etc. But I don't see these problems with frequent disconnects.

Doug
Re: Problems with Stormfront Disconnecting 01/08/2011 12:10 PM CST
1) I did, it installed in the Program Files(x86) directory which is what it defaulted to. I try to never change that on a game unless there is a real specific reason. I tried both to choose the warning about it being wrongly installed and ignore it, no change.

2) I just tried making everything local instead of server based and I am waiting to see if it made any difference.

3) Clean installation, I literally just build this machine a few weeks ago and barely have anything installed.

4) I am not using any third party programs, just logging on the website and entering through the clients.

I tried the other clients as well, eScape and Wizard, as was disconnected there as well. Maybe it is a sign lol.
Re: Problems with Stormfront Disconnecting 01/08/2011 12:15 PM CST
<< I tried the other clients as well, eScape and Wizard, as was disconnected there as well. Maybe it is a sign lol. >>

I had the same problem a few years back. I was running my PC on a wireless connection and I had a BSD server running DNS in the other room that would literally suck up all of the network resources. I could run one FE and everything was fine...but if I launched a second FE and connected to the game, it would do just like you ares showing. After troubleshooting that server for a few minutes and seeing nothing amiss, I replaced the wireless router and the problem went away.

- - - - -
Ron
Re: Problems with Stormfront Disconnecting 01/08/2011 12:19 PM CST
Yep, right call here, heading further afield to the network end point and access points.

Ron's point is painfully true. I had the same problems (in general, not with the game) with a Linksys Dualband Wireless-N router. It's a brick now, having been retired in favor of a more stable router.

Not sure you would want to be giving up network information about your local network, but if you're comfortable with that, describe the general situation, and let's look at it.

Doug
Re: Problems with Stormfront Disconnecting 01/08/2011 12:36 PM CST
I am actually trying to bypass the wireless router completely and connected my computer up to my cable modem. My wife and I are using a D-Link DIR-615 wireless N router. It is about a month old and is supposed to be a good router per reviews and a friend using one. I just have a plain wired network setup for my wife and I to share and backup files and such so no servers or nothing fancy here. She is also using Windows 7 and the same thing happened to her machine as mine so I believe you are right about the router. =/

Still going well off the modem but it has only been a few minutes. I will keep you guys posted. Do you need any other info?
Re: Problems with Stormfront Disconnecting 01/08/2011 12:52 PM CST
<< My wife and I are using a D-Link DIR-615 wireless N router. >>

The router that caused me grief was a D-Link also. Swore them off after that. I went to a NetGear router based off of reviews from Tom's Hardware (years ago) and it worked fine until it blew up a couple years back. I decided to go with the classic Linksys WRT54G. Not one of those new N series (I tried one of those first and it sucked), but the classic blue and black with the two ears. They are rock solid as long as you keep the firmware up to date and if you like to tinker, you can install the custom DD-WRT firmware on it and force it to your will.

- - - - -
Ron
Re: Problems with Stormfront Disconnecting 01/08/2011 02:26 PM CST
Yea I had a Linksys 4 port switch before I got this one so I guess that is why it never acted up before. I haven't had any issues since connecting directly to the modem so I am going to go pray the store will take back the more than a month old router. Thanks for the help and hopefully that will do the trick otherwise I guess the wifey won't be able to get on the webs for a while haha!
Re: Problems with Stormfront Disconnecting 01/08/2011 04:21 PM CST
Oh well, changed some settings to no avail...still disconnecting. I guess I will be going to get another router sometime soon. Time to do some research =/