Nerve injury / scar 09/14/2016 02:05 PM CDT
In Profanity FE, the nerve injury and scar indication is not distinguished. It always looks like an injury.

I had asked Tillmen about this "bug" and he indicated to me that it was coming through the game feed that way, and he wasn't sure what hacks the Simu FEs do to get around this error. He said he considered it on a time but hadn't done anything about it.

Is this true? If it is, can we fix this 20 year old bug?
Re: Nerve injury / scar 09/14/2016 03:17 PM CDT
It may be that the front-end parses the string and displays X color if "string == scar" wording and Y color if "string == wound" wording.
I know that some scars can hamper some activities--to include passive things, like experience absorption--in a similar fashion to a wound, so it may be "all wounds are wounds, even if it's an OLD wound [== scar]", all the time.
Re: Nerve injury / scar 09/14/2016 08:20 PM CDT
>I had asked Tillmen about this "bug" and he indicated to me that it was coming through the game feed that way, and he wasn't sure what hacks the Simu FEs do to get around this error. He said he considered it on a time but hadn't done anything about it.

At least on the SF side, the "issue" is the XML the server sends. I've never bothered to log the wizard feed, but since Lich uses the XML feed, it's irrelevant.

Rank 2 leg wound: <image id="leftLeg" name="Scar2" cmd="cure left leg" tooltip="cure left leg" height="0" width="0"/>
Rank 2 leg scar: <image id="leftLeg" name="Injury2" cmd="cure left leg" tooltip="cure left leg" height="0" width="0"/>

vs.

Rank 2 nerve wound: <image id="nsys" name="Nsys2" cmd="cure nerves" tooltip="cure nerves" height="0" width="0"/>
Rank 2 nerve scar: <image id="nsys" name="Nsys2" cmd="cure nerves" tooltip="cure nerves" height="0" width="0"/>

It's not a bug per se. Stormfront is being told what image to load into the little picture of you on the side of your screen. It doesn't need to know whether the wound is a scar or not, just the name of the the image(s) to display on your little dude on the side of the screen. For most damage, wounds show up in red with a number from 1-3 (Injury1 - Injury3), while scars show up in orange with a number from 1-3 (Scar1 - Scar3). For nerve damage, a picture of your nervous system shows up in yellow, orange, or red, for minor, medium, major, regardless of whether it's a scar or a wound (Nsys1 - Nsys3).

The paper doll never distinguishes the two. If you have orange nerves and your radio setting is on "both", you have a rank 2 nerve, but there's no way to tell whether it's a scar or a wound without further interaction. That radio setting is actually a server-side feature, and tells the server what kind of wounds to send you: just wounds, just scars, or both. Then the server sends your client the image to display.

So, the roundabout answer: There is no hack. Everything is working as intended. Profanity is trying to add a feature (distinguishing between nerve scars and nerve wounds) that Stormfront doesn't have, and that the XML feed doesn't try support. Unsurprisingly, this doesn't work well.

To know your wounds exactly, whenever the XML reports a change in nerve wounds, Lich quietly types HEALTH (without showing the results to you) and does what Krakii suggests - it parses the wound strings to be able to tell whether Nsys2 is representing a scar or a wound this time. Profanity could do the same.
Re: Nerve injury / scar 09/15/2016 06:33 AM CDT
Awesome reply! Thanks.