Why does Caps Lock suck? 11/19/2014 08:41 AM CST
(This is partly a tongue-in-cheek style post, somewhat related to typing a lot and injuring your hands, which has to do with scripting.)

I've probably posted before that I'm in Japan, and at some point I adopted one aspect of the Japanese keyboard layout that swaps Caps Lock with Left Ctrl (or similar, depending on your keyboard, lower left key. It's a sort of interesting 'adoption,' since Ctrl was originally in this position at some point. I guess Japanese have even less use for Caps Lock than people planning to type in Roman characters, but the key is still fairly useless and in prime real estate.

I think I finally did the change after my hand started hurting from one of my macros, Ctrl+D for incant 702. Especially as my hands are very large (for instance, I hit the space bar with my right index finger because my thumbs cannot hit the space bar if my fingers are on homerow without moving my wrist significantly by my index can), then this turned into a strange bork where my left thumb crossed under my palm hit Ctrl while my left index hit D.

Anyway, it's something you can re-train yourself on in probably under a week. The mapping is that good, you'll pick it up super-fast. Also, it's generally unlikely if you hit Caps-Lock by accident that terrible things will happen without a chance for you to hit the backspace key. (I suppose if you fail to save a document right before closing? But now instead you modified the document with capital S so probably you will get a message indicating if you really mean to do that.)

The only downside at all is how much you'll hate caps-lock on all other keyboards that aren't coded to swap them. Oh, and that if your keyboard is the type where the caps-lock key itself lights up when caps lock is active, the wrong key will be illuminated.

Totally left-field post, for anyone that cares.

Got any other swanky key mapping ideas? Especially if the learning curve is really small (ie: not DVORAK)

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Why does Caps Lock suck? 11/19/2014 03:45 PM CST

I'm definitely dealing with some minor claw-hand issues as well.

ever consider something like this?

http://www.morekeyboard.com/node/5
Re: Why does Caps Lock suck? 11/19/2014 08:57 PM CST
Could be something to think about. I haven't had a desktop since I was in high school, but eventually I'll probably get one again.

One of my friends is a software engineer and has bought several keyboards over the years. The one he has right now has fairly nice action, although it makes a pretty awful clacking sound.

A few guys at my work have some variant of the Happy Hacking Keyboard, which have very good typing features. I prefer the ones without the keys printed, but I show the one with keys printed so you could see the layout. Like Ctrl set in the proper place...

https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=pfu_keyboards,hhkbpro2&pid=pdkb400b

Think there's a hardware toggle on the back to revert "Delete" into "Backspace" since I won't lie, that would drive me crazy. There's a series with arrow keys, but I didn't bother digging up links too hard...

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."