Uninstalling Malware 11/10/2014 03:56 PM CST
A while ago, I got an alert that Java needed to be updated, so I started the update. At some point, the screen popped up asking me if I wanted to also install the Ask Toolbar and make the Ask home page my default home page. I was playing Gemstone at the time and entering commands into the game; unfortunately, this prompt popped up right when I hit Enter. I asked the Internet what to do about it, but the solutions presented have not removed the Ask Toolbar from IE.

At this point, IE is completely unusable. Whenever I open it, the cursor spins and nothing ever comes up. I can't open new tabs, and the only way to close it is via the Task Manager.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get rid of this thing?
Re: Uninstalling Malware 11/10/2014 04:02 PM CST
Install firefox or chrome.

All seriousness, try uninstalling it from your control panel in windows.
If your unable to do that, open internet explorer, tools, manage addons.
Disabled the ask toolbar plugin.
Re: Uninstalling Malware 11/10/2014 04:17 PM CST
Sounds like the Malware is your OS that allows essential updates to include vicious software that you hit a key to accept. A cat jumping on your keyboard can do that!

But yeah, no idea. Wish I could help.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Uninstalling Malware 11/10/2014 05:15 PM CST
Yes, this happened to me once a while ago, and it is not straight forward to get rid of (mine was in firefox).
Google how to remove the Ask.com toolbar. PC mag has instructions on how to do it.
If you can't google, Do this
Go to the control panel, uninstall a program, and uninstall the ask toolbar.
Then go to internet explore, tools, manage add-ons
Select toolbars and extensions
Select all the ask toolbar crap
(they say also the IESalesProspectsToolbarInstaller_S-PV_tbr_sa_hpr_1.15.23.0, and askBar BHO)
Disable them
Back in manage add-ons rem ask.com as the default search engine and then select whatever you want for a new engine such as Bing
Then go back to tools, internet options, general tab, and set your home page.

Java sucks for doing this to people.

Clintmire,
Goatherder
Re: Uninstalling Malware 11/10/2014 05:36 PM CST

>At some point, the screen popped up asking me if I wanted to also install the Ask Toolbar and make the Ask home page my default home page.

it really pisses me off that it's still legal to default the check box on for additional software besides what you intend to install. You can remove the Ask toolbar from the "uninstall a program" or "add/remove software" depending on your windows version. this should work. I have to do it all the time at the office.
Re: Uninstalling Malware 11/10/2014 06:00 PM CST
I do have an alternative browser installed, but I need IE because of [pick your descriptor] Web developers. I also have an alternate OS, but can't use it for Gemstone because Avalon is... let's just say outdated, plus I've never tried to see if it works in Mountain Lion. I refuse to install third-party software (which is why this whole situation is doubly infuriating).

I tried using the Control Panel to uninstall the tool bar. That's when IE stopped working period. There's no indication in the Control Panel that the Ask tool bar is still installed, but the home page still pops up when IE opens and hangs. I can't get into any menus because of the hanging problem.

Is there a way to uninstall IE?
Re: Uninstalling Malware 11/10/2014 06:01 PM CST
>>it really pisses me off that it's still legal to default the check box on for additional software besides what you intend to install.

You and me both.
Re: Uninstalling Malware 11/10/2014 06:11 PM CST

>There's no indication in the Control Panel that the Ask tool bar is still installed, but the home page still pops up when IE opens and hangs.

you should be able to access your internet options from the control panel. From there change the home page from ask.com
Re: Uninstalling Malware 11/10/2014 09:37 PM CST
>>you should be able to access your internet options from the control panel. From there change the home page from ask.com

You rock! I was able to change the home page, but it still just hung there the first time I opened it. I closed IE and when I reopened it, the home page had changed. IE is working now! And apparently has upgraded itself to IE 11.

Thanks for your help!
Re: Uninstalling Malware 11/10/2014 10:19 PM CST
I know the feelings about Avalon. It's pretty awful. My wife was using Warlock to play on Mac OS X, but now, like me, uses Tillmen's Profanity in GNU/Linux. Not sure how you'd feel about any of these options, but feel free to ask.

Anyway, glad some people could help you out to get that software uninstalled!

>Is there a way to uninstall IE?

This is probably not a good idea. But you can definitely set another default browser and never use IE in general. I'm fairly happy with Chromium (almost identical to Chrome minus some licensing things, and any proprietary software like Flash is stripped). I certainly have no issues browsing websites and have no versions of IE. In fact, the built-in translating function of Chromium is amazing for me, since I can't read Japanese almost at all...

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Uninstalling Malware 11/11/2014 09:55 AM CST
">>it really pisses me off that it's still legal to default the check box on for additional software besides what you intend to install.

You and me both." -- Wyntrfrsh, quoting & replying

Another favorite of mine: having a pop-up box while something is going on--which you presumably actually want to happen, since you initiated it--with an 'OK' and 'Cancel' button... and the 'OK' is not enabled until the task is complete, in order to clear the pop-up. But MEANWHILE, the 'Cancel' button is not only active, it is where the cursor is already located (for your convenience and using pleasure)!

Bunch of jackasses wrote that one.

Fortunately, I only have to interact with the FIVE THOUSAND TIMES during the BUSIEST TIME OF MY YEAR, since it's part of the tax software that we use. <snort>
Re: Uninstalling Malware 11/17/2014 01:55 PM CST
Did you get this fixed?

If you have IE 9, click the windows button (on screen button, lower left) and search for iexplore –extoff. In IE, hit the windows keyboard button+R to open the run command. Type in the same thing - iexplore –extoff.

This opens IE with the extensions off. You should able to disable any offended software or addons.

Magarven the Mad
Re: Uninstalling Malware 11/18/2014 08:42 PM CST
Yes, it's fixed now. Going into Internet Options through the Control Panel worked. Thank you for the info, though!