Computer rebooting 06/23/2014 11:16 AM CDT
Hi all,

Perhaps someone here can share some wisdom - my macbook pro, in the last few weeks, keeps wanting to reboot itself if it's just left for a while and screensaver comes on. I thought maybe it was set for auto updates or some such but all of that is turned off.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Re: Computer rebooting 06/23/2014 11:51 AM CDT
Auto log out on inactivity? That used to be a Lion problem, but haven't seen a lot of traffic about it since. Heck, don't even know if the current bevy - Mavericks - even supports that 'feature' any more.

Which OS?

Doug
Re: Computer rebooting 06/23/2014 12:33 PM CDT

Yeah, it's ox s 10.9.3 - Mavericks. Bought the laptop with Lion installed but upgraded last autumn.
Re: Computer rebooting 06/23/2014 01:16 PM CDT
I've upgraded to 10.9.3 and do not have that problem with my Air.

Sounds like a power issue. Maybe the battery is not keeping a charge or the power cable is faulty?

Chad, player of a few
Re: Computer rebooting 06/23/2014 04:18 PM CDT
Is there a way to get any feedback on what it says/does before reboot? Does this happen if the screensaver is disabled? If not, then somehow it's related to idle or sleep behavior. Maybe it has some default setting that it wants to sleep after some amount of being idle and this somehow is resulting in reboots.

Someone is saying it's related to DropBox: (sorry terrible link to follow...original page wouldn't load either) http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:q3pX0cgndiYJ:apple.stackexchange.com/questions/131315/after-update-osx-10-9-3-mack-book-pro-2010-restart-suddenly+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=jp

Not a huge fan of Mac or Windows, so I don't own any machines to do testing on, but happy to attempt troubleshooting.

>(OOC) Rozy's player whispers to the group, "Spiiiiiderhalfling!"

>Out of no where, a ki-lin gallops in.
Re: Computer rebooting 06/24/2014 09:46 AM CDT

Thanks for the replies. Did a bit of google searching and it seems a number of people are having a similar issue with no guidance from apple. The list of suspects is long! I've played with all the sleep and lower settings so don't think it's that. Could be related to something I have installed in the computer though I haven't installed anything new recently. I do have Dropbox so could test that theory but I've had that for a while now.

Might try going back to mountain lion and see if the problem disappears.
Re: Computer rebooting 06/25/2014 10:21 PM CDT
I jail (chroot/sandbox, pick your preferred term) the crap out of binary blob proprietary stuff like Dropbox that's intent and purpose is inspecting and altering files on my HDD.

Actually, I reinstalled recently and need to do it again. I think I should put the script I put on this Talk page onto github or something...http://gentoo-en.vfose.ru/wiki/Talk:Jail_Dropbox

/end geek face

PS: Not that people running proprietary software by default have any reason to think twice about stuff like Dropbox. I normally just dump stuff to my work server under WWW and go...

>(OOC) Rozy's player whispers to the group, "Spiiiiiderhalfling!"

>Out of no where, a ki-lin gallops in.