Game problems with new laptop 12/07/2013 10:28 PM CST
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new laptop that closely resembles my previous laptop - 2.65 ghz, 4 RAM vs. 2.30 ghz, 4 RAM

Unfortunately, the new laptop if not playing well with Gemstone. I ran a test between the two laptops: I had someone take a character from both of my accounts from the Landing to Solhaven, multiple times. The character on the old laptop "arrived" twice as fast as the other each time, with the new laptop having multiple incidents of "freezing". No third party software was installed on either at instance at the time.

I don't even know where to begin to diagnose this problem. Help!
Re: Game problems with new laptop 12/08/2013 03:19 AM CST
I don't know a whole lot, but I'd start with what background tasks are running on the new one that could be the culprit. GS freeze problems are usually internet related, so maybe you have something running that's updating or checking for updates or whatever, using bandwidth maybe?

~Lyradie
>With a startled yelp, a young elven child suddenly tumbles from somewhere above you, landing gracelessly in a pile of refuse!
Re: Game problems with new laptop 12/08/2013 09:06 AM CST

You might try running SF on the new machine in XP compatibility mode.

SGM Sleken
Re: Game problems with new laptop 12/08/2013 10:04 AM CST
Running in XP compatible mode was the first thing I did.

I've pretty much killed all non-essential processes. I don't think it's connection related - Dragons of Elanthia plays just fine, and all my ping-y tests come back acceptable. The one exception worth noting is when I ping www.gemstone.net I don't get a response.

Any more thoughts out there? I'm pretty much at a loss and beside myself.
Re: Game problems with new laptop 12/08/2013 11:26 AM CST
I'm really scraping my memory here, but I seem to recall pings being blocked except for ping.play.net or danger.play.net. It's been a looong time since I've had to deal with that, though.

If you haven't already, you might bring up your problem on the Simutronics forum.

SGM Sleken