General Internet Connectivity Issue 08/17/2013 12:41 PM CDT
My PC drops it's wireless connection almost daily. The problem seems to happen when another computer in the house logs on. My icon will show that there are connections available but they each only have 1 bar of connectivity and none will actually connect. The only way to get back on is by re-booting the router.

I don't know if this is a bandwidth issue or the modem re-setting or what.

In fact, I'm not even sure what questions to be asking Comcast about it.

Any ideas?
Re: General Internet Connectivity Issue 08/17/2013 02:53 PM CDT
Wireless can be tricky, especially if you're having problems with low reception. Chances are the problem rests with your wireless router and/or your environment. Are you in a condo or apartment? Microwave ovens are notorious for disrupting wireless signals. If you normally have a full signal, but sometimes it mysteriously drops out (especially around dinner time), this could be the culprit. Other devices sharing frequencies can do the same thing, like wireless phones and other routers.

One thing you might try is changing the channel on your router. Usually channels farther from center (the top three and bottom three) have better reception because they're less often used. If you have an iPhone or Android, you can download an app that helps you visualize this. I use one on Android called "WiFi Analyzer". Most people leave their routers set on the default channel. Looking at WiFi Analyzer now, I see about half a dozen networks fighting for the same frequencies, while the upper channels are virtually unused.

Sometimes position and orientation can make a big difference in wireless performance. The closer your computer is to the router, and the fewer obstacles in between, the better and more reliable the signal. This isn't always easy to fix--after all, that's why we go wireless. But if there's anything you can do to get your router and receiver closer to the same plane, give it a try.

If interference isn't an issue, then you might have a bad router. Unfortunately, they do fizzle out sometimes, and I've gone through several over the years. Intermittent problems can be a symptom of a failing router. If you do decide to upgrade, check into the latest wireless protocols. You'll probably want dual-band Wireless N, if all your devices (computers, tablets, etc.) can use it. If range isn't an issue, you might try 5GHz to get out of the "microwave" zone.

Hope something in here helps. Believe me, I know how frustrating wireless issues can be! :)

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: General Internet Connectivity Issue 08/17/2013 03:24 PM CDT
Ya that does help. The thing is though, the wireless works perfectly if I'm the only one on the internet. If someone else gets on, then there is a problem.
Re: General Internet Connectivity Issue 08/17/2013 05:27 PM CDT
<<<The thing is though, the wireless works perfectly if I'm the only one on the internet. If someone else gets on, then there is a problem.>>>

That is odd. There are a few possibilities. I'd try changing channels on the router, first. If that doesn't help, try repositioning your equipment relative to each other. My hunch is your router is going bad, but you should rule everything else out first before replacing hardware. The fact that your signal drops when another joins suggests either interference or failing hardware. So that's where I'd start.

~ Heathyr and friends