Broken Raid Away 08/22/2011 10:12 PM CDT
Looking to see if anyone has dealt with something similar before. My computer was working fine... Then I got home one day and it was on a black bios screen. It says there is a Broken Raid 0. "Critical Status: A disk member of a striping array has failed or is not responding. The array is not functional."

If I power off the computer, start it back up, I can load into windows. It works for a minute or two and then freezes up before crashing back to the same window.

It also says:

Remaining members of the failed array.

Channel: Serial_Ch1 Master
Drive Name: ST31000528AS
Array Name: Array0
Mode: Sata
Size: 931.51 GB

What are your guys' thoughts? Is this a failed hard drive or is it likely a Mobo issue? Also, the drive listed as "remaining members of the failed array", would that be the failed drive or the hard drive that is still functioning properly?

Any ideas? I'm thinking one of the hard drives went out... Not sure.

Rontuu / Chris
Re: Broken Raid Array 08/22/2011 10:13 PM CDT

Hahaha. And the title should have been Array. =) Guess my fingers didn't type what my head told them to. Lol.

Rontuu
Re: Broken Raid Array 08/22/2011 11:15 PM CDT
It appears as if one of the drivers is either corrupted or failed completely. It makes sense that it will load into Windows since you are using Raid 0, which stores the data across multiple drives. The plus side to Raid 0 is the speed. The downside is that when it fails you can't just swap out a drive and have everything continue working. You most likely have lost a lot of stuff.

If you are able to boot it into Safe Mode (possibly whatever it is loading that is causing it to crash won't load), you may be able to get some of your data off the drives before you have to reformat and/or replace the drive.

-X
Re: Broken Raid Array 08/23/2011 11:17 AM CDT
I went ahead and just zapped it all last night and re-loaded Windows 7 on the single drive that was listed as remaining. I'm pretty sure the other HD fried. (The HD that was in the same spot last time went out as well.) I have a very old case and it stacks the HD's right on top of each other. (Literally no space above or below.) The one on top has zero breathing room. I think the heat took this one out and the one before it as well.

Everything looks good on the one HD so far. Going to get it fully set up today and then do some testing on the other HD to see what happened. I backup regularly so I didn't lose much. Just a few pictures and itunes ratings. Nothing too bad.

Rontuu