purpose of this board? 12/01/2010 06:18 PM CST
Hi, I'm back in the game after a 12, or 13-year hiatus (notice the extra comma?) and shortly before I left, the Arkati histories had been released, which I read (or skimmed). However, I haven't been able to find anything like that in these boards. Does wordsmithing pertain to histories, or is it something more mundane, like commas? ;)

p.s. When I was in high school, early 80s, we were taught not to put the comma before "and", but inside the quotations (what I didn't do just now). In the ham and beans example, if that is one dish, it should be:

For dinner I had bread, beer, and ham and beans.

If ham and beans are two separate dishes:

For dinner I had bread, beer, ham and beans.

The first of two "and"s would be required in the first instance. However, the writer saying that one must deliberately construct a sentence that would not occur 'in nature' is correct; even when speaking one would automatically try to construct the sentence differently, such as:

For dinner I had ham and beans, bread, butter and beer.

Obviously you're not saying you had the dish butter-and-beer. ;)
Re: purpose of this board? 12/01/2010 08:03 PM CST
Mmm... butter and beer.

That is all.

GM Tiqal

"You're in America now. Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
"You brought a sandwich?"
"Who do I look like, Kissinger?"
~The Dresden Files, Jim Butcher. "Turn Coat"
Re: purpose of this board? 12/01/2010 08:07 PM CST
Yeah, I do not believe this was around when I left either. Any info about if this is still active or not?
Re: purpose of this board? 12/01/2010 08:26 PM CST
GM Itzel is the current guru of the Wordsmiths. If you want to reach her in a more timely fashion, your best bet would probably be to try her at GS4-ITZEL@PLAY.NET. I am not saying that she won't read it here first, but with the holidays coming and going, that is probably the surest way to go.

GM Tiqal

"You're in America now. Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
"You brought a sandwich?"
"Who do I look like, Kissinger?"
~The Dresden Files, Jim Butcher. "Turn Coat"
Re: purpose of this board? 12/01/2010 10:51 PM CST
Thank you for the info, Tiqal. I'll give it a few days and then try email.
Re: purpose of this board? 12/03/2010 09:18 AM CST
Hi guys,

I'm definitely still here! I have a set of revised guidelines that should be making its way to approval, so we can get up and running again. I also have a few things that the other GMs have floated as potential projects, for when we get going!

Cheers,
Itzel

Team Plat
Forest Gnome Guru
Elven Nations Guru
Wordsmiths Guru