Hey, guess what?! 09/16/2010 11:42 AM CDT
I'm the new guru for the Wordsmiths!

I can't wait to work with everyone, and hope to have some news soon on how the organization is going to function, going forwards.

I love documentation, I love player contributions and I love overusing commas!

Cheers,
Itzel

Team Plat
Forest Gnome Guru
Elven Nations Guru

Jaired says, "Stop standing in the way of the artistic picture that I am trying to paint through WORDS."
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/16/2010 12:01 PM CDT
Yay! Glad to have you, Itzel!

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/16/2010 12:43 PM CDT
"I love documentation, I love player contributions and I love overusing commas!" -- Itzel

Or underusing, as the case may be. :)

(In a comma-separated list, there should be a comma before the terminal "and"... kind of like in item 'inv'entory displays. <grin>)
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/16/2010 03:23 PM CDT
>(In a comma-separated list, there should be a comma before the terminal "and"... kind of like in item 'inv'entory displays. <grin>)

She was obviously typing in British, duh!

~Izzea, trying to find more ways for people to confuse her with Itzel. ;)
ASGM Towns & Communities
Mentor Guru
Forum Manager
Famous in Norway
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/16/2010 03:26 PM CDT
Yeah, mostly I was just looking for a way to bust chops. :) (I'm easily amused that way. <nod>)
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/16/2010 03:57 PM CDT
One, two and three works fine.

One, two, three, and more works fine.

Numbers are relevant. Chops are mutton. Nothing is crystal.

Doug, somewhere.
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/16/2010 05:38 PM CDT
>She was obviously typing in British, duh!

Obviously not because the extra comma is called "the Oxford comma".

-Olivier/Chivalrous

Proud inventor of the causality destroying Droit ballista
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/16/2010 07:30 PM CDT
>Obviously not because the extra comma is called "the Oxford comma".

Would that it were so simple. The Oxford Comma, presumably so-called as its use is recommended by Oxford university's style guide while recommended against by Cambridge's (probably just to be difficult), is an extremely divisive subject amongst British writers, journalists, academics and other amateur grammarians. It is however commonly omitted throughout the Commonwealth in all but the most formal writing while (I believe) being commonly used by default in America.

Personally I'm of the opinion that punctuation is functional, not ritual or decorative. If there's no ambiguity as to meaning caused by its absence, it should be omitted. Less is more!

Dave, Brandain's Bard, crusader against unnecessary commas
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/16/2010 07:47 PM CDT
Yes the Oxford/serial comma is common in North America. It should always be included because often the ambiguity of the sentence is more obvious to the reader than the writer. Including it rarely causes ambiguity but not including it can lead to an ambiguous sentence. Always including it frees the writer from having to assess every list for ambiguity.

For instance:

For dinner I had bread, beer, ham and beans.

For dinner I had bread, beer, ham, and beans.

In the first one I do not know if they mean a bowl of ham and beans (midwestern staple food if you are wondering) or they had seperate servings ham and beans. The Oxford comma removes ambiguity.

-Olivier/Chivalrous

Proud inventor of the causality destroying Droit ballista
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/16/2010 08:27 PM CDT
>Yes the Oxford/serial comma is common in North America. It should always be included because often the ambiguity of the sentence is more obvious to the reader than the writer. Including it rarely causes ambiguity but not including it can lead to an ambiguous sentence. Always including it frees the writer from having to assess every list for ambiguity.

>For instance:

>For dinner I had bread, beer, ham and beans.

>For dinner I had bread, beer, ham, and beans.

>In the first one I do not know if they mean a bowl of ham and beans (midwestern staple food if you are wondering) or they had seperate servings ham and beans. The Oxford comma removes ambiguity.

Argh! Have at thee!

I'm not a fan of the precautionary principle when it comes to punctuation. While there may be a minute and very literal ambiguity in the first sentence, in actual practice if you meant the former (a bowl of ham and beans with bread and beer) you would never construct the first sentence in the first place as it is probably the most awkward way one could possibly assemble that culinary observation into a sentence.

Most examples of ambiguity that would be resolved by a serial comma are quite deliberately constructed, and could rarely appear in practice -- rather than introduce a redundant element of punctuation to resolve an imaginary problem people could just build their sentences properly, telling us for example that they had a bowl of ham and beans for dinner with bread and a beer.

Forcing additional punctuation on a poor bastard tongue like English just on the unlikely off-chance that a sensible thought might become functionally absurd is dictatorial. Down with excess commas!

Dave, Brandain's Grammatic Libertarian Bard

(Toldja it was divisive!) ;-)
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/17/2010 01:21 AM CDT
\\In the first one I do not know if they mean a bowl of ham and beans (midwestern staple food if you are wondering) or they had seperate servings ham and beans. The Oxford comma removes ambiguity.\\

touche, sir

*Mohrgan laughs...because grammar can be hilariously arcane, and he only has 17 ranks of arcane symbols*
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/17/2010 02:25 AM CDT
Serial commas are serious business. Just sayin'.

____
~Wyrom
Host Team
Training Team
Platinum Team

>The hobgoblin suddenly wakes from his slumber and slams the club into his own skull, killing himself.
>Sjira exclaims, "Hobiside!"
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/17/2010 02:59 AM CDT
>Obviously not because the extra comma is called "the Oxford comma".

It might be called that, but we don't use it! In fact, we're specifically taught not to in school!

Also, yay Itzel!

~Izzea
ASGM Towns & Communities
Mentor Guru
Forum Manager
Famous in Norway
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/17/2010 07:58 AM CDT
"In fact, we're specifically taught not to in school!" -- Itzel

Hear that?!?! She's one of those Cambridge bas... yeah, I'll stop there. <nod>

Probably believes in the Baconian heresies, too!
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/17/2010 08:07 AM CDT
<<Probably believes in the Baconian heresies, too!

Did someone say bacon?

And back on track, yay Wordsmiths!

-Adam

"You guys took all the pretty places." ~Anonymous
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/17/2010 08:53 AM CDT
>"In fact, we're specifically taught not to in school!" -- Itzel

Please tell me your Itzel/Izzea confusion was ironic! ;)

~Izzea
ASGM Towns & Communities
Mentor Guru
Forum Manager
Famous in Norway
Re: Hey, guess what?! 09/17/2010 12:09 PM CDT
Errr... yeah.

I think the two of you posted back-to-back, and I think I may have scrolled down already and attributed the quote to the other one of you.
Or something.

Anyway, that's what I'm going to go with. Yeah.
Re: Hey, guess what?! 10/31/2010 10:18 AM CDT
Can the rest of us go with Senility as cause Robert?

SPLAT!! Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.