GM nerphing, hate to see it but I agree 02/14/2011 05:14 AM CST
i hate to see the nerphing of some skins. Hurts a lot since it was something I grew up with. I remember everyone in my group chastising me for casting a spell at a beetle. Hit in the head or you ruin our skins!!! I never took advantage of the uber skins because it wasn't me. I am sad that now, the up and comers can't get the benefits of the one thing that brought young ones to Teras. I can understand people wanting to make coin, but do you really need to hurt the young ones that are the lifeforce of Elanthia? You killed the vibrant carrot on the stick that I used to tell people, "go to teras, skin beetles. you will do fine with help from town and make some coin"
Re: GM nerphing, hate to see it but I agree 02/14/2011 05:20 AM CST
The most recent nerf to skins had to do with characters that were way, way higher level than the creature they were hunting not getting a reduced return for their skins. If you are a younger character uphunting, or hunting at level, you should still be seeing a very nice return for skinning creatures with valuable hides.
Re: GM nerphing, hate to see it but I agree 02/14/2011 12:43 PM CST
>If you are a younger character uphunting, or hunting at level, you should still be seeing a very nice return for skinning creatures with valuable hides. -Evarin

I think you misinterpreted the nerf Evarin. The problem was that hunting pressure was broken for people much higher levels but not for those of the same level. So the system was/is working as intended for like level hunters, they will drive down the costs of skins by getting them. So being the same level as the critter won't get you greater value per skin.
Re: GM nerphing, hate to see it but I agree 02/14/2011 12:49 PM CST
Perhaps I am misunderstanding the situation. You're saying the penalty for severely underhunting for skins is no worse than the penalty one normally faces when skinning things at level?
Re: GM nerphing, hate to see it but I agree 02/14/2011 12:51 PM CST
As I understand things, the problem was that in the normal calculations for hunting pressure effects on skins, players of very high level were not being counted (or it was not being applied to their skins). Now both like leveled and high leveled players are counted exactly the same. So this falls into the actual bug and bug-fix category, not really a nerf of any kind.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: GM nerphing, hate to see it but I agree 02/14/2011 06:23 PM CST
I thought it was a different effect that was being fixed, but a testing suggests otherwise.

Hunting pressure on critters can move their treasure by up to 3 levels away from the base level. So a critter with base tier 5 treasure, will give tier 8 if almost never hunted, and tier 2 if severely farmed. However, this only applies if you can learn from it. If you can't learn from it, you always get tier 2 treasure even if it would be giving tier 8 treasure to a like level hunter. This is an enormous difference on the value of other treasure for most critters. (If it was severely farmed anyway it makes no difference, but even from tier 4 to tier 2 is a big drop).

I thought a similar thing was being done for skins (i.e. if you can't learn from the critter it would count as if it is under the severest hunting pressure for its skin as well as its other drops) but it seems not.

This is a change that needs to be made. Hunting critters you can't learn from for skins should produce the same effect on value that it does for gems, boxes etc.

When I go into Greymist with a level 25 character, I get rubbish treasure from slightly uphunting the trolls there. It is presumably rubbish because the trolls are being slaughtered by the shedload by the bandit hunters and skin farmers along with beetles and burgees. It is also highly dangerous due to the swarms set off by the skin farmers and bandit hunters. However, after this change I could still get skins worth thousands each with a level 65 character.

Thinking of swarming side effects on like level hunters, another good change would be to make high level characters count much less for spawning. A critter might spawn on a 30s cycle for like level, but a 5 minute cycle for those too high to learn from it.
Re: GM nerphing, hate to see it but I agree 03/09/2011 05:46 PM CST
I just noticed this post and am not sure that I fully understand,as I did not see the change when it originally came out..please someone clarify if I am misunderstanding this.

< The problem was that hunting pressure was broken for people much higher levels but not for those of the same level. So the system was/is working as intended for like level hunters, they will drive down the costs of skins by getting them. So being the same level as the critter won't get you greater value per skin.>

So what this means is, that as a high level ranger that has put a great deal of time and training into my skinning, and I know I can get beetles or antlers worth as much as 3k each, or more with the antlers. I no longer am going to be able to do that because those critters are a lower level then I am???? And this is being done based on the supply and demand concept and hunting pressure???? Why train in skinning at all if the value of the skins are going to be effected by your level vs the critter level?

That would be like saying any of the NPC merchants we have in the land, are only going to be able to provide services at a level based on how rare the items presented to them are, and if to many of the same item are presented, the merchant can only provide Poor quality services.