Skinning post cap. 10/19/2016 08:09 AM CDT
Post cap the skinning options are rather slim, all being over hunted. Value from over hunting is always down. I would like to ask that this be taken into consideration in the future developments.

Three new areas developed:) fantastic for the game and post cap hunting options. Completly satisfied with the sheere amount of effort and how great these turned out.

Reim
SOS Sanctum of Scales
Confluence

Nothing to skin.

Perhaps there will be something inside the Shadowguard dungeon ruins to skin when it opens (hint hint). The Elven Nations having good need of post cap undead hunting option:)

Aurach
Re: Skinning post cap. 10/19/2016 09:20 AM CDT
It would be cool if the Confluence had a way to skin the elementals. Not that I'm complaining about the loot in there...

The first stop is that all except earth elementals automatically decay and drop loot when killed. And they already have relevant alchemy reagents (well, sometimes you find the elements on the wrong side, but I digress), but I was envisioning something more like what happens with krag dwellers perhaps, also possibly need a blunt instead of an edged weapon to do it well. I wouldn't mind the flare required for MTKs either, though maybe fire flares for the cold side and cold flares for the hot side.
Re: Skinning post cap. 10/21/2016 12:17 PM CDT
Skinning is pretty depressing at cap.

Triton radical spines are worth like 50-500 coins usually

Magus skins up to 2k or so which isn't bad, but you don't run into whole lot of them

Crawler teeth usually 600-1000

Cerebralite tentacles around 400-600

War griffin skins about 1k

No idea about SoS, still haven't gone yet.

Meanwhile, skins off level 30 monsters are selling for 2-3k a piece.

I get that it's a hunting pressure thing, but hunting pressure really should be handled differently at cap.

~ Methais
Re: Skinning post cap. 10/21/2016 01:00 PM CDT
Look on the bright side, though: you could free up a TON of training points from First Aid, Survival, and Trading ranks and put them into something useful, like Dodging or CMan.... :)
Re: Skinning post cap. 11/04/2016 03:25 PM CDT

Any know if loost boosts increasse the value of skins?

~~Blade Aurach the Palestra~~ Wanderer of Mahkra, Night Druid of Isil Dae'gonn, of House Moonshadew Old Ta'Faendryl. ~Relic Hunter~
Re: Skinning post cap. 11/05/2016 08:50 AM CDT
Blessing lore adds modest value if you have 604 up. (1% at 5 ranks, 10% at 95)
Re: Skinning post cap. 01/05/2017 12:37 PM CST
I'm not quite cap yet, but high enough now (95) to be feeling the effects of this for the first time. It would be one thing if "overhunting" (despite lack of options) only affected skinning value, but it also affects bounties, so it's a huge one-two punch.

So far my record high for listening cerebralite skinning is 536 bounty points. By contrast, my highest overall skinning bounties from three other creatures were 1349 (massive black boars), 1160 (direbears), and 1139 (winged vipers). All of those were months after the Red Forest opened, by the way, but even if I don't count those, I've gotten 961 BP out of night mares and that's a swarmy Landing-based hunting ground and at the time I wasn't even 1x Survival like I am now. 815 BP from massive troll kings too, another popular one!

Like Methais said, hunting pressure should be handled differently at cap... but I'm sure that's been suggested a zillion times.

So here's another suggestion if adjusting hunting pressure isn't on the table!

How about adding a small multiplier to the price of skins like, say, 3 silver * creature level? (Or a smaller multiplier to bounty point value in lieu of that, if adjusting the skins themselves lends itself too well to bots or whatever.) That would still leave cerebralite tentacles below the value of the level 24 tree viper fangs I collect from the Vipershroud for alchemy, but at least things would feel a little better.

AIM: sweetleafiara@gmail.com
Re: Skinning post cap. 01/06/2017 04:11 PM CST
It's important to note that creatures that can also drop treasure generally have less valuable skins. Not always the case, but it does seem to be the case with a good number of creatures. I do agree that it sucks particularly when it comes to bounties. With cerebralites you're getting treasure drops that might amount to something, but the low bounties suck.

Also, thanks for buying tons of cerebralite tentacles from Aalish's shop. In case you didn't notice, I apply quality and value parameters that mean only about 2/3rds of the tentacles I skin end up in the shop, and it means I individually assess them all to be certain I'm selling good value skins, as value is what gives you higher bounty payouts. When you get to lich finger bones you'll feel a little better about the bounties.

Sign in Aalish's shop:

<<All bundles are 10 items each. All critter parts are a minimum of EXCEPTIONAL quality. All caedera skins and aivren gizzards are worth a minimum of 1000 silvers (average about 1900). All cerebralite tentacles are mostly MAGNIFICENT quality with a minimum value of 200 silvers (average about 400). All Crawler teeth are worth a minimum of 300 silvers (average about 600). Lich bones are worth a minimum of 400 silvers (average about 1000).>>

The values there are bit out of date, as they do fluctuate. I currently reject any tentacle that assesses at less than 275 silvers, and believe the assessment margin for error is 25 silvers. Lich finger bones probably average closer to 1200 silvers each, and I haven't carried caedera skins and aivren gizzards in ages.

Kerl
Arch Wights new boil earth 03/22/2017 07:33 PM CDT
I'm not sure when it got implemented, been off for a couple months but the new boil earth that the arch wights in the abbey near icemule use is seems a bit overpowered. I have had several charaters out there and if they fail to dodge it, it's an instant kill with no chance to survive even in a group. Before, if you got hit someone still had time to drag you away or try to help but with the second hit coming just a second or so after the initial cast and so far always being fatal, it seems a bit much. This has been true for all of my characters as high as 25, which is the highest I've tried out there so far. I do admit my highest train character is only 39, but I haven't seen another attack that is an almost guaranteed one hit kill from any other mobs that doesn't come with some kind of warning specific to the attack. I haven't tried tree spirits yet but I really dread to see what their is like considering it was more powerful than the wights to start with.
Re: Arch Wights new boil earth 03/23/2017 08:18 AM CDT
The spell got re-written to now be Earthen Fury; there are five (I think it's five) cycles to the attack, and yes, they come every two (2) seconds, fired by the server (so there's no internet lag like when a player issues a command).

1) Get more Dodging ranks (Mobility from a Ranger helps a lot).
2) Get to be higher level than they are. No that I'm a handful of levels higher than the stone giants, I am getting hit by it a lot less frequently.

Also, I believe the likelihood of the creatures using it has been toned down a little bit, but this is merely my speculation; there has been no GM pronouncement.
(Earthen Fury used to be the "go to" first attack for the stone giants, which made it a real crapshoot as to whether I would survive the hunt. Now, they will frequently do something else for their first action: try a Thrown attack [either a random rock, or their maul] or a melee swing or a warding attack or a different maneuver [they have a Tremors-like ability].)
Re: Arch Wights new boil earth 03/23/2017 08:30 AM CDT
Don't feel bad. I've had my bard that's 5 levels over wood wights in Solhaven, get tagged every time they cast Earthen Fury (new 917 - which was Boil Earth). He was killed twice and maimed really bad a third time.

My bard was not encumbered, is 1x trained in dodge, over trained for his studded leather and has decent AGI & DEX stats - yet he couldn't avoid Earthen Fury. I thought the bounty of killing 18 wood wights would have been pretty easy for my bard seeing as he's got 5 levels over them, I was proven very wrong. Perhaps if I was running Song of Luck I may have had a better chance to avoid, but having sonic armor & weapon going, along with 1010 and 1006 eats up a lot of mana. Also trying to lullabye them is too difficult because they're undead (even though my bard can put a sand beetle that's 8 levels over him to sleep).

Needless to say, I gave up on that bounty.

As for Earthen Fury:
The initial cast gives an immediate crit cycle. Every 2 seconds after another crit cycle triggers (which hits with less power than the previous one) for a total of 6 crit cycles. The initial cast is 1 and then 5 more will follow, every 2 seconds over a 10 second span.

How to avoid it:
kill the target
dispell it - I do believe spell 417 would be the spell to do this, though I've never tried it
move rooms and keep away from the caster until the spell wears off

-Drumpel
Re: Arch Wights new boil earth 03/23/2017 09:03 AM CDT
Also, something I'm researching - Wizard Shield (and presumably Wall of Force) seem to be spells rarely used today that might give some benefit. I don't have enough data for a declarative stance, but it appears there is some benefit.

And - especially hunt in groups. As soon as someone is hit (first cast cycle) drag them out of the room! Get away from the caster!

Doug
Re: Arch Wights new boil earth 03/23/2017 10:29 AM CDT
Also, something I'm researching - Wizard Shield (and presumably Wall of Force) seem to be spells rarely used today that might give some benefit. I don't have enough data for a declarative stance, but it appears there is some benefit.
And - especially hunt in groups. As soon as someone is hit (first cast cycle) drag them out of the room! Get away from the caster!
Doug

Not sure about either having any benefit other than giving the user extra DS. Wizard Shield and Wall of Force aren't listed on what is used in defending off spells/abilities that utilize SMRv2.

SMRv2 was released in December 2016 and shows a visible roll.
The primary defense for the defender is calculated using:
Stats
Primary: Agility
Secondary: Dexterity and Intuition
Skills
All skills are weighted equally by the SMR.
Dodging (Spells that give a bonus to dodge ranks are taken into account.)
Combat Maneuvers (The bonus ranks granted by Patron's Blessing (1611) are taken into account.)
Perception
Physical Fitness
Shield Use is used in some cases, depending on the maneuver.
Defender Spells
Heroism (215)
Prayer (313)
Haste (535)
Phase (704) (Sorcerous Lore, Demonology ranks increase this bonus.)
Cloak of Shadows (712)
Melgorehn's Aura (913)
Empathic Focus (1109)
Patron's Blessing (1611)

But, if you're on to something - neat. However, I'm sure someone will pop in here and say - nope, they don't do anything special against SMRv2.

-Drumpel
Re: Arch Wights new boil earth 03/23/2017 10:56 AM CDT
I've been killed on an end roll of 101. Seems kind of ridiculous.

A quick flick of Wyrom's wrist sends a dagger into flight!
The thorny barrier surrounding you blocks Wyrom's attack!
One of the vines surrounding you lashes out at Wyrom, driving a thorn into his skin! Wyrom flinches slightly.
Re: Arch Wights new boil earth 03/23/2017 02:28 PM CDT
Is this the same spell that stone giants and Iloke jarls (or maybe elders?) cast? I think it is. My 52ish bard in stone valley and 82ish cleric in the bowels have died more often since the spell changed. I get they are overhunting a bit, so it's not a complaint. Just an observation.
Re: Arch Wights new boil earth 03/23/2017 02:50 PM CDT
Yes, stone giants/58th (both in Thanatoph, and also inside the Illoke Stronghold) and also Illoke Shamen/67th (inside the Stronghold) both cast it.
I'm still a few levels away--like my decade still starts with a '6', rather than a '7' or more...--from getting into the Bowels to play with the bigger creatures, so I cannot vouch for those.

But yes, my survival went up substantially when I picked up Dodge ranks, and made sure that my PF was at 1x. (Turns out I found some scrolls with Cloak of Shadows, too, so I've been using those when I remember.)
Re: Arch Wights new boil earth 03/25/2017 11:40 PM CDT
My issue with it is the lethality even in a group. I was playing a higher level character that didn't have problems with them and the lower level character was the group leader and I had him set to drag so if I moved it tried to drag him. He survived the first hit barely but by the time I reacted and moved, I ended up in the next room with a dead body.