semi's and combat maneuver skill training costs 07/18/2014 03:13 PM CDT
So I was wondering, given that squares have guild skills, armor and shield specializations available to them that don't require spending combat maneuver points to learn, is it really necessary/balanced to make it costs more cman points for semis to learn say shield bash than a square (who might not even need to spend cman points to learn it)?

I'm all for balance and having each profession have unique skill sets/abilities. I feel like stopping magic and absorbing elemental damage was kind of a bard in sonic armor or using song of noise only ability, and both the armor and song of noise have serious flaws that can't be overcome through training. My problem with the way some of the shield and armor specializations were handled, is it seems like squares can now handle magic better than me by deflecting elements or magic with their shields. Meanwhile I can't even add flares or ensorcelling to my sonic shield, armor or weapons.

In closing please look at either reducing the higher cman costs for semis, or expanding the list of armor shield skills, particularly any that allow for the blockage of magic or the elements, as that skill by rights should be the province of ranger imbued or sonic armor wielders, not rogues and warriors imho.

Archales
Re: semi's and combat maneuver skill training costs 07/18/2014 05:09 PM CDT

I agree this is one area that needs to be looked at from a development perspective, both in the post capped areas and in the pre capped areas.

There was once a time where squares had x and pures had y and semi's had a bit of this and a bit of that, and most semi classes are still more than capable at hunting. But the introduction of self spell items, self knowledge items, various effects, and the expansion of SMAN and CMAN skills while leaving out Bard's and Ranger's has left an odd gap in the breadth of available styles that are viable at least until post cap, and watching my spell list being dolled out in self mana items without an exchange of self stamina cman items it a bit annoying.
Re: semi's and combat maneuver skill training costs 07/19/2014 10:33 AM CDT
I can't speak to your development desires, but the element deflecting shield maneuvers only flare rarely, and are largely inconsequential for a shield using square. So while there may be some things you'd like to see, the grass on the other side of the fence isn't really that green.
Re: semi's and combat maneuver skill training costs 07/21/2014 09:31 AM CDT
I just want Sonic Shield Song to get elemental (and Lore-boosted, of course...) flares.
While I would prefer both Offensive [i.e. 'sbash'] and Defensive [when swung at], I would certainly settle for just Defensive.

Getting that put in, might even make me un-train the (average of 6.5 Runestaff ranks/level) SorcerBard back into sword-&-board, just for the shield-y flares.
Re: semi's and combat maneuver skill training costs 07/22/2014 10:22 PM CDT
Grouping all semi classes together might be erroneous, both for CMAN costs and the subject of the thread. The availability of CMANs is pretty balanced among the semis, but this seems to be the main method used to distinguish the classes in this regard. I should note that paladins are semis yet have armor and shield specializations. Personally I tend to view paladins as the most square semis and bards the most pure semis.

My two cents on the topic is that the CMAN costs divided as 'square,' 'pure,' and 'semi' is kind of the primary pitfall along the lines of inquiry here. Lumping squares together is pretty reasonable (there are only two anyway), and even though my main is a pure it's hard to complain too much there because the number of skills and costs are meant to be high (though between doubling the CMAN cost and the very expensive cost of the Combat Manuever skill is kind of a double-wammy).

If there was going to be development work in this regard, one might think to break the semi costs down by class, slightly open access to some more CMANs (although the costs newly available CMANs could be more on par with present costs). Still, it sounds like a lot of work for not a lot of gain in my opinion.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: semi's and combat maneuver skill training costs 07/23/2014 03:17 AM CDT
<<My two cents on the topic is that the CMAN costs divided as 'square,' 'pure,' and 'semi' is kind of the primary pitfall along the lines of inquiry here. Lumping squares together is pretty reasonable (there are only two anyway), and even though my main is a pure it's hard to complain too much there because the number of skills and costs are meant to be high (though between doubling the CMAN cost and the very expensive cost of the Combat Manuever skill is kind of a double-wammy).

Correction, there are three square professions: Warriors, Rogues, and Monks.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: semi's and combat maneuver skill training costs 07/23/2014 05:31 AM CDT
>Correction, there are three square professions: Warriors, Rogues, and Monks.

In CMan availability terms, monks fit with paladins rather than warriors and rogues. There's a huge gulf between cman availability for the other 2 and monks. Its swings and roundabouts between monks and paladins.
Re: semi's and combat maneuver skill training costs 07/23/2014 08:06 AM CDT
An unnecessary observation by Lord Obvious but it's funny that Paladins are the semis and Monks are the squares...and not the other way around...perhaps if they were released in reverse order the opposite would be true.