Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/23/2014 03:47 PM CDT
I have a hunting partner who is a monk, and when we go bandit hunting, he has NOTHING that isn't society related to gain credit like any of the other professions.

The spell Vertigo seems like it SHOULD be giving credit, is this an oversight?
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/24/2014 06:31 AM CDT
This is just one symptom of monks being released on a design that was many years out of date. Other squares have had huge increases in their multiple attack and disablement capability in that time but monks are back somewhere before the MOC/beserk upgrades. And its just got worse since release. Other classes that already had several have been given additional tools in this area. Monks remain with none.

Vertigo doesn't actually disable critters when they fail a warding roll. That's down to hidden checks made later. If the critter is killed before any of those checks are made, which will happen quite a lot in a big group, giving AG credit on vertigo would be giving credit so someone that had contributed nothing by way of damage or disablement to the kill. It doesn't really do anything for the profession to give AG credit for throwing a bit of mana around uselessly.
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/24/2014 09:18 AM CDT
Pup is a ranger that swings a sword and hunts bandits with casters and bow users. Everyone has a lot smaller rt then him. Yes he does have fury for mass hit but really all I do is swing once at each bandit. Works pretty well and he isnt too far behind the others in kill count.

I am not saying mo ks dont need something just pointing out its possible to do this in a group
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/25/2014 04:46 AM CDT
Yes, the most effective monk build is an imitation ranger. Physical armor, use a bow and that opens up mfire. You think this means monks are fine?
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/25/2014 03:17 PM CDT
I am simply saying the op is possible for a monk. Heck I have had monks doing bandits with us. A mass hit spell or ability is not required to do so. Can the monks be improved? Yes. Can every profession have room for improvement yes. Does it mean in this case monks are broken....no. monks can and do easily hunt bandits in groups with out falling far behind
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/25/2014 06:25 PM CDT
I do bandit tasks with groups of warriors, where we avoid mstriking to be sure everyone gets a hit in. Sometimes our groups include monks, and they get their hits in too. Group bandit tasks aren't that difficult if your group acts as a team. You don't need a multi-attack method, just good teammates. I can't speak to the over-all effectiveness of monks, but that wasn't the question was it?

Kerl
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/26/2014 09:19 PM CDT
>The spell Vertigo seems like it SHOULD be giving credit, is this an oversight?

Yes, it was an oversight in the original coding. It is now corrected.

>he has NOTHING that isn't society related to gain credit like any of the other professions.

However, I'm not sure what you mean here. Even setting aside combat, maneuvers, and the direct damage spells (all of which contribute to "credit" for creatures), Force Projection (1207) and Confusion (1211) also count. (And now Vertigo/1219 counts as well).
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/26/2014 10:04 PM CDT
OK, this isn't quite on topic; but yes, any profession can hunt in a group if everyone takes care to let you get a hit in. But as a general rule ... well, let's just say that monks, hunting alone, suck big time. OK, if you converted a high level warrior or rogue or whatever to a capped or near capped monk, you can do well. Trying to bring up a monk from level 0, using UAC and wearing robes, (which is what they are designed to do) I got seriously frustrated. I ended up having to underhunt by 5 levels to avoid getting slaughtered. I have taken every other profession up to at least level 40, and capped 3 so far. I gave up on my monk at level 9. It just wasn't worth the heartache.

Yes, I could make her more viable by fixskilling her over to, say, ranged weapons, and bump up her armor etc., but then why bother having a monk in the first place? Better off being a ranger or rogue. I have 2 rogues who are now purely brawling. The UAC rocks from ambush; not so much so from the open.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/26/2014 11:22 PM CDT
Whee!!

Thanks, Finros!

Doug
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/26/2014 11:49 PM CDT

Thanks, Finros!
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/27/2014 07:00 AM CDT
>I do bandit tasks with groups of warriors, where we avoid mstriking to be sure everyone gets a hit in.

And if they don't? You can join in the mstriking and not be much worse off. The monk can't. In with a like level group, the monk has to be babysat, other professions don't.
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/27/2014 09:11 AM CDT
>>And if they don't? You can join in the mstriking and not be much worse off. The monk can't. In with a like level group, the monk has to be babysat, other professions don't.

I am going to say then that you are doing something wrong. I've hunted with a monk in a group doing post cap bandits. The monk has zero issues keeping up with the kills and at times will finish bandits before I do. No need to slow down for the monk. No need to wait for the monk. No need to babysit the monk. As mention if you are in a GROUP, fight like a group and support each other. Not be greedy and take all the kills. In a group Mass attack spells are not needed.

Pup's Player
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/27/2014 10:07 AM CDT
Pup, in a GROUP, the mass disable spells were giving credit.

E-wave, symbol of sleep, quake.. they ALL give credit without harming the creature - and as Finros posted, it was indeed an oversight (thank you so much for fixing!).

I'm not disagreeing that people in a group shouldn't be greedy, but I'm reading your post with a more negative tone towards any other monk than the one that you've hunted with, as I'm sure some other people are as well.

Just my two cents.
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/27/2014 10:22 AM CDT
Yeah maybe I was a bit negative on the tone there. Yes the spell was broke and now fixed. I'm all for improving things for everyone and in this case yes it should give credit to monks when used. Am glad the GM noticed and fixed the issue.

With that said, what I am trying to say is you do not need a mass affect to be effective in a group hunt for bandits. I have witnessed a high level monk that easily keeps up with the rest of the group. Its doable and very effective in a group hunt. Saying monks are not effective just because they can't hit every bandit at once is simply wrong. I'm not sure if its due to laziness in tactics, the need to kill everything at once so the hunt is done in 5 seconds or some other reason? I can't know the motivations behind it. BUT with a little work in how a group works a monk has zero issues keeping up with the group.

You can take this as me being negative. I'm simply pointing out a false statement is all. I know a number of monks that are very successful. I also realize that monks do need work on but heck you are talking about a very new profession compare to the rest of the ones in game. A course there needs to be work.
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/27/2014 10:48 AM CDT
My only issue with monks is the speed at which they are able to kill. Other professions seem to be much faster at it. Of course it depends on hunting style I suppose, but I'd love to see or know of examples of monks being able to kill even remotely as fast as a pure, or any other class really.
Granted I've only taken a monk up to 30ish, but I can't see it getting much faster than I was already killing.
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/27/2014 01:03 PM CDT
There's a reason I posted this in "game balance". ;) My girl's been hunting with a monk from TKs to the Rift, and I have sympathetic pains for how he's had to really push to keep up with me. Our hunting goes something like: E-wave/force barrier. Then 702, jab/punch/kick/grapple, rinse & repeat until creature is dead.

That works in a small group. That even works in a larger group if everyone is courteous. But it's not exactly balanced, and that's why UAC for monks is somewhat of a joke: you'd be better off as a rogue, or even a paladin with regards to TP costs and rewards at the higher levels.

Its a step in the right direction, though, and I am supremely happy that Finros (and the staff) took the suggestion to heart and made a change for the better.
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/27/2014 03:43 PM CDT
Another item for your list: Adventurer's Guild temporary flares do not work with UAC gear (this has been BUGGED in game).
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/27/2014 04:51 PM CDT
L 48 rogue vs like level critter; the buckler barely slows her down, nor does her armor.

>>[Darkstone, Dungeon]
The floor is slimy under your feet, and very slippery. Water seems to be running in trickles down the corridor from the east. Scuttling noises fill the air, but with all the echoes in this intersection, you can't tell where they're coming from. You also see an iron door.
Obvious exits: east, south, west
H>
Loud clicking noises vibrate through you as a kiramon defender darts in.
H>kick def left leg
You leap from hiding to strike!
You make a precise attempt to kick a kiramon defender!
Your attack is hindered by holding a glistening sea-blue buckler!
You have good positioning against a kiramon defender.
UAF: 281 vs UDF: 278 = 1.010 * MM: 73 + d100: 98 = 171
... and hit for 51 points of damage!
Wheel kick connects with the left leg, tearing into tendons and muscle.
The kiramon defender is knocked to the ground!
The kiramon defender is stunned!
Roundtime: 6 sec.
R>hide
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>pun def head
You leap from hiding to strike!
You make a precise attempt to punch a kiramon defender!
Your attack is hindered by holding a glistening sea-blue buckler!
You have excellent positioning against a kiramon defender.
UAF: 281 vs UDF: 218 = 1.288 * MM: 85 + d100: 63 = 172
... and hit for 54 points of damage!
Awesome punch to forehead snaps head straight back with a sickening CRUNCH!
The kiramon defender clicks one last time and dies.
Roundtime: 4 sec.<<

OK, now THAT's what I'd like to see a monk be able to do, but while attacking from the open. But that's not what does occur. I'd strongly suggest giving monks a serious professional bonus to their UAC attacks. Wearing cloth armor is bad enough of a handicap. Throw them a bone; increase UAF and MM values, and increase crit levels on damage done. (I tried adding S&H and ambush to my monk's skill set, and fell woefully short on TPs).

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/27/2014 09:56 PM CDT
>Another item for your list: Adventurer's Guild temporary flares do not work with UAC gear (this has been BUGGED in game).

Yup, I'm aware of that one. I'll have that updated in a day or two as well.
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/28/2014 10:17 AM CDT
>Then 702, jab/punch/kick/grapple, rinse & repeat until creature is dead.

If pures were restricted to spells below about 12th level, they'd be decently balanced with monks. However, if they want to, they can throw more mana at a critter and blow it away immediately or even blow away a swarm immediately. The monk has to go through a period of plinking before the blowing it away option opens up. This enforced plinking severely depletes the monk's capacity outside of a sparse hunting area.

>OK, now THAT's what I'd like to see a monk be able to do, but while attacking from the open.

In a sparse hunting area the monk can do this. 13s when the dice roll favorably is about right. Generally at low to mid levels such areas can be found. Higher levels get trickier. We really need a spell like Provoke, but that turns down spawning rather than turning it up.

>With that said, what I am trying to say is you do not need a mass affect to be effective in a group hunt for bandits. I have witnessed a high level monk that easily keeps up with the rest of the group. Its doable and very effective in a group hunt. Saying monks are not effective just because they can't hit every bandit at once is simply wrong. I'm not sure if its due to laziness in tactics, the need to kill everything at once so the hunt is done in 5 seconds or some other reason? I can't know the motivations behind it. BUT with a little work in how a group works a monk has zero issues keeping up with the group.

Maybe try this quiz.
You are in a hunting group of 5 hunting an area where you regularly hunt solo without issues. Your partners all say they are well fried and have been for some time. You are muddled and have struggled to get your mind that full, because the moment you plink a critter the rest of the party finishes it off, and your plink isn't enough for more than token experience.
Do you
A) lie about the state of your mind in order to get the unpleasant experience over as fast as possible
B) tell them you are muddled but have no way of improving on that due to their inability to comprehend and act on how UAC works and insist that the party leaves, either with you muddled, or without you so that you get a chance to fry solo,
C) not have the faintest idea one way or another because you aren't a monk and never get put in that position.

Bear in mind that there are only about 4 players that have played a monk most of the way from 0 to cap, and one of those routinely chooses A. Just how sure are you that your external judgement of how a monk is doing is correct?

Bear in mind also that haste or Tonis can make a huge difference. A monk with a pocket bard or wizard doesn't have a problem keeping up. They may find the scroll gives them a headache, but they can close their eyes and spam punch and keep up. Its still a pretty horrible experience though.
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/28/2014 01:14 PM CDT
>My only issue with monks is the speed at which they are able to kill. Other professions seem to be much faster at it. Of course it depends on hunting style I suppose, but I'd love to see or know of examples of monks being able to kill even remotely as fast as a pure, or any other class really.
Granted I've only taken a monk up to 30ish, but I can't see it getting much faster than I was already killing.

You can never kill as fast as a pure can over a short time span, but if they are conserving mana rather than throwing their top spells around like candy, there are situations where you can manage. e.g I did the Krolquest with a high level bard running Tonis and a bunch of pures. (I wouldn't have signed up for the quest unless there was a high level bard already on it) Because I was getting in 2 or 3 hits to their one, and the critters were being reinforced fast enough to drag combats out, I was dealing out a respectable amount of death and destruction compared to the pures. Also in Shadowguard, there was an area where the critter reinforcement rate was fast enough to drag combats out and I could get a respectably awesome kill rate (and really spin up my favor). Normal hunting grounds its much rarer though, because the critters have too many tricks and if the combat gets dragged out some critter or other will get off its one-shot ability and some (or all) of the party will get one-shotted.

Every once in a while the skittles line up, but its paltry compared to what a pure determined on using up their mana to blow stuff away fast can do pretty much whenever they feel like it.

The changes Keios made to allow qstrike auto targetting will allow a certain amount of stamina powered faster killing without the aid of haste, but I haven't had much of a chance to work up the best tactical combinations yet and I'm not sure if the stamina is being charged right yet so its difficult to be sure until I know that too. Pay stamina, get speed, its really what monks need, but I want to see if the stamina charge works out right before giving it the full Hallelujah.
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 06/28/2014 01:32 PM CDT
<<Maybe try this quiz.>>

I'll chime in here. As far as completing bandit tasks, it is easy. I just hit one of each and presto it's done.

As far as frying (especially from belled) on a bandit task, it won't happen unless your team is trying to let you. Or if there's a wizard hasting you.

Keep in mind I haven't really played anything but monk since I came back, but with that being said, I don't find it frustrating to hunt solo or in groups. I agree that monks are obviously underpowered compared to the rest of the classes, but I got to cap with basic gear and a lot of that was soloing.

I guess I mean to say, not being the best doesn't mean you're worthless.

And monks are obviously the most classy. So.

-The mind behind Rowmi's eyes.
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 07/05/2014 12:42 AM CDT
>>The changes Keios made to allow qstrike auto targetting will allow a certain amount of stamina powered faster killing without the aid of haste, but I haven't had much of a chance to work up the best tactical combinations yet and I'm not sure if the stamina is being charged right yet so its difficult to be sure until I know that too. Pay stamina, get speed, its really what monks need, but I want to see if the stamina charge works out right before giving it the full Hallelujah.

The stamina charges are correct, with the caveat that the cost of quickstrike for Jab was reviewed and reduced to be equivalent of quickstriking with a dagger.

-KEIOS
Keios is pretty amazing. ~Wyrom

Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 07/05/2014 08:11 AM CDT
According to cman help qstr, the minimum cost is 8. If dagger and jab don't qualify for that, what does?
Re: Monks & the Adventurers Guild 07/07/2014 04:29 PM CDT
>>According to cman help qstr, the minimum cost is 8. If dagger and jab don't qualify for that, what does?

The 8 cost listed is actually a base cost, not a minimum cost.

All quickstrikes start with a base cost of 8 stamina, and then the weapon speed modifier is added to that.

When 8 is referred to as the minimum, it is meant that even a weapon with a 0 speed or an innate haste effect would not reduce the cost below 8.

-KEIOS
Keios is pretty amazing. ~Wyrom