bolt AS 01/19/2013 03:10 PM CST
are sorcerers' bolt AS's that much lower than other professions?

at cap, with maxed DEX and maxed spell aim I'd only be able to muster a ~437 bolt AS, and that's WITH Curse of the Star, Sigil of Major Bane and Sigil of Offense providing a total +68 bonus.

is there any other way to boost it? and if other professions are higher than that, why are sorcerers being penalized so badly? I think most professions are bolting at 460+ or something with self-cast bonuses.

~Moredin
Re: bolt AS 01/19/2013 06:03 PM CST
A quick look at the spells seems to confirm your math.

Cleric:
Bravery/Heroism = 40
Benediction = 51
91 total, plus 1 for every 10 ranks of Blessings Lore
Requirements: 1x Cleric circle at cap, 15 ranks of Major Spirit (very easy, nearly guaranteed by cap)

Empath
Bravery/Heroism = 40
Intensity = 55
95 total, plus 1 for every 10 ranks of Blessings Lore
Requirements: 1x Empath circle at cap, 15 ranks of Major Spirit (very easy, nearly guaranteed by cap)

Wizard
Elemental Targetting = 50
Elemental Focus = 63
113, without the possibility of self-cast Spirit Strike, however
Requirements: 1x Major Elemental at cap, 75 ranks of Minor Elemental (somewhat challenging, some builds will have this by cap)

Sorcerer
Curse of the Star = 38
88 total
Requirements: 1x Sorcerer circle at cap, 75 ranks of Minor Elemental (very rarely accomplished by cap)

I didn't even take Bolt AS into consideration a few months ago when I did a self-cast comparison, but the conclusions I came to then were that Sorcerers have the worst self-cast DS in the game, and BY FAR the worst self-cast melee AS in the game, not to mention limited melee combat applications. A little bit of math did indicate that post-cap Sorcerers might surpass similarly trained post-cap Empaths, but only slightly, and only with significant training in our least favored spell circle.

So . . . yet another stat in which we are at the bottom of the barrel. It also strikes me as odd that the maximum AS we can muster self-cast also has steeper training requirements (by the standard training of the profession) than others. I don't begrudge Wizards their best bolt AS, especially since it comes with the melee penalty imposed by Elemental Focus, and the lack of Spirit Strike. They also have the "second" hardest requirements for their outcome.

To echo a sentiment from a few months ago, and expand upon it:

Why do we have the worst self-cast DS (in all but a handful of situations), the worst self-cast melee AS, and the worst self-cast bolt AS? We don't have the "worst TD", in that we have a balanced Spirit and Elemental TD, but we hardly have the best TD either, in that Wizards have higher elemental TD and clerics and empaths have higher spirit TD (and thats fair, honestly, but it can't be counted for us, since we aren't better, only equal).

>Barnom says, "Like sage and nutmeg."
Re: bolt AS 01/20/2013 11:59 AM CST
Why do we have the worst self-cast DS (in all but a handful of situations), the worst self-cast melee AS, and the worst self-cast bolt AS? We don't have the "worst TD", in that we have a balanced Spirit and Elemental TD, but we hardly have the best TD either, in that Wizards have higher elemental TD and clerics and empaths have higher spirit TD (and thats fair, honestly, but it can't be counted for us, since we aren't better, only equal).

It's because scroll infusion is usually factored in when balancing your class.

Dgry
Re: bolt AS 01/20/2013 12:31 PM CST
Then why isn't Charge Item and Enchant factored into Wizard balance? After all, they can enchant their own armor and weapons to 7x, so wouldn't that warrant a DS penalty of about 15 compared to other classes? They can get effectively permanent access to spells, even more long term than scrolls provide, through rechargable magic items, and can double-train MIU very easy to get tons of duration. Where is the penalty there?

Don't get me wrong. I don't think that should actually happen. But we shouldn't be bad because Scroll Infusion exists.

Re: bolt AS 01/20/2013 12:47 PM CST
I think he's joking. The condition existed before Infusion.

Doug
Re: bolt AS 01/20/2013 02:31 PM CST
>>Why do we have the worst self-cast DS (in all but a handful of situations), the worst self-cast melee AS, and the worst self-cast bolt AS?<<

Because you are paying for those years when sorcerers were overpowered; the Gms hate you. Or maybe because sorcerers just suck P

>>Wizard
Elemental Focus = 63
113, without the possibility of self-cast Spirit Strike, however
Requirements: 1x Major Elemental at cap, 75 ranks of Minor Elemental (somewhat challenging, some builds will have this by cap)<<

Meh; I never even use 513. Irrelevant to a warmage. I can still hit things with bolting; critter bolt DS is usually a fair amount less than their DS vs weapons. If I can hit them with bolts without using 513, sorcerers can hit them even better. Also note that I CAN use spirit stike; I just get some blue crystals and multi-charge them. Oh, and please note that sorcerers can use pure potions/211 imbeds, 513 scrolls, 215 items and all sorts of miscellaneous junk (enhancive items, signs/symbols/sigils etc.). Whoever collects the most toys gets the better bolt AS.

I know, I know ... you are just comparing the basic bolt AS adders of each profession; but really, by the time you get to cap you should have all sorts of nice toys to play with. Also, the bread and butter of sorcerous hunting is CS based spells. I suspect the designers just tacked on balefire as a sop to sorcerers who wanted to bolt.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: bolt AS 01/22/2013 03:40 PM CST
we also have the most expensive bolt spells, right?

I think it's significant because if I'm going to spend 11-13 mana (more with demon flaring) for one bolt spell I want to be reasonably sure I'm going to make solid contact. hard to do with sub-par bolt AS.

~Moredin
Re: bolt AS 01/22/2013 03:43 PM CST
and getting 75 ranks in the minor elem circle is WAY post-cap, IMO. most of us get sorcerer ranks first.

~Moredin
Re: bolt AS 01/22/2013 04:21 PM CST
<hard to do with sub-par bolt AS.

Actually, my capped cleric hunts with a capped sorcerer on a regular basis. The sorcerer has a bolt AS a whole 1 lower than my cleric.
Re: bolt AS 01/22/2013 04:41 PM CST
we have to spend a more mana and do a more work for less AS. and IMO, elementalists should be better bolters than spiritualists.

1 bolt AS less than a cleric is way lower than where I think sorcerers should be.

~Moredin
Re: bolt AS 01/22/2013 04:49 PM CST
The capped sorc is getting an AS boost from your capped cleric casting 307, and possibly 211 and 215 depending on lores.

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: bolt AS 01/22/2013 05:06 PM CST
and getting 75 ranks in the minor elem circle is WAY post-cap, IMO. most of us get sorcerer ranks first.

Well, I wouldn't say that; with the CS boost that 425 gives, most sorcs have 75 ranks of MnE by cap, or close to it, at least.

Doesn't negate the fact (not opinion, but numerical fact) that of all the pures and pure hybrids (clerics, sorcs, wizards and empaths, for those confused) sorcs have both the most expensive (mana wise) bolt spells and the worst AS. Obviously, someone has to be the worst, but by class focus/descriptions, I would say that should be empaths...

Of course that's made up by having the most powerful CS spells. Oh, wait, that's bards, followed closely by immolating wizards. Ah well.

I just want to add in my semi-regular plug for a bolt variant of 705 based on necro lore, necro-bolt, with a damage over time effect similar to holy bolt, but works on all things. It's not like it would be hard to code, the code already exists for holy bolt, nor would it be overpowering (if done right, with the correct DF and all)

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: bolt AS 01/22/2013 06:13 PM CST
I think he's joking. The condition existed before Infusion.

Doug

I wasn't joking. I believe it was stated as a reason when this initially came up around the time the curse of the star was introduced as a bolt AS booster. The fact of the matter is that the sorcerer class isn't that far away from where empaths and clerics are. Since sorcerers usually choose classes with good dex (delfs) and spiritualists usually choose something with good spirit regen (things with crappy dex mods) sorcerers in the real world will usually (but definitely not always) come out ahead of empaths/clerics.

In all but 1 capped hunting ground, you will always come out ahead of empaths and clerics, and usually ahead of wizards due to scroll infusion. It only takes 1 outside spell to overtake the spiritualists. You have relatively easy access to three (513, 211, 215), spiritualists have easy access to one (513). For all practical matters that puts you ahead.

If you took a hit to your ability to charge 513, 211, and 215 you'd probably be considered for a boost to curse of the star.

Dgry
Re: bolt AS 01/22/2013 11:39 PM CST
>> I wasn't joking.

Ah, apologies, then.

>>I believe it was stated as a reason when this initially came up around the time the curse of the star was introduced as a bolt AS booster.

I recall it being opined by members, don't recall it being asserted by NIR. Could have missed it.

Flip side, though -- if it wasn't contested by NIR, then silence is often taken as concurrence, too.

I do recall one very important point that was made during that discussion in that context you offer, though, Dgry. It is more and more a challenge to 'buy in' on this point.

>>It only takes 1 outside spell to overtake the spiritualists.

This holds true in round robin fashion -- spiritualists only need 513, wizards only need 211 / 215, and we're back to the same perspective. These spells are generally available, and as a result the only 'benefit' Infusion carries in this scenario is that it is cast for cast 'easier' for the sorcerer to benefit from these spells.

Which started the dialog about the extra training / implements required to gain that benefit -- again positioning the sorcerer collective opinion that at best it is a wash, thus the sorcerer still remains bottom of the stack.

And again, here we are. For my part, it's a pickle. No doubt about it.

Doug
Re: bolt AS 01/23/2013 09:27 AM CST
<The capped sorc is getting an AS boost from your capped cleric casting 307, and possibly 211 and 215 depending on lores.

-Richard/Fjalar.

No. Self-spelled only. We were not even grouped when casting. We were very careful to not have outside spells on us so we could get base numbers.
Re: bolt AS 01/24/2013 12:41 AM CST
>Actually, my capped cleric hunts with a capped sorcerer on a regular basis. The sorcerer has a bolt AS a whole 1 lower than my cleric.

All other things being equal (Race, Stats, Society, outside spells), and the Cleric AND Sorcerer both being optimally trained for bolt AS (much harder to do for a Sorcerer), this would not be the ordinary scenario, however, the differen't wouldn't be all that much higher. A Cleric with no blessings lore would only have 3 extra points of bolt AS, but many Clerics DO, especially raising clerics, and that could account for a LOT more, I'd say as much at 10 extra.

And as mentioned, a Cleric can hit this "maximum bolt AS at spell ranks per level" as early as level 15, and then gradually increase as their Cleric circle rises. Sorcerers would have to 1x both Sorcerer circle AND Minor Elemental until level 75, which is very unusual and would gimp the Sorcerer in Sorcerer spell ranks and their already poor DS (because they need some Minor Spiritual, afterall, and it gives more DS than Minor Elemental).

Re: bolt AS 01/25/2013 08:58 AM CST
I haven't played a sorcerer since the mid 90s, but are you sure going 1x+ 700s/1x 400s is unusual? It strikes me that 100s would be the more likely spell circle to tank once you have the essentials. That would only hurt your DS, if anything, right? Whereas you can train 2.x per level in spells, place 1x in 400s and the excess into 700s to maximize your CS and bolt AS via 425. Do I have that wrong? That's how wizards do it. We train 1x 500s/400s, and tank 900s until level 75. Sacrifice DS for CS/AS.

I think the problem is not so much the AS disparity, but the combination of reduced AS, low diversity of options, and low DPM spells. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the ball spells available to sorcerers quite low on damage output relative to their mana cost? 111 is just a lame version of 908, where the caster is far less likely to have the benefit of fire lore. I don't know much about balefire, but I can't imagine a level 13 bolt (it is 13 mana to cast, right?) could be anything but lackluster. Bolts are simply too unreliable with being unaimed and the crit sliding to cost that much mana.

Wizards are successful not only because we have the highest AS, but because we also have a variety of bolt spells with a range of effects. For instance, I can use Tonis bolt to reliably change the outcome of a battle in terms of the AS/DS component on the following attack due to the knockdown. I can use rapid fire 901 to save mana and quickly wipe out enemies. I can choose the right element to exploit a target's weakness because I have the whole range of elements to choose from. And if I need to pull out the big guns where mana is no object, I have the expensive firepower with major shock and hurl boulder. The diversity of options gives us the ability to choose the right spell for the job.

If bolt spells are to be more than an afterthought, sorcerers need better and more varied bolt options. In particular I think they need a far more efficient option on the level of a minor fire as far as DPM goes (I don't think they have one, right?).

~Taverkin
Re: bolt AS 01/25/2013 09:21 AM CST
713 is the hardest hitting ball spell of all ball spells, based on DF. Whether it is worth 13 mana is a subjective opinion, of course. One benefit to 713 is the extra crits from demon support, if you go that route, but it is a PITA and like all sorcerous things requires components, at least to summon the demon initially, and then requires guild work if you ever want to bring your demon into town. And we all know how much a PITA guild work is. Regardless, 713 does hit hard.

Sorcerers do not currently have a variety of bolts. Same number as clerics and empaths (3: all 3 classes have 111 and the bolt version of 118, while sorcs have 713, clerics have 306 and superpaths have 1110 (which in and of itself is overpowered, hard hitting DF AND a follow on CS effect...) As has been shown, all other things being equal, sorcs have the lowest bolt AS, which admittedley, used to be even worse prior to some recent changes. Still the worst, though.

I agree, we need more bolt options. I'll repeat my call for a bolt version of 705 based on necro lore (aka necro bolt, with a follow on acid effect like 306)

I would prefer two more bolt options instead of just one, but I would be happy with at least one. Certainly, sorcs shouldn't have as many bolt options as wizards, but as a mix between spiritualists and elementalists, we should at least be better than the spiritualists.

As for training, my experience is that most sorcs keep 400s at level, 700s at level +20 and 100s as they can, after getting 120.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

Re: bolt AS 01/25/2013 09:25 AM CST
>I haven't played a sorcerer since the mid 90s, but are you sure going 1x+ 700s/1x 400s is unusual?

Its more that the prevailing opinion tends to favor overtraining to 21 ranks over level in Sorcerer circle, which, on top of a minimum of 120 (but often higher), doesn't leave a whole lot of room to also stay 1x in Minor Elemental. I won't say that no one does it, but its pretty hard to pull off unless you are going for a pure CS build.

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the ball spells available to sorcerers quite low on damage output relative to their mana cost?

I don't know if I'd say THAT, but they are very mana intensive, which prohibits low level bolting. Fire Spirit isn't quite a lame version of Major Fire . . . it is basically Major Fire with an extra 3 mana cost, but it uses Spirit Summoning lore INSTEAD of Fire lore, and those who are serious bolters often train heavily in Spirit Summoning for that purpose. This might even be superior, since many Wizards will train in lores such as air, which ties up ranks per level, while Spirit Summoning is just about the only useful Spirit lore for Sorcerers.

Balefire is pretty amazing in damage output, it has the best DF except Major Acid, and even then, its still better in some AsGs. Its not entirely mana efficient as a BOLT spell (because Ball spells don't fill quite the same niche), but its good. It also has bonus flares if you have a Demon with mana, something I don't think any other bolt or ball spell has an equivalent of. I've seen clips of Virilneus Balefiring War Griffins for 3 distinct hits (initial AS impact, Demon flare, and ball burst flare). And because its Plasma based, it has very few weaknesses.

>If bolt spells are to be more than an afterthought, sorcerers need better and more varied bolt options. In particular I think they need a far more efficient option on the level of a minor fire as far as DPM goes (I don't think they have one, right?).

This is a very common sentiment. Of course, rewind to 2007ish, and the very idea of getting a bolt was harshly rejected by some of the sorcerer players. I think enough years of CS casting has changed that perspective. Right now, the most common vote is to grant Disintegrate a bolt aspect, potentiall unlocked by Necromancy lore. Its a 5 mana spell, and that fits right into the niche range a lower level bolter would need.

And yes, the lowest bolt we have is Web bolt, for 9 mana.

Re: bolt AS 01/25/2013 11:56 AM CST
I agree, we need more bolt options. I'll repeat my call for a bolt version of 705 based on necro lore (aka necro bolt, with a follow on acid effect like 306)
I would prefer two more bolt options instead of just one, but I would be happy with at least one. Certainly, sorcs shouldn't have as many bolt options as wizards, but as a mix between spiritualists and elementalists, we should at least be better than the spiritualists.

Yes, I quoted myself.

I was thinking what would make a good second bolt spell (if two more bolt options were implemented, with a bolt version of 705 being the first) and I thought of a bolt version of 719....

Unlocked via having 25 total ranks of elemental lores (of any kind), cast for 10 mana, bolt, not a ball, so no splashing, with the DF of 1709, and with possible extra crits. The first crit would be based on the damage, and would be whatever element the sorc is attuned to, or random. Each other element would get a chance for a crit based on the number of ranks of that lore. So, 10 ranks of air lore, 10% of an extra vacuum crit. 5 ranks of fire lore, 5% of an extra fire crit. 100 ranks of earth lore (obviously not very common on a sorc), 100% of an extra crush crit.

Treads a bit on wizard territory, but as we are supposed to be hybrids of spirits and elements, that makes sense.

Too bad it seems sorc dev has stopped.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

Re: bolt AS 01/25/2013 03:46 PM CST
That would certainly change things up! Sounds really cool.

Oddly enough, I'd love to increase our reason to train in non-Sorcerer lores. Not that we need more to train in, but options are nice.

Also: 719 bolt needs to NOT work based on enemy mana like CS 719 does. Thats the whole problem with 719.

Repost that suggestion in the Sorcerer folder? I'll toss in my support there.

Re: bolt AS 01/25/2013 03:47 PM CST
two things in this discussion keep jumping out at me...

1) wizards only need 211 / 215, and we're back to the same perspective. These spells are generally available,

You're half right. 211 is fairly common and can be bought as pure potions. 215, is much more rare and far higher cost wise to charge. Along with 219, and ignoring the no longer available 318, it's the highest cost spell I've found when charging.

2) Sorcerer bolt AS is lower and mana costs are higher, but the DF is generally higher, and our disabler costs are lower. 8 mana and the critter never stands again. that's 50 DS for 8 mana. No other pure profession that I can think of can boast that. yes, spiritualists have bind for 14 mana, wizards have boil for 18, and of course they can ewave of tremor, but that's just RT, at best. Empaths can bone shatter for 6, but again, that doesn't ensure the critter is on it's back afterwards.

There's nothing terribly wrong with balefire from a balance persepective IMO. If you want to be 100% bolter...roll up a wizard. I don't believe balefire was ever designed to create a new class of sorcerers who primarily bolted. Like any other spell, it's part of the arsenal, and used with a little bit of strategy is amazing.

2.5) the extra cost for demon bolts really doesn't factor in. 1) you can fill the demon's head with mana while you're sitting on a node resting. if it runs out mid hunt and you can't must the extra mana, it doesn't make the spell useless, just takes out the extra punch.

D) None of this changes the fact that Sorcerers are still in need of the area we are truly best in...but Balefire and bolt AS just isn't the place to spend the energy on.

>Because you are paying for those years when sorcerers were overpowered; the Gms hate you

This may be close enough to true, but when sorcerers were that overpowered we were still paying hourly for internet and empaths couldn't hunt creatures they could learn from without a group. Time to move on.

--Jurp
Re: bolt AS 01/25/2013 10:20 PM CST
While I don't think the GMs hate any particular profession, this certainly resonates:

>>when sorcerers were that overpowered we were still paying hourly for internet

Too true!

Doug