Game balance? 10/27/2011 07:38 AM CDT

Something you see during invasions?

Most typical is cone from wizards... Doesn't kill those that aren't grouped.
Major wave... Frowned upon in certain areas.
Meteor swarm... Same as major ewave

I've noticed wizards aren't involved mostly in group slayings.

Open implosion, maelstrom, are two spells frowned upon in invasion circumstances.

Most people (most!) know when to use their magic for offensive purposes.

Clerics/empaths have a CS based attack that effects everyone in the room. If the spell only effected creatures on open cast. That in my mind would be fine. I guess for shattered purposes where PvP is available it could be a good tool.

All in all wizards are a bit focused on not killing everyone around them.
Depressing to take snouts caster so long to spellup and barely miss the TD roll and be crit killed with 30 points of damage.
Re: Game balance? 10/27/2011 02:04 PM CDT

during last night's invasion in the landing, there were multiple casts of meteor swarm that I nearly succombed to...and no open implosions I was aware of, though when a sorcerer uses that spell against a vathor, it will flip it back on the caster (for those that weren't aware.) Also, implosion will often shatter anything stunned when cast open, so it can be a very useful tool in some situations...

my 2 silvers
Re: Game balance? 10/27/2011 03:17 PM CDT
Very useful in situations, yes. I don't know who casted meteor swarm. I noticed it in tsc and ran like dickens, but clerics and empaths have a spell that makes a TD check. You fail that roll in the slightest and it has great crit capabilities.

If that was a MASS critter, just like cone of lightning. I wouldn't be saying anything. Only purpose for that spell to effect what it does is for PvP on a mass degree.

It's like major ewave, implode, meteor swarm gives a warning.

The spell could be used focused, for critters or for that one person that's causing trouble. Not saying PvP is ok, but for role-play sake. Goodness....

I guess invasions, in town is a free for all.
Re: Game balance? 10/27/2011 03:18 PM CDT
>>I guess invasions, in town is a free for all.

Pretty much!

~Galenok
Re: Game balance? 10/27/2011 03:24 PM CDT
I'm done with this topic but it's bull. Make cone effecting everyone again. I need to breathe, woo-saaaa
Re: Game balance? 10/27/2011 06:55 PM CDT
There was also open imploding that killed a number of defenders last night.

Kerl
Re: Game balance? 10/27/2011 11:08 PM CDT
<<Most typical is cone from wizards... Doesn't kill those that aren't grouped.

I'd argue that there are quite a few invasions that use creatures that cone bounces off of AND hits everyone in the room. It's fun to watch that!

-Aulis
Re: Game balance? 10/28/2011 06:51 AM CDT

I agree it has NEGATIVE side effects

I'm not saying for their spell to bounce back.
I'm not saying to weaken.

I'm saying it should effect all NPCs or 1 direct cast on PC
Heck with that said like Sunfist damage and crit weighting . You could give the spell a extra damage against critters.

Major, minor wave isn't able to used in all senerios.
Implode isn't either.

It would be nice a empath or cleric doing rescues, and casting without killing any other running to save the same person.

Just my 2 silvers worth.... Maybe I'm just wishful
Re: Game balance? 10/29/2011 01:39 AM CDT
I may be alone, but I actually like aoe's having the chance to kill other characters.

I miss cone + clouds affecting others. Having to use caution when using those spells kept them balanced without requiring stupid mechanics like reflection and auto-fleeing.

The game's too disneyfied these days for my satisfaction.

Dgry
Re: Game balance? 10/29/2011 10:23 AM CDT
I honestly can't recall a time when cone ever affected anything other than NPC.

Clouds, absolutely. And I would say you're not alone, Dgry. In fact, I'd say one of the sweeping changes that brought about some of our current challenges was the decision to make spells more 'friendly'.

Doug